online games again!

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

D.S
Coder

online games again!

Post by D.S »

Ok. A while ago I posted a topic on "online multiplayer". In it, I said I basicaly knew what to do, and just needed a little help. Now, after looking into it, and with a new game almost ready for level design, I've decided that I don't know how to go about online multiplayer. Can anyone give me an overview of how the whole thing would be done? (someone told me something about kahn server, but I googled it, and I didn't find anything useful). :cry:
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

http://descent2.com/kahn/

if that dont work i have a version to send you
but it will be 2 weeks before i get back home...
D.S
Coder

Post by D.S »

No, sorry. The site doesn't work. I read up on modem usage, though, and can most probably make a 2 player online game, but I really want to make one for 2 or more players, where anyone can go online and see what servers are active. I don't know the first thing about this, though. Is kahn an actual server, or is it the program to make your computer a server?

Another question is, would anyone actualy play an ascii online multiplayer game? There's going to have to be enough people online at once for a game to get going, and I don't want to go to the trouble to code multiplayer if nobody will do it.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

D.S wrote:No, sorry. The site doesn't work. I read up on modem usage, though, and can most probably make a 2 player online game, but I really want to make one for 2 or more players, where anyone can go online and see what servers are active. I don't know the first thing about this, though. Is kahn an actual server, or is it the program to make your computer a server?
i'm not sure why you say it doesnt work, i click on the link
and it works...are you saying you dont understand anything there?

kahn is a server that allows you to run a WIN95 or DOS game
online...i never tested it but its suppose to allow you to
run a server from your PC or website.?..

Another question is, would anyone actualy play an ascii online multiplayer game? There's going to have to be enough people online at once for a game to get going, and I don't want to go to the trouble to code multiplayer if nobody will do it.
well thats probably a good question, there use to be lots
that would play i dont know now.....i supose that if you
get out there and advertise it alot of MUD/TELNET people might
try it....there are a few other text based(ascii) games
out there that do having followings, id say on a GOOD
day though you probably wont get more then 10-15 players
MAX to play....the one notable on i have played is a military
game called empireclassic it has a following of about 15 dedicated
players per game on a GOOD day generally though
only 10 or so...

wait for a couple weeks i'll send you the stuff i have on
the kahn server....then you'll have to study it....
D.S
Coder

Post by D.S »

Hmm. Well, I can't get the links to work. I'm thinking of just doing the code myself, but I don't know how to send information to multible clients. You seem to know your stuff. Is it easier to get Kahn, and figure out how to work it, or to make my own server program?
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

D.S wrote:Hmm. Well, I can't get the links to work. I'm thinking of just doing the code myself, but I don't know how to send information to multible clients. You seem to know your stuff. Is it easier to get Kahn, and figure out how to work it, or to make my own server program?

well i dont know alot about networking but
it would seem better to make a DOS(qbasic)
program and then let kahn handle the rest...