Using DS4QB and DirectQB at the same time.

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

MilesAway1980
Coder

Using DS4QB and DirectQB at the same time.

Post by MilesAway1980 »

Hi everyone,
Is there a way to use the graphics capabilities of DirectQB and the sound capabilities of DS4QB at the same time?

DS4QB relies on the CALL ABSOLUTE, or something similar, feature to work. To get that to work, I need to type /l on the command line.

However, DirectQB needs a /ldqb on the command line to work and QBasic won't accept both.

I tried QB.exe /l /ldqb but it comes up as an error.

Is there a way to use both at the same time? I know DirectQB has sound capabilities but they're very limited compared to DS4QB (64kb max wav files vs. any length MP3 or OGG files.)

Any ideas? Or is there just a great graphics/sound library that does both that I don't know about?

Thanks!
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

DirectQB should be built with the default library, so all you would need to do is /l dqb on the command line and it should have ABSOLUTE included. That is, of course, if you built it correctly. All the /l switch does is say "hey, load a library". When you use /l by itself without parameters, you're telling QB that you want to start it with the default library, which includes the functions ABSOLUTE and INTERRUPT. But since DirectQB is normally built with these functions included, you just use /l dqb and you'll have it all.

I'm surprised anyone's still using DS4QB. I guess I can still be proud to say that it was my innovation all those years ago. :D
MilesAway1980
Coder

Post by MilesAway1980 »

Nodtveidt wrote:DirectQB should be built with the default library, so all you would need to do is /l dqb on the command line and it should have ABSOLUTE included. That is, of course, if you built it correctly. All the /l switch does is say "hey, load a library". When you use /l by itself without parameters, you're telling QB that you want to start it with the default library, which includes the functions ABSOLUTE and INTERRUPT. But since DirectQB is normally built with these functions included, you just use /l dqb and you'll have it all.

I'm surprised anyone's still using DS4QB. I guess I can still be proud to say that it was my innovation all those years ago. :D
I just found DirectQB recently and it looked like what I was looking for, so I'm giving it a try. :)
As for the issue, I tried changing the command line from /ldqb to /l dqb and it didn't make any difference. I can use DirectQB commands, but CALL functions such as ABSOLUTE and INTERRUPT still give me an error. Any ideas?
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Rebuild the library. But this time, be sure to include the default quicklibrary.
MilesAway1980
Coder

Post by MilesAway1980 »

No go.
Tried rebuilding the library on several different occasions and still can't use CALL ABSOLUTE and the like. Not sure of too many different ways I can correctly build the library, especially since it has a built in library builder that takes care of everything for you.

Is there a way to use both the libraries at the same time? Can't you link libraries or something like that? Never done it so I'm not sure how.

Thanks.