nic networking

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

iamdenteddisk
Veteran

nic networking

Post by iamdenteddisk »

two computers conected together through nic cards by a homemade cross over cable.

the network works with html and ip's but howto comunicate between the two in qb4.5?
Kiyotewolf
Veteran

google it?

Post by Kiyotewolf »

If I was going to tackle this problem, I would take 2 steps back, then another 5 to 10 steps back.

DOS handled all this crap way back when, using NETWARE. After Windows came out, they crammed them out of existance. I would seriously look into reading older details about NETWARE style Interrupt calls.

That would mean that you must find a client // server package, or client client package that operates in DOS only environments. Usually, there is alot of environment variable usage when you work with DOS based ethernet connective networks.

The other thing that is something I'm going to research on my own, is to search a place called

http://cd.textfiles.com/

It is a reposit of BBS files that were scraped from the download board sections way back when, and someone managed to collect most of those stolen warez and re-post them for the re-discovering peoples to find again.

Somewhere in that site is a link which paths (leads?) you to the source of the video game DOOM, which was King at DOS only networking, and also if you study the mechanics of it's documentation (game-operation docu's this time), on how to set up a manual DOS network, then study the source code to figure out how they used all that way back when, you should be able to salvage enough super secret spy gadgetry to handle a DOS only (minimum intervention by Windows) type network which is more direct than Window' s pitiful attempt to network. (Barf barf barf.. over Windows networking... GAH... )

That's my two bits.

Kiyote!
Banana phone! We need more lemon pledge. * exploding fist of iced tea! * I see your psycho cat and counter with a duck that has a broken leg, in a cast.
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

thanks

Post by iamdenteddisk »

ok man thanks for the link, I will go see where it goes. warez heck I might have posted it way back-who knows I remember having that source for doom though might be on my comp now.. I got a prety impressive library of all things programing in about any language you want. I just realy need to know what to look for.
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

Wow!

Post by iamdenteddisk »

what a thing indeed, a wealth,Plethora,pandora's box full of information even.. yeah me likes yeah!

thanks again for the link man!

looks like this guy is into the same stuff as me , got the library of Alexandria nested on his harddrive.

he must be an old commodore guy too, ya think?
Kiyotewolf
Veteran

Old Commodore guy I am..

Post by Kiyotewolf »

Mmm.. Old Commodore guy,.. I AM... ** talks like Yoda.. **

Use the force of the Commodore Wedge!

Kiyote!
Banana phone! We need more lemon pledge. * exploding fist of iced tea! * I see your psycho cat and counter with a duck that has a broken leg, in a cast.
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

copy party's

Post by iamdenteddisk »

do you remember the old copy party's all the commie users would have heck I still got a 64/128 and amiga and boxes of software and I think in all every bit might have cost me 50$ it was a better time then even if graphics where bad...

I remember the old game "bongers" was written at one of the party's I attended it was a colaboration and we had "inspiration" then too!

but it just amazes me for all the P.C has become why there is still that thing missing we had then?

I think it is the fact you now need a degree in hiroglyphics to understand the cryptic source code to write you own stuff or a PHD to afford amusing software or risk prison to share it with your friends.

besides emulators, Qb is the closest thing to the wedge we got now and even improved upon some parts yet from there we let technology go the way of quantum physics instead of just perfecting its general science.