10 reasons I still use QB

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Where did you come across Qbasic/QuickBasic?

First Programming Language
46%
Upgrade From Other Flavor of BASIC
46%
Simpler to learn, got confused learning another language
8%
First "Programming Language" used to run scripts
No votes
Used to program in another language (COBOL, ASM, C,C++,ect.)
No votes

Total votes: 13

choasruler5151

10 reasons I still use QB

Post by choasruler5151 »

10. It just works, a DOS based EXE is just as good if written in any language.
9. QB is my first real programming language (not including AS from flash) learned real fast and it stuck, 'Nuff said
8. QB has trillions of lines of code that are up for open source to enhance your program
7. Easy to program, some people claim too easy, this may be so on a low level, however Qbasic is very advanced, and very complex programs are possible to make in a relatively small amount of time.
6. People can actually relate to QB, in one way or another, for most of us, a flavor of BASIC was our first Programming Language. it's easy, quick to program, and for most fast enough to use for most apps (and not to mention you can have direct memory access and built in parallel and COM support)
5. You can actually use QB64 to compile to c++ code, making QB cross platform and even Windows Vista compatible EXE's
4. Variants of BASIC have been around since the days of the first computers, it was the first High-level Programming language. so... shouldn't we stick with the language that has been around the longest?
3. Qbasic's built in help. you literally can learn the whole language from it. Every command has a syntax and an example in that help. If Windows had help that clear, it would be a better world.
2. Unlike C++, Qbasic actually tells you when there is an error and <i> tells you how to fix it </i>

1. Qbasic is a community, I think QB is the only reason DOS still exists for download, because even games are ported, but QB will keep DOS going for as long as our QB Community is around.(At least until they perfect QB64) we are a family, where C++ programmers fight for superiority, we to this day are finding out new ways to use this language that even Microsoft would not have thought of, and guess what? WE SHARE! unlike C++ we have Graphic subsystems that make graphics that are so easy, you could program a game in under a week. and with the tutorials here and at other sites we learn how to use them, we don't seclude ourselves form each other, we cooperate and build upon each others knowledge to create even better works of programming art. And we our proud every time our DOS 'c:/>' shows up because we know that even though we are using a dead operating system, we are still able to make fruitful and productive applications from it's most valuable resource.

...And that is a good enough reason for anyone. 8)
Last edited by choasruler5151 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Programmers write code, yet... so do hackers. how to tell them apart? comments.
TmEE
Veteran

Post by TmEE »

Assemblies and QB are only things that really make sense to me as of yet. I'm doing more stuff in assembly than in QB... 68000 and Z80 asm are what am messing with the most.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa :P
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

been there done that

Post by iamdenteddisk »

I can remember feeding papertape, but my most fond memory's where the basic built into the first console game I ever got. the "odesey" had a very limited basic, nobody told me it was there i just played with it without a cartrige after watching tron to find it did respond to commands such as print and goto. then later the ti994A, the apple 2C at school in basic we all ploted a rocket or two.. but I traded a tenspeed bike for a commodore16 and upgrade in time to the 64/128 and I got good with basic, that is when I first heard/learned ASM and ML then by the time I was good at that the 286's was out there and we all hated PC probably because of CPM experiances, I think the 486 was out before I got the 386 but that was the discovery of QB it resembled the C64 basic but wow!!!! and I just stuck with it as a hobby of course I use many languages and levels now but "quick basic 4.5" give me that wow back and I aint letting it go no matter what.

I dont want no higher or more object oriented then that I done c-c++,html.java that all sux buttermilk . Give me QB and ASM I'm happy.

Now if somone would do a desktop color version of the z80 simular to ti86 then Im interested.

but aslong as its PC I want QB.
and I will settle for eating apples thanks.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

wow iamdenteddisk you must be older than me!!! :)

i only remember back to commodore 64....
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

yup

Post by iamdenteddisk »

Turning 35 this year been playing with computers/games since I first seen them. My long passed uncle was a proffessor at UT and he was a good guy who'd come snatch me at 5-6 yrs old to go to the collage finish his work. he'd let me try to help and I got to see the technology at the school or play a game to stay ocupied while he done something. so I got to see the IBM when it still looked like a big brown and yellow church organ. then their was the movies space odyse, tron, hackers that just shocked the system into assimulation. lol
Also ofcorse the uncontrolable urge to take everything apart that hides in the heart of every real geek.

Im just a little older than QB..