Adding correct answers together to get final score

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

dave_

Adding correct answers together to get final score

Post by dave_ »

I need desperate help with a project i am undertaking. It is in the form of a quiz and uses structed programming ie SUBs and CASEs instead of IFs.
The problem i am having is i cant figure out how to get a score happening.
the program is simple and text with the slighest of formatting only. Every time an answer is correct i need to be able to take it and store it for a few minutes then retreive it when the quiz is over to tell the user how many questions they answered correctly. Any help would be great
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

One word: variables. :D
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Easy!

For when they get one wronge:

Code: Select all

WrongeQuestions = WrongQuestions + 1
And, for telling them which one it is:

Lets say you have 20 questions. At the beginning put:

DIM QuestionNumberWronge(1 TO 20)
CONST Wronge = 1
Then, if they get it wronge:

WrongeQuestions = WrongQuestions + 1
QuestionNumberWronge(QuestionNumberGoesHere) = Wronge
Note that Wronge is a constant and is the equivilant to the number one. It just makes programs more readable.
dave_ forgot to login

Post by dave_ forgot to login »

thanks for the help but i still cannot get it to work. its tells me i have a "duplicate definition". is this becasue im using SUBs?? any way if u could work it out and give me an example of how to give the total CORRECT answers at the end of my 22 questions it would be sweet. Cheers
Levi
Veteran

Post by Levi »

Well Total correct answers is not different than total wrong answers. Simply Change the word wrong in his examples to correct and increase teh number of correct answers and set the array to 1 when correct.

So His code would look like this.
Easy!

For when they get one Right:

QuestionsCorrect = QuestionsCorrect + 1 

And, for telling them which one it is:

Lets say you have 20 questions. At the beginning put:

DIM QuestionNumberCorrect(1 TO 20) 
CONST Correcty = 1 

Then, if they get it right:

QuestionsCorrect = QuestionsCorrect + 1 
QuestionNumberCorrect(QuestionNumberGoesHere) = Correcty 

Note that "Correcty" is a constant and is the equivilant to the number one. It just makes programs more readable.
Very simple. Now I don't claim to be an expert here as I try to avoid learning about local and global variables ( I do this by not programming often) but a duplicate definition usually means you've used two variables with the same name somewhere, two subs, to line positions like using 10 twice or Thisisaline: for using Goto's.

Ummm...I think that when variables are placed into subs they are local to that sub. And so reusing the names shouldn't be a problem. Unless that isn't the case in QB. In which case make sure all of your variables are different. But there shouldn't be a problem there.

If you use a DIM SHARED command with your variables then they become global and you have to make sure no variable has the same name.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.[/code]
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer