OS

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

izidor
Veteran

OS

Post by izidor »

Is it possible to make OS in qbasic that can be instaled from cd (you can use it with out windows)
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

You can write a program that works outside windows, since qbasic requires only dos. You can even write a GUI shell, with a windows-like interface (the most known one is GIMI)

You cannot write a real OS, since qb runtime library (needed for memory management, strings, file I/O, graphics...) uses some interrupts of DOS, so DOS has to be present.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

I wonder why so many beginners want to make an OS, while they can barely program anything?
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
bongomeno
Veteran

Post by bongomeno »

I wonder why so many beginners want to make an OS, while they can barely program anything?
#1 Its good experience and you can learn alot in the process.
#2 It is good to challenge a programmer to become better instead of telling them that they cant do it.
# 3There is no room for improvement if a programmer does not push himself and what he can do, that is what separates a hacker from a just another programmer that only does it for money.

And who is to say they cant program anything?
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Well, which one are you? A Hacker or somebody who can actually make a living at programming?

I definately would prefer the second option! That is why making an OS is so amusing to me. Why reinvent the wheel? NOBODY is gonna BUY your OS!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
bongomeno
Veteran

Post by bongomeno »

Forget the money for a minute. Some programmers do it only for FUN as a HOBBY. 90-98% of programs written in QB probably hav not made any money at all, but people still use it because it is fun. I would consider a hacker to be more successful because he is the BEST at what he does! Me and my other 'hacker' friends happen to find it easy to make money/get job offers because we are HACKERS. Who would you rather hire, an addictive hacker who loves what he does or a programmer who is only willing to put in half the effort.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

I agree that QB coding is for fun. Not money!

The only real way HACKERS make money is if they can crack somebody else's code and sell the software cheap. Or they blackmail a company.

If you are that kind of person, then I don't want anything to do with you. Your a THIEF! Stay away from hacker sites! They will toss viruses at you.

So I hope you are not one of those people.

You CAN'T make an OS that relies on DOS period! It is only a shell like Windows, lol. :lol:
Pharoah
Coder

Post by Pharoah »

It seems like part of this argument is about the meaning of the word "hacker", which in popular culture seems to have some negative connotations. From the jargon file:
1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary. RFC1392, the Internet Users' Glossary, usefully amplifies this as: A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular.

2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming.

3. A person capable of appreciating hack value.

4. A person who is good at programming quickly.

5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; as in ?a Unix hacker?. (Definitions 1 through 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.)

6. An expert or enthusiast of any kind. One might be an astronomy hacker, for example.

7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

8. [deprecated] A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around. Hence password hacker, network hacker. The correct term for this sense is cracker.
bongomeno
Veteran

Post by bongomeno »

i Would mostly be #1 in that list. i dont steal. I try to push my computer and myself to do MORE that intended to do. and what do you mean about 'hacker websites tossing viruses'?.

hacking=solving problems!

I know people who attack servers and other computers for fun. turns out that they suck @$$ at programming.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

OK, you meant something else entirely. But if you look up hacker, you will find MANY NEGATIVE meanings.

Programming often places a person in a situation that they have to overcome some limitations. But that is just the nature of the beast!

That is probably better described as being persistant than hacking.

WIKI:

In common usage, a hacker is a person who breaks into computers.[1] The subculture that has evolved around hackers is often referred to as the computer underground. Proponents claim to be motivated by artistic and political ends, but are often unconcerned about the use of criminal means to achieve them.[2]

Other uses of the word hacker exist that are not related to computer security (computer programmer and home computer hobbyists), but these are rarely used by the mainstream media.
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

cool

Post by iamdenteddisk »

I think if the definition #1 had the terms "seeker of intimate and ultimate understanding of the inner and outer workings the computer with desire to understand and manipulate or improve its capability's" I could feel comfortable with and fit into that..

If you realy want to write an OS start with ASM learn as much as you can then decompile a bios Rom. <- that is who is in functional control.

the CPU does what rom say's it can.

basicly when the computer starts it runs systems test then hand off control first to bios then to dos or windos/OSX or whatever..

start with a good understanding of Ralph brown's inturupt list to see what is allready there then most of it will need be there but some of the "door" stuff could be junked

most noobies say the hacker problem with computers is their OS but the "Doors" are actuly found on the chip level aswell, that is how each chip comunicates with others and the board. "protocols", create and implement an unhackable protocol and you solve the issue.
Goodluck!