osBasic demo 2 release.

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

bungytheworm
Veteran

osBasic demo 2 release.

Post by bungytheworm »

Hi all.

I once wondered could i do a simple tinyBasic interpreter with FB or yaBasic.
This is my third try. First one with FB was a mess, second one with yaBasic did lead in situation from where i wanted to move it back to FB due several reasons.

Anyway, hunger grows while you eat so this one has pretty much extra stuff if we comapre it to original tinyBasic. So we can call this as "tinyBasic Pro" or something :D

Code is not optimized yet, though i have worked to move it to use pointers more. There is still some MID() style code too, but idea is to get riddof them in some point.
Once i get that part of work done, ill release this as GPL2.

Some error checking is still missing (specially when reading code to interpret from file) but hopefully i get that all done in a week or two.

With this post, i also want to show my respect to FB dev.team. If a average hobby programmer like me, can do interpreter that works somehow and is decently fast (for an interpreter) it only measn that tool with what it is made (FB in this case) must be awesome.

Off the record. I havent ever studied how a "real" interpreter should be made, basicly this has been made by reading FB wiki only and with some farmer logic :)

FB rocks.

Download: http://www.basicprogramming.org/ekv_fil ... _demo2.zip (167k)
.zip includes linux, dos and windows binaries with few example codes and documents.

p.s By opening Examples/goto_speed.bas you can see how much code is faster after Demo1.
Last edited by bungytheworm on Sat May 10, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Updated first post.
syn9
Coder

Post by syn9 »

cool. it would be neat to see this turn into an actual integrated virtual desktop sort of like litestep. where it would run fb code natively.

do you mind if i repost this on FBR ?
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

cool. it would be neat to see this turn into an actual integrated virtual desktop sort of like litestep. where it would run fb code natively.
Uh, that is not my current goal but who knows where this ends :)
do you mind if i repost this on FBR ?
If you think this is worth of it, i would be honored. :)
syn9
Coder

Post by syn9 »

bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Hi syn9.

Could you change website from www.ascii-world.com to www.basicprogramming.org ;)
syn9
Coder

Post by syn9 »

done
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

oops, forgot to give update here.
Demo3 is closing. It is nearly 40% faster than demo2 and includes some neat new keywords such as locate and color.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

What on earth is wrong with us programmers? Demo3 was practically there, only needed to upload it and that all. But then i though to check the code for one more time.
Result is so many new ideas how i should do it. So the whole engine and code is once again fully open and under rebuilding.

Why man cant be satisfied what he has instead of moving, editing and fixing things all the time?

Namely Demo3 is not released and ill move stright to beta1. I do not dare to say any timelines. When you have a 10 weeks old baby in house, you can forgot all timelines totally.

I have read C++ book lately. It would be ubercool to port osBasic to C++. But it is not in my plans currently. Maybe osBasic Next Generation is made with C++ at year 2032.

Currently all developing of osBasic is made at work lol. Dont tell it to my boss, he might get angry.