Website / Forum Accounts

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Zeerus
Coder

Website / Forum Accounts

Post by Zeerus »

I just noticed that you can also register an account on the main website to post comments, etc, as well as ont he forums.

I think it would be a great idea to tie the two together, so when a user registers on the forums they can also use that login and password on the comment area, or visa versa. It should be fairly simple to do, just take some PHP snippets and cookies from the forums, and implement them into the current comment system.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

No, actually it wouldn't be simple to do at all...

The comments script that I'm using for the Downloads section is an add-on called iSay for the content managing system Coranto that handles most of the dynamic content on this site. Coranto is written in Perl, uses flat file databases (not MySQL like PHPBB does), and I have heavily customized it for this website. PHPBB and Coranto do not share databases, and it would be a bitch and a half to figure out how to have them share information, since they don't even use the same types of databases. I wouldn't even know where to start...and I guarantee you I would have to modify HUGE amounts of code and install lots of add-ons and extensions for this functionality.

It's definitely not worth it. Nobody uses the commenting feature on the Downloads anyway.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

We did an intertwining like that on the original TBN and believe me...it's no walk in the park. phpBB itself makes this a massive chore; it's by far one of the most convulted sources ever seen in the open source world. I still can't believe we somehow pulled it off, but at the same time, it was plagued with problems too. rpgdx has it down...but then again, they have to manually update the forum every time a new major exploit is found in phpBB (you know, every weekend or so). So yeah...it's not worth it whatsoever.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

HOLY SHIT!!! NEKS BACK!!!