How much is QBasic still used?

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

SlowCoder
Coder

How much is QBasic still used?

Post by SlowCoder »

In what environments is QBasic still used as a development tool?

My primary reasons are nostalgia and DOS compatibility.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

probaby not much...sometimes someone finds an old BASIC program being used by someone but its rare.
Ralph
Veteran

Post by Ralph »

Only last year, we were still seeing signs of high school kids being taught QB and VB. Now, I hardly see request for help from that source. And, with icrosoft's not supporting VB anymore, we will be seeing less and less people using the BASIC-based languages. There are a few small groups of very good programmers who post and help in various QB forums, such as this one, but we are seeing a reduction in most of them.

So, if you want to help, start posting questions, program snippets that you find interesting or problematic, and such.
Ralph, with QuickBASIC 4.5, operating under Windows XP, wiht anHP LaserJet 4L Printer. Bilingual in English/Spanish
SlowCoder
Coder

Post by SlowCoder »

Ralph wrote:Only last year, we were still seeing signs of high school kids being taught QB and VB. Now, I hardly see request for help from that source. And, with icrosoft's not supporting VB anymore, we will be seeing less and less people using the BASIC-based languages. There are a few small groups of very good programmers who post and help in various QB forums, such as this one, but we are seeing a reduction in most of them.
Yes, I'll admit that's a shame. Languages like BASIC and C are elemental languages. They present to the programmer a more low-level programming requirement, unlike many of the newer languages like .NET. The newer languages pretty much do everything for you through the many myriad of function calls available. While this often allows a higher rate of development, it limits the programmer's knowledge.

It really is a shame to see such a language go by the wayside. But I think it will continue to be something of interest to some, even if nothing more than nostalgia or a step in the learning process.
Ralph wrote:So, if you want to help, start posting questions, program snippets that you find interesting or problematic, and such.
I think you'll start to see this from me.
Ralph
Veteran

Post by Ralph »

One thing more, maybe the most important one! Do try to answer and participate in helping those who do ask questions here. Don't help by posting your program as the answer, rather, try to give hints and direct the original posters (OPs), so they can develop their own code. From time to time, we get someone who just want to get a program made for him. Don't! If they are not interesed in coding and learning how to code, I don't think we should be just working for them. If they are interested in learning, I'm all for helping those.
Last edited by Ralph on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph, with QuickBASIC 4.5, operating under Windows XP, wiht anHP LaserJet 4L Printer. Bilingual in English/Spanish
SlowCoder
Coder

Post by SlowCoder »

Don't worry. That is my philosophy. I don't believe in doing work for others. :)
SlowCoder
Coder

Post by SlowCoder »

I do have some old software source I would like to contribute. Where is the most appropriate place to post it?
TmEE
Veteran

Post by TmEE »

All my Sega Mega Drive / Genesis dev tools are written in QB45... same goes for Saturn and Dreamcast once I take these up...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa :P
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

PDS 7.1 (QBX if you prefere) is used for the development of QBinux (QuickBasic lINUX, if you prefere)...
QBinux is a Linux distribution with the aim of integrating the work of the vast community of free software developers at Pete's QBASIC Site in order to create a modern, performant, safe and easy to use system for system administrators and desktop users.