A challenge

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Menotu

A challenge

Post by Menotu »

I have an idea for a challenge for PETESQBSITE and this seemed the like the easiest way to let people know about it. Make a card game like cribbage or euchre, or whatever game you want to make, that you can play with a friend over the internet. I do not know if this is even possible, i sure as hell know that I can't do it, i doubt i could even make just a regular card game, but anyway . . . see what you can do.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

That's quite a tough challenge! Online multiplayer games in QB are incredibly hard to make, and few have succeeded.

James Robert Osborne (aka WisdomDude) and Marcade made the first online-playable QB game last year. It was a Connect 4 clone. You can find it here:

http://wisdomdude.neozones.com/

WisdomDude is also working on a second online two-player game. This time it's a Pool game called "QBall".

You can read about it in the projects section:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/pro ... ylyYhwXEqc

Anyway, as for me, I'm not good enough at QB to even attempt to program an online game. If someone else takes you up on your challenge, though, more power to them!
Levi
Veteran

Wow...

Post by Levi »

Yeah that is tough, you'd either have to have knowledge of ASM or an extreme working knowledge of ports and the INP and OUT statments in Qb. Handeling of packets of information, What's going on, being able to recieve and send. Knowing which port to send and read data from. A lot of work just getting it online.
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer
Menotu

Thats why I called it a CHALLENGE*

Post by Menotu »