Computer Chess progs & utilities for Qbasic/Fbasic

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

chessmaster

Computer Chess progs & utilities for Qbasic/Fbasic

Post by chessmaster »

Computer Chess progs & utilities for Qbasic / Freebasic

Total chess head here, lousy coder, lol Im in the middle of constructing a whole sackful of plug n play chess utilities primarily designed to make it easy for my self and others to write chess programs, or create the modular parts of chess programs, aka the bits you are interested in.

If you go to the Projects page on the Freebasic forum you will see numerous chess projects with all sorts of handy code, tips and advice. Including data sets for digital chess pieces.

The chess utilities/modules communicate via simple *.txt files ( im building a network chess supercomputer, this is the WYSIWYG message based method i use to communicate) so for example if you want a board and chess pieces you dont have to write a line of code, its already done you just have to write the position generated by your engine code to a simple *.txt file and the GUI will read it in and shuffle the pieces around.

In a couple of months time we could be having a chess engine tournament. Lets see if you Qbasic softies have got the chess chops to take on the intrinsically superior FreeBasic chess warriors :-p

....while we wait for you to spool up into chess battle mode feel free to try and take on my creaky old network chess supercomputer.

Pawn to H4
allen05

Post by allen05 »

Hello everyone. I'm a new member here, and I just wanted to introduce myself and say Howdy. I started programming in QuickBASIC back in the late '80s. I fell in love with it in no time, probably because it was so easy to use. It introduced me to the more serious world of compilers and structured/modular code, plus the IDE was so nice and fast and allowed you to become productive quickly. I have dabbled in other languages before (like Turbo Pascal, C, Java, and C++ in college), but different dialects of BASIC have always been my favorite -- including PowerBASIC (for DOS), VB, REALbasic, and Emergence BASIC by Ionic Wind Software. And I think I will always have a special place in my heart for good ol' QB.

Another motive for me joining this site is my desire to share some of the better QB programs that I've written in the past. I plan on uploading them soon, and when I do, I'll notify everyone (they're mostly games). I know that QB is DOS-based, essentially "obsolete," and is very, very slowly being phased out, but I think we can all agree that those of us who have had so much fun with the language still like to keep it somewhat alive.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Sorry, but you can no longer upload files to this site. It has been broken for some time now, but you can post the code in the Qbasic or Freebasic Forums if you wish.

Welcome aboard!

Ted
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0