Graphics...

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Rocket Boy
Coder

Graphics...

Post by Rocket Boy »

I need a way to copy a selected part of the screen, and then put it back in. It also needs to be able to clip, hold an image as big as 640x480 and has to be fast... so GET/PUT might not really cut it. Any ideas?
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Look up the PCOPY command Rocket Boy. or if your in FB lookup screenset and screencopy (which are quite fast :-).
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
m2j

Post by m2j »

Welcome to the World of ASSEMBLY...

or libraries.

or reorganising code/limiting your program to run w/qb.

matt
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

one word: RELLIB. Really, that lib kicks ass.
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Try writing your own ASM code, "WHAT!??!?!?!?!". ASM is a breeze once you get the hang of it (takes about 1 day). You would need to copy all of the pixel data into a buffer, and then copy it back to the screen, VERY EASY to do in ASM!
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Zamaster wrote:Try writing your own ASM code, "WHAT!??!?!?!?!". ASM is a breeze once you get the hang of it (takes about 1 day). You would need to copy all of the pixel data into a buffer, and then copy it back to the screen, VERY EASY to do in ASM!
Yeah, if I could find a tutor that explains how to plot memory points...
m2j

Post by m2j »

QBTM

Post by Guest »

What about GET and PUT in Freebasic? No size limit...
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Anonymous wrote:What about GET and PUT in Freebasic? No size limit...
Free memory, with some nice swap handling (done by the OS) you can sometimes allocate even more..

I've used GET/PUT buffers of over 200mb in size without problems in FB
I have left this dump.
Nemesis
Coder

Post by Nemesis »

Z!re wrote:I've used GET/PUT buffers of over 200mb in size without problems in FB
Wow, I wasn't aware FB could handle memory sizes like that!
I'm anxious to experience FB for myself but, frankly I don't need all that power since I can pull off feats like that with QB. (Let me highlight the word " like" :wink: )
Anyways, I've recently D/L FB's win32 compiler, and docs...
So I might make the switch anyways.
Zamaster wrote: ASM is a breeze once you get the hang of it (takes about 1 day).
Are you an ASM promoter/advertiser? Seems like you want him to think ASM is simple. Let's put it in a more reality type perspective, I'd say ASM would take an average beginner prograqmmer atleast a few months to get the hang of. Even QB would take a week or so in my opinion.

Cya,

Nemesis
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Z!re wrote:
Free memory, with some nice swap handling (done by the OS) you can sometimes allocate even more..

holy crap... now how much *ram* do you have? I only have 128 (old stick went bad :-() so would that work for me? virtual memory, or what?

???
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Nathan1993 wrote:
Z!re wrote:

holy crap... now how much *ram* do you have? I only have 128 (old stick went bad :-() so would that work for me? virtual memory, or what?

???
I have 256MB on this machine, I used to be 128..
I have servers with 512MB though..

Also, like I said, swapping..

I've allocated 2.2GB without problems using FB, ofcourse my HD's went insane when allocating it :D
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

2.2 gigs? holy crap... thats awesome... wonder if your hard drive can go bad from using VM so much, from having to spin and locate so much stuff to ofton... like, you know... having to look at so many parts of the HD at once...
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Simple ASM DOES take about one day. Learning basic commands is easy, JUST AS EASY AS QB!... well not quite, but close! All one needs to do is get the hang of the stack and registers and then your well on your way to being a
good ASM programmer!
RUN\DOS\RUN
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

first, that was a reply to a dead topic... and second, what the heck are you talking about?
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

I know its dead, but I havent been on in a while so I looked at the replies to some old topics. Im referring to how ASM is not too hard to learn.
RUN\DOS\RUN
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Nathan1993 wrote:2.2 gigs? holy crap... thats awesome... wonder if your hard drive can go bad from using VM so much, from having to spin and locate so much stuff to ofton... like, you know... having to look at so many parts of the HD at once...
The more a HD is used, the shorter it's life will be, true.. but I have working HD's that are from 1991, I even have one from 1980 something, 20MB i beleive..
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

That one guy whos name I cannot spell: I know, but how does that relate to the topic?

Z!re: Thats freakin awsome! If I were you I would make that into a speaker (http://www.sorgonet.com/trashing/speakerbox/)
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Somewhere along the line somebody mentioned something about copying the screen using ASM. I said it wouldnt be too hard to learn if they wanted to. Somebody else told me that ASM was too hard for a beginner, I said no it isnt. Just follow the trail of comments.
RUN\DOS\RUN
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

actaully, (no offense if you see this rocket boy) but someone who doesnt know enough about memory to make a buffer CANNOT learn assembly very well, i have tryed many times... but I am learning Java now, and my friend is letting me borrow one of his many c++ books soon.