QB Express #14 Now Available

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

QB Express #14 Now Available

Post by Pete »

<p><strong>QB Express #14 Now Available</strong> -- Posted by <a href="mailto:pberg1@ithaca.edu">Pete</a> on September 18, 2005<br>
The <a href="/sections/express/issue14/index.html">September Issue</a> of QB Express is now ready!
<br>
<br>This month QB Express has a record FIVE game reviews, and a host of fantastic tutorials, columns and editorials on your favorite programming languages: QuickBasic and FreeBasic. There are two reviews of Lachie Dazdarian's new arcade game Poxie, J.B. asks the question "Is QuickBasic Dead?", Seb McClouth fills us in on Qbinux, Lachie Dazdarian reviews TerraScape and Lunatix: The Insanity Circle, MystikShadows reviews ASCII Scrolling Map Maker 2.5, Deleter takes a look at Game Apathy, there's a look at the FBTK Roguelike Compo in the Gallery, two comics, and much more!
<br>
<br>The tutorials section this month features a pixel art tutorial on Stylized Foliage / Clouds Tutorial by Josiah Tobin, Syn9 teaches us how to create A Simple Spline Curve, Torahteen continues his "A* Implementation in FB" series, The Awakened teaches us C For The BASIC Programmer, Wallace tells us about Ally Artificial Intelligence, MystikShadows delivers "Database Design Part 3: Structured Query Language" and Moneo teaches you how to convert between the metric and English systems.
<br>
<br>All this in more in <a href="/sections/express/issue14/index.html">QB Express Issue #14</a>.</p>
Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

I especially liked the article xxxxxxxxxxx, written by xxxxxxxxxxx.

What was that about? :o

Apart from that, a brilliant read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

Well done, Pete.
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Um... something went a little wrong on my tut. It should say:

#include <cstdio>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>

But it just says:

#include
#include
#include

I opened up the source, and it does have the include files in the tut. So it must be mistaking it for HTML tags or somethin.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

I thought that was strange, too, Awakened. By the way, I loved your tutorial :D It was just what I needed.
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Thanks. :D Anything in particular you want me to cover in the next one?
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

I would say graphics, but I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself. I knew a few commands before, but your tutorial basically introduced me to C++, so I'm not sure :D

PS: Pete, you've missed off matts music tutorial from the contents list :oops:
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

The Awakened wrote:Um... something went a little wrong on my tut. It should say:

#include <cstdio>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>

But it just says:

#include
#include
#include

I opened up the source, and it does have the include files in the tut. So it must be mistaking it for HTML tags or somethin.
In HTML, < and > should be represented as < and > respectively.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Hmm... sounds like pete got lazy, but we can all understand that.

TA: I would like you to cover OOP and plotting memory at a certain point (seg and off), and asm... mabye even making a lib, passing vars...

KyleMC: There are no built-in GFX commands in C++. You either have to plot the memory yourself or use a GFX lib.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

=P Now I have grey boxes..... :lol:

Hehe,.. @ Mystik: You want a map plotter know? How do you print in FB anyway? :lol: :wink:

Heh, @ Above issue with the code: I summited a tut and used <> in the description for <esc> <f1>, ect.... XD It erased have the description on posting.... :oops: :lol:

:wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

you can probably print using the Windows API :-). I would suspect.

lol..I'm a die hard fan of MapMaker Ratt, you should know that by now LOL.

Map Plotter huh? *ponders that thought for a few seconds*. Quoted from StarTrek Next Generation: "Make it so!" lol....think you can whip it in?
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

If I figure out how printing goes about, I can make a App for it.... Thus I can include my other .ascii format from,.. ASCII Painter/Picture Lab 1.0.. And what ever others I come up with... Maybe make some Printer Utility or something... :lol:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

The null article (xxxxxxx) has been removed. So have the problems with #include <_____> in the C++ tutorial. Sorry about the problems.

Nathan1993 wrote:Hmm... sounds like pete got lazy, but we can all understand that.
Seriously dude, do you have any idea how much time I spend on QB Express? I missed a few tiny details in a 100+ page magazine. I know you didn't mean anything by it, but please don't call me "lazy".
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Pete,

I must thank you for the professional formatting and highlighting that you did on my metric conversion tutorial, which I had sent you in plain-vanilla text. Certainly not a task done by a "lazy" person.

Thanks again,
Edward F. Moneo
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Sorry pete... I know your not lazy... :cry: :cry: :cry: but really, with a site this awsome, a awsome mag... who needs to tell you that I would do anything to meet you in person... i really would...

hmm... mabye on my honeymoon (yeah, like anyone would marry ME) i could go to niagra falls and stop at your place in ny on the way over...
matt

Post by matt »

I just noticed some proof reading mistakes I made in the articles I sent to you.

I the music tut. the line:

In practice its best to think of it this way: The guitar plays notes written on the trebel clef and the bass guitar plays notes written on the trebel clef,

should read:

In practice its best to think of it this way: The guitar plays notes written on the trebel clef and the bass guitar plays notes written on the BASS clef

Sorry!

matt
+ m2j

Post by + m2j »

... And it seems I managed to draw the bass clef backwards... I send you a fixed up graphic soon, sorry ...

m2j
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Pete... this seems to be very error full, but please don't let this make you stop making the mag!!!
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:?: Out of all curiousity.... Can anyone draw the QBHH Horse now? :lol:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Once I am done fooling around with linux, I will check it out. I will upload my horse... err... attempt.
The Walrus
Veteran

Post by The Walrus »

Rattrapmax6 wrote::?: Out of all curiousity.... Can anyone draw the QBHH Horse now? :lol:
Thanks for the great tut, I'll give it a try :wink:
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain walruses?