I'm bored and have been bored for too long

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

{Nathan}
Veteran

I'm bored and have been bored for too long

Post by {Nathan} »

I need a challenge. I am fresh out of ideas. I want to do the current map challenge, but I do not have any ideas. Also, if anyone can write a tutor on how to use useless sock lib, than I would have something to do. I never got very good at using libraries, so I don't know how to use Direct QB, Dash, or CosmoX either, so I would like a tutor about those too, but not too, well, meh, you know,
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Vic did a very good tutorial on how to use DirectQB, plus the DirectQB tutorial document is very thorough. Future Library also has great documentation.

Here's the DirectQB tuts I mentioned:
http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tut ... tor19.txtp
http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tut ... torial.txt

The Future Lib tut comes packaged with the library, or you can find it printed in one of the old QB Times issues.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Pete wrote:The Future Lib tut comes packaged with the library, or you can find it printed in one of the old QB Times issues.
When I got it, it didn't, just by the way. I'll check the QB times. Also, that still dosn't solve my original problem.

:roll: i am bored!!! :wink:
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Your first problem was that you were bored, so I suggested something constructive for you to do.

...Seriously....
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I didn't think anyone actually used Useless Sock, so I never bothered making any tutorials for it... :shock: I guess maybe I should then, eh? :D
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Well, I am sure some people use useless sock. It would be very useful for this current challenge, too. Also, I want to do something constructive, but I have done all my puzzles, lost my lego and am sick of my k'nex, and what the heck am I supposed to do with 500 popsicle sticks? (I really have 500 of them...)

I need more. Mabye if I have something else to do, you wouldn't get another bill for 2 cents, lol
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Nekrophidius wrote:I didn't think anyone actually used Useless Sock, so I never bothered making any tutorials for it... :shock: I guess maybe I should then, eh? :D
I just downloaded it... and it looks nice. Maybe I'll use it for a project in the near future ;) Btw, the BMP thing doesn't work :(
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

The BMP routine is a strange beast...I already know that it does not work properly when windowed in XP, it needs to be run fullscreen from the very start (before you even run the EXE, it needs to be configured to run fullscreen). It's also possible that the techniques used for the BMPs aren't effective on all video cards, especially certain newer NVidia cards. It looks like this is the start of yet another compatability battle.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I run everything in fullscreen from the start (using VDMSound etc), and it still doesn't work. I've got a GF4MX440SE videocard. Argh... compatibility battles... I'll take a look at the code some time to look what's going on ;)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I noticed a problem with the BMP routines on our GF4MX4400 as well. The BMP routines make use of a special palette trick that might be unsupported on this particular nvidia chipset. It's very possible that enhanced textmode options were cut from the design of the MX series to reduce costs.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hmn... so it's my GF4MX440... oh well, it only cost me 99 euro over a year ago ;)

But why the palette trick? It must be possible an other way... ;)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Using "standard" palette methods don't work as they should. It seems the VGA registers ignore requests to modify the palette at certain values...so what I found I could do is use the second set of values (16 thru 31) and set it there, then remap the original 16 to the second set of 16. This doesn't seem to work on MX-based cards though, as we've now both seen...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes, I knew about the fact that the standard VGA DAC cannot change some colors in text mode (like color 6).

But your lib only uses 16 colours for loading the BMP? Then you could do colours 0-7 excluding 6 I believe, and colors 16-23. These are changeable in Pure QB...
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Yeah, 16 colors...hence why it supports 16 color BMP images :D but it already uses colors 16-23, and it fails on these chipsets. :(
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah :D But I just tried this program:

Code: Select all

DEFINT A-Z
FOR I = 0 TO 31
   OUT &H3C8, I
   OUT &H3C9, 0
   OUT &H3C9, 0
   OUT &H3C9, 0

COLOR I
   PRINT "TEST COLOR" + STR$(I)
NEXT I
And colors 0-7 excluding 6 and colors 16-23 excluding 22 got black black, as expected. So altering colors 16-23 excluding 22 does work this way... ;)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

TOPIC PEOPLE! BTW, I am not quite bored anymore (I got a nintendo ds a long time ago) but still, future ideas?
Mitth'raw'nuruodo

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

Nathan1993,

Why don't you just do a porgram thats a first
person shooter and you have multiple weapons:
flamethrower, shotgun, missle launcher mabey...
and you have to stop the rampaging rabid squrrils from
taking over the town, eh?

:lol:

-Mit
Mitth'raw'nuruodo

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

Oh yeah,

Mabey some other weapons too like a Paintball gun or a toothpick...

Come on thats a game worth creating, taking a toothpick, a flamethrower
or a shotgun to rampaging rabid squrrils! :twisted:

Of course there might be some moral issues in that...but what games now
a days focuses on morality? :wink:

-Mit

P.S. Mabey you could make them supersquirrils with jetpacks for an extra
interest keeper, or mabey boss squirrils too...oooh. :D
Your imagineation is the limit.