SVGA in QBasic question (from Tolga Sizene)

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

SVGA in QBasic question (from Tolga Sizene)

Post by Pete »

A question from a QB Express reader...
Hi!.

I really need help. I am triing to set a svga screen in qb4.5. I've tried 'call interruptx' and even 'call absolute'. And I set the svga screen. Since I have a LCD monitor, the systems with a CRT monitor installed, does not runs my program. The monitors say, 'out of range'. So, I've learned that there is a CRTC table and I've learned the ports. And the 'EDID'. But never ever succeed on setting a svga mode with correct refresh rates.

But FB does it. I beg you, please develop an article about that. How to set a svga mode with correct refresh rates ? Please include examples.

In fact, it is all in english and it is senseless for me.(just for me). ex : 'Horizantal Sync Total' It is 1240 for a 1024xYxD screen. But why ? The other parameters are the same. The pixel clock ? The color clock ? Please help. Also, Does it matter if we set a svga mode in 16 bits mode (pmode I think) ?. I mean, If we use, 32 bit mode with linear addressing, does it make a change ?

Thanks....

Question 2: How to write our own 'call absolute' command in assembly. Any ideas ?. setting CS:IP to a point and return back to the caller when finishes. ???

Note : I don't want to use FB, instead I am creating my own sub commands like; 'Load.Pic Sting$, Pic.No%, PaletteFlag%" etc..
Note : You can modify my post, cuz my english really sux.

Special Question : Is antony gual alive ? :D If so send my regards....He is my idol but he doesn't know yet...

Tolga Sizene
Kiyotewolf
Veteran

Major problems with LCD

Post by Kiyotewolf »

If you search for posts by the author Kiyotewolf , you should be able to find the post I wrote that covers the QB code for call interrupts.

With the LCD monitor problem, I have a few questions.

1. Is it a color monitor? or B/W?
2. You are obviously running underneath Windows, .. unless you are down in DOS.. if you are under windows still, are your video card settings set up so that your monitor doesn't go into refresh rates and resolutions that are unusable by your monitor? Your code might be requesting for resolutions or refresh rates that can be removed from the availability in your card settings so it takes the prefered one that actually works.
3. I've used Antoni Gaul's code, and I sometimes got artifacts in anything more than 640x480x24bit HiColor, so if you are going that high, you might go over the code for the higher resolutions and make sure there isn't some minor glitch that is making the code fail at that higher settings.
4. If you are having too much trouble, and your code is working alright, move your code from the standard computer into an emulation, which should handle all the mismatching for your program automatically. Meaning, run your code under DOSBOX under Windows instead of running straight from a DOS prompt.
5. If you created a shortcut to the MS-DOS prompt, and enabled XMS/EMS support and all that, double check the settings for resolution and color on that shortcut as well. You might have missed something.

Kiyote!
Banana phone! We need more lemon pledge. * exploding fist of iced tea! * I see your psycho cat and counter with a duck that has a broken leg, in a cast.