A suggustion, pete

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Should Pete give sub-domains/folders?

Yes
No votes
No
43%
Only if its free
14%
If he does, I will donate to him
No votes
If he does, I will add him to the hall of fame
No votes
If he dosn't, I will riot and hack his site until he does
29%
I don't care, I am to lazy to keep my own website
14%

Total votes: 7

{Nathan}
Veteran

A suggustion, pete

Post by {Nathan} »

well, we all know that many QB sites have been giving out subservers/folders for them to have there own websites. You should do that too, pete! if you did, I would get as many tutorials as I could and put them on my own little website thingy... i shall beet you pete! I am a tutorial freak, ever since I noticed that QB wasn't dead on the web...
potato

Post by potato »

but his url is petesqbsite, and that doesn't really look good for people who aren't named pete
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

but, what if you did what i want to do? mine would be

tutorial(something, I don't no yet).petesqbsite.com

heh

Potato? You have a wierd name, I know potatos taste like crap but just put tons of salt and pepper on them.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I'm not gonna host sub sites here for a few reasons...
I don't have enough server space. I've got just 500MB, and I've used something like 300MB of it.

As Potato said, the URL is petesqbsite.com. Most people wouldn't want that address, especially when there are better QB hosting options like digitalblackie, zext.net, hulla-balloo, qbrpgs.com, etc.

My site is one where users submit their own content (programs, tutorials, news, etc.). People therefore don't need their own sites to get free hosting.

It would be extra work to set up and maintain accounts. I really don't feel like doing it, heheh.
So I really don't see the need for it.

Also, as far as making your own QB tutorials site, you could go ahead and do it, but I also see no need for it. Expecially if I'm hosting it on my own server. I've spent dozens of hours collecting QB tutorials, and as far as I can tell, I've collected the majority of the ones available on the Internet. There are currently 315 tutorials in the section, and then there are about 300 more that I'm working to add soon. That will be over 600 QB tutorials, which is more than six times more than the second largest QB tutorials collections -- QB45.com and the old Simply QB site.

If you decided to collect *more* tutorials than me and put them on your own site, you could do it. But chances are, since I've already put the work in and collected the vast majority of QB tutorials out there, you'd just be hosting the same tutorials I've already collected. It would be redundant. You might also be tempted to simply download all my tutorials and then host them on your own site, which would kinda piss me off, since you'd be stealing my work. (In fact, that would be the fastest, easiest and most logical way to do it -- why reinvent the wheel? Why format and archive hundreds of tutorials you find on your own when I've already done it?)

And if you find QB tutorials that I personally haven't collected yet, why don't you just submit them to my site? Having all the tutorials organized in one place is a better option than having them spread out all over the Internet.

Anyway, I don't want to discourage you from starting your own QB site, but if you do, work on creating new / original content instead of just mirroring a laundry list of stuff you've gotten from other sites.

(I know my site mirrors stuff from other sites, but I was the first person to propagate it all together on the same site, so it's original content... if somebody else hosts the "Zines" section or all of the tutorials I've collected, it would no longer be original content...and therefore, what's that point? At least that's how I see it.)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I remember back in the "olden days", the trend was to create a QB site and host the same files that everyone else hosted. It was pathetic. Now, the trend is to make a QB site out of a forum. Also pathetic. At least the "we're making the best RPG in history!!!!!!!!11111111" QB site trend was bearable...
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

hey, it was just a suggustion, and btw, how do you spell suggustion? i suck at spelling real bad and thats not counting when I am typing, too...

lol
barok
Coder

Post by barok »

Also note Nathan, that pete said his bandwidth was all used up during the qb express release.
I have no sig.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Note that if everyone in the QB Community downloads a 1 MB magazine, of course he'll reach his bandwidth limit ;)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Pete, consider mirroring the zine. We'll (digitalblackie) provide a mirror if you'd like.