how?

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Sidu
Coder

how?

Post by Sidu »

well.. i just played that rpg with the coony guy in it.. and i was just wondering.. how they made the guy.. and the world.. cause im pretty sure it isnt bitmapping.. and they didnt do it with the circle commands and shit... lol i was just wondering how it was done so i can go learn more about it
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

The Secret of Cooey? If that's the case, the source is included. But, just for you, I'll tell ya. Yes, everything was bitmapped in an external program (tile/sprite editor, probably PixelPlus 256), BSAVEd, and then BLOADed by the game. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go read some of the tuts on Pete's site.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

The Secret of Cooey was made by DarkDread, so the best place to start is probably with DarkDread's RPG tutorials:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tut ... gn.shtml#7
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

The best way to Bitmap with QBasic I found so far, is not with Circle, line ect, but DATA, FOR...NEXT, READ, PSET, GET, and (PUT or BSAVE)..:

--| Code |---------------------------------------------------------------------
<pre><b><font color="#000000">DATA</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">00</font><b><font color="#0080c0">,</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">00</font><b><font color="#0080c0">,</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">00</font>
<b><font color="#000000">DATA</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">00</font><b><font color="#0080c0">,</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">00</font><b><font color="#0080c0">,</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">00</font>
<b><font color="#000000">DATA</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">00</font><b><font color="#0080c0">,</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">00</font><b><font color="#0080c0">,</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">00</font>

<b><font color="#000000">FOR</font></b> y <b><font color="#0080c0">=</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">1</font> <b><font color="#000000">TO</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">3</font>
<b><font color="#000000">FOR</font></b> x <b><font color="#0080c0">=</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">1</font> <b><font color="#000000">TO</font></b> <font color="#0000ff">3</font>
<b><font color="#000000">READ</font></b> z
<b><font color="#000000">PSET</font></b><b><font color="#0080c0">(</font></b>x<b><font color="#0080c0">,</font></b> y<b><font color="#0080c0">)</font></b><b><font color="#0080c0">,</font></b> z
<b><font color="#000000">NEXT</font></b>
<b><font color="#000000">NEXT</font></b> </pre>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made the base image for this image using this method....

Tho, I added to it with a editor, but, that something like how it looked, minus the bump-map and super-nova.

PS: If the highlighted code is to much, I'll change it to code tags.. :wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I preffer rellib.
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

i was actually playing the secret of cooney 2.. (if it matters).. and so he used a bitmap editor.. i used to have 1 i think.. but... it wasnt well made i think.. i could make maps and stuff.. but i couldnt get the file or code.. can some1 tell me of some good editors and stuff?
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

i just downloaded pixelplus 256.. and wow this thing has a lot.. thanks for the help.. and im now checking out darkdreads tuts.. :D
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Yeah, I use PixelPlus256 for graphics, and my own map editor. As DD quite rightly pointed out one day, if you can't code your own map editor, how are you gonna be able to code a game engine?

So now that you have PP256, you should also read some stuff on BLOAD and BSAVE.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

well.. i dont think id have a problem with making a combat engine or something.. right now my problem is not knowing how to put the different files together to make 1 program.. like in the cooney game.. there were maybe 40 different files.. i dont know how to link the stuff together
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Well, to me it sounds like you need more coding experience. Have you done anything game-like to practice your skills in making a game engine?
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

well.. ive learned the basics on my own.. then in school last year me and a friend started a group and we had a couple weeks before school was out.. and we made a hangman game and started a pong game.. but all of that was done in 1 program.. 1 piece of code.. not a bunch all put together and none had any bitmapping or anything like that.. but like ive said... i know the basics.. like loops.. variables.. circle.. pset.. etc.. and screens.. locates.. and i know how to make the ball bounce off the walls and move in pong.. etc.. but i dont have much experience with the bitmaps and editors.. id like to get into it tho.. im just confused on where to start
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

and about an rpg engine.. the character code would just have like..

- counters for exp.. with if-then statements for the level-ups..
- if-thens for spells.. with a randomization based on the level of spell..
- if then for melee.. with randomization based on level of stats.. str.. etc
- if then for armor.. weapons.. etc

... so basically just a bunch of if-thens.. with a variable for armors.. weapons.. skills.. stats.. etc.. so then the combat engine would be like..

my idea for combat.. would be.. certain areas would have certain creatures.. i could change the landscape so people know where they're training.. and in the landscapes i could use the randomization and have certain creatures have a more rare occurance.. which could drop better items.. etc..

then for the combat part.. have the creatures be practically the same as the characters you use.. they have stats.. etc.. and what it hits.. and takes is based on the stats.. and it's random but the range of the damage or whatever will be based on stats..

maybe im completely wrong.. but that's how "i" would program it
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Well, I don't think there's a "wrong" way to code a game engine. But I wasn't talking about battle engines, I meant walkaround engines.

There's lots of tutorials on the subject of bitmapping on Pete's site. My suggestion: read as many of them as you can. If any of them say something different than the other, or you're really confused about something and you've read through a whole bunch of other tutorials to see if it's not covered, then come back here. The tuts are much more comprehensive than someone trying to quickly explain something on a board... but they can't answer questions like we can, heheh. And believe me, I've been stumped on things that later make me go "well, why didn't I realize that!" so don't worry.
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

alright ill go though some of those.. thanks.. ive been working on my story for my rpg.. i cant wait to work on it lol
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Don't start a game with too big of a story for your first one... "plan to throw one away".
Sidu
Coder

Post by Sidu »

alright good idea