Scripting program...

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Levi
Veteran

Scripting program...

Post by Levi »

No not programming scripting, a script database for Speech and theater productions. I'd like to create a program that'll allow for a database of such scripts and then give two forms of help in memorizations. One for monologues and the other for dialogues.

I once attempted this and managed to get it to display each individual line up to each period. This however was a big bust when it came to large scripts. So I need to start from the beginning however I don't know exactly how to make a viable database for this. I had originally made it create different sub directories in the install directory and each had a file that held all of the info on what scripts were and wer not there. But I think I'd prefer having one file that kept track of it all.

Also I'm looking into a method for displaying each indidividal person's line for a dialogue piece in different colors. I have the idea and with my previous program a special way to do it. But I was wondering if anyone else ever tried something along these lines? And if anyone has any pointers.
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer
Jesus McBean

what

Post by Jesus McBean »

I dont think anyone understands what your trying to do
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

You could develop some kind of scripting language, where each line of text in your file is either a command or a piece of dialogue. How I do such a thing is to have commands inside of special characters (usually pipe symbols or HTML-like characters). For example: say you got a piece of dialogue which is said by Joe Schmo, you might have a line that says this:

Code: Select all

|DIALOGUE|JOE SCHMO
Hi, I'm Joe Schmo and I am teh l33t0rz!
Your program would look for any line that begins with the | character and process that line as "code", so to speak. This is just a rough example, I'm sure you can probably figure it out from there. :D