Quickbasic 7.1 Program questions

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Annorax

Quickbasic 7.1 Program questions

Post by Annorax »

Hello all.

I've been programming Q/Quickbasic for many years now. I started on my first computer, nearly 10 years ago. I wanted to get into some QB programming (for kicks) so I looked for my old Quickbasic 7.1 program and put it on my current machine that's running Windows 2000.

But I've been having these odd quirks with it. First of all, at startup, it says some annoying Microsoft message and I need to press a key to continue. I don't recall that there on my old computer (with same program) but I could be wrong. And in windowed mode, the mouse doesn't work. And finally, when I hit Open or Save and the dialog box opens, it first scans both my disk drives (yes I have a 1.44 and a 1.2 on this machine!) before opening the window, and I know it didn't do that on my old computer.

Are there any ways around these annoynces? Thanks for any help.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Sounds like you're using Windows XP. XP has a lot of problems running the QB IDE, especially with legacy floppy drives. Plasma made a "hack" of the IDE which fixes the floppy read problem though, you can find it on qbasicnews.com's forum. As far as the mouse goes...you're s.o.o.l. there...run it fullscreen.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Eh Nek... he said he used Win2000... ;)

Annorax:
Windows NT based systems with a NTVDM have the problems with the mouse, as in Windowed mode, only key input is checked. (NTVDM is a DOS "Emulator", actually a Virtual Dos Machine).

About the floppy drive problem, listen to Nek.

And the Microsoft window at startup, I think it has to do with the fact you first have to set the paths correct. I don't know about QB71, but in QB45, there is a menu, "Options", and in that menu there is a "Set Paths" entry. If that doesn't work, there probably is a PIF file in the QB directory, delete this PIF file or adjust it to your needs.

Hope this helped,

Neo
Annorax

Post by Annorax »

Thanks guys for your help. 8) I'm going to look into that patch to fix the floppy drives. It happens whenever I hit Open a file and whenever I change directories, making finding my old programs very time consuming!

The startup message isn't an error or anything, it says something about how this is a copyright Microsoft product and some other stuff, I'll get a screenshot of it later. It's just kind of annoying since it appears there every single time I start up the program.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Oops, sorta missed the 2000 thing. Well, it makes no difference, as they both use the exact same NTVDM. XP = 2000 in a clown suit. :D

Post by Guest »

I'm looking at that forum you suggested, and did a search for floppy disk problems, and looked for the user Plasma like you suggested, but I don't seem to be finding anything...
Annorax

Post by Annorax »

That's me, my computer for some reason cleared the cookie for this site. :roll:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous wrote:I'm looking at that forum you suggested, and did a search for floppy disk problems, and looked for the user Plasma like you suggested, but I don't seem to be finding anything...
Here it is: http://forum.qbasicnews.com/viewtopic.p ... ec916f6e80
Annorax

Post by Annorax »

Thanks, the problem is solved. 8)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Annorax: No problem ;)
Nek wrote:Well, it makes no difference, as they both use the exact same NTVDM. XP = 2000 in a clown suit.
No, not really. They both differ on some aspects of high-res emulation, like the mouse in high-res :)