EMS and XP...what's going on?

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Levi
Veteran

EMS and XP...what's going on?

Post by Levi »

Okay I'm not totally familiar with the inner workings of XP and how its different from all of the other OS packages I've used. With the exception of ME which also has the same problem, or how to use EMS at all. However whenever I try to run a program that uses EMS it says EMs is not available.

I looked at computer settings, program access, what the program itself does, looked on the internet for tutorials on such things, and found in the options menu of the QB programs, the ability to turn EMS on or off. And yet that still doesn't work. Anyone have a solution for this?
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer
Neo Deus Ex Machina

Post by Neo Deus Ex Machina »

Windows XP... hrmnnn ;)

Try this in the given order:

#1. The EMS setting of the EXE. Right click the EXE, select properties, goto memory and set EMS to Auto and XMS to Auto, everything to auto if you wish.

Doesn't work?

#2. Activate EMM in Windows XP. Goto the root folder of your OS (usually C:\WINDOWS), and go into the folder 'System32'. Look up the file called 'CONFIG.NT' and open it with notepad. Check out the last lines of the file, is there a line saying 'EMM=RAM'? If there isn't add this line to the file (at the end). Don't forget to add empty lines to the end of the document (needed by WinXP somehow).

Doesn't work?

#3. Goto your BIOS settings by resetting the computer and pressing Delete at the memory/IDE check. Deactivate any devices you don't use (in Integrated Peripherals I think). This is to free mem for the EMS Page frame. Usually Network connectors, and USB Mouse/Keyboard soak up most mem. Try deactivating these. NOTE: do you have a USB Mouse/Keyb, buy a USB to PS2 adapter.

Doesn't work?

#4. Install other OS like Windows 98 and check if it works with that OS.

Doesn't work?
-> Usually the answer is then that your Motherboard doesn't support EMS.

Let me know if it works ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Any news?
Levi
Veteran

Yes...

Post by Levi »

Sorry, yes there is news. It finally works. I had done that same thing with turning everything to auto and it hadn't worked that's why I was so frustrated. But now it seems to have decided to work. Go figure. Well anyway thanks.

Oh and the reason for the wait is I was moving into the dorms and there was a screw up on my user account so I couldn't sign in. Had a mess load of back emails and everything to go through. Oh well, later days.
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer