qbinux

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

I once had a scsi-cdrom which only possible connection was through my soundblaster... The original drivers didn't work... I didn't had money to buy a new. Thx to some soundblaster-cdrom drives from my fathers old pc, I found out I was able to load the freakin' thing, except that the version was to old (it was a 2 year old driver). So I looked on the internet for the file, and let me tell you, I wasn't that good at internet yet. I was using AltaVista as a search engine. But I managed to find one, and I even installed win95 on a old 386DX, 16Mb, 40MB+80MB harddrives. Those were the days... I even had Red Hat Linux installed on it for some time. In those days I was installing everything again every two weeks, sometimes I would rebuild the computer as well.

grtz
Seb
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Update on Qbinux:

My work has been rewarding: I have now 4 source files up and ready. They don't do much yet, but I can compile them into an image. Qbinux can now be loaded from Dos with ldqbx.exe similair to loadlin.exe. The image is now as big command.com of Dos 6.2.

I'll keep ya all updated. When I release kernel 0.0.6 it will be diffrent from 0.0.5-b. Why 0.0.6 and not a 0.0.5? Well the source is going to some mayor replacing.
Currently I have Boot/, FS/ Include/, Main/.
It also has a make-utitly throuch a batch-file. I'm working on a version which will work with makefiles. Since I need to do some homework on the Novix filesystem.
The Qbinux filesystem is now official baptist as nvx1fs.

Till next time.

BTW if you have any question.. do post them here or e-mail me at Balai_Goyan@yahoo.com.

grtz
Seb
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Well, I finally had some time last night, so I installed QBinux. I must say, I'm looking forward to what it will become. :D I have a few questions...

First of all, I noticed some files with an extension of ns5, which looked kinda funny when I opened them in edit. Then I opened the files with the same filename but no extension (ie, test.ns5, and then just test) and noticed some kind of source code. What are these files, and is there some kind of compiler that I can write my own code or batch files or whatever and compile them?

Second, how will the "Novix Implementation" be different from "McClouth Qbinux"?

Lastly, do you plan on adding mouse support for programs like Edit soon?

Keep up the good work! :D
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
sid6.7
Veteran

seb a blank entry?

Post by sid6.7 »

seb...we have 2 entries in the downloads area
1 is your qbinux file

http://www.petesqbsite.com/downloads/QBXSETUP.rar

the other appears to be a blank entry with no file
i shall delete the empty entry yes?

i'm cleaning up the downloads for pete...
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Sure... It happend by mistake (the blank one)
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Well, I finally had some time last night, so I installed QBinux. I must say, I'm looking forward to what it will become. I have a few questions...
I'll try to answer them.
First of all, I noticed some files with an extension of ns5, which looked kinda funny when I opened them in edit. Then I opened the files with the same filename but no extension (ie, test.ns5, and then just test) and noticed some kind of source code. What are these files, and is there some kind of compiler that I can write my own code or batch files or whatever and compile them?
1. the .ns5 are (just found out myselfs) short for " Novix sourcefile version 5" and are actually plain .bas files.
2. Novix has its own scripting language. All I can tell ya know about it.
3. Novix has a compiler but don't know how it works yet.
Second, how will the "Novix Implementation" be different from "McClouth Qbinux"?
Novix is the most important part of McClouth Qbinux. Without it, there would only be Qbinux.
Lastly, do you plan on adding mouse support for programs like Edit soon?
Edit is from the original sources. It will be replaced in time by a Linux-like editor.

Grtz
Seb
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

So what all does Novix do that can't be done with "just QBinux"?
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Novix is a well build (by my opinion) Linux-clone. It contains its own core (which is called Xivon) and shell.
Qbinux is actually a core which detects the basic onboard hardware like the mainboard, memory, diskdrives, harddrives, mouse. When I was trying to build my own shell, it lacked good work. When Z!re introduced me to Novix, she told me I could use it.

You see that Qbinux is nothing without Novix. Just like Linux is nothing without a proper shell, e.g. Bash. Actually Qbinux is an addition to Novix. Since I wanted to keep the name Qbinux, I properly added the 'powered by Novix'.

Currently Qbinux is being combined with Novix (I know, I know, we have a combined version already). I have to change several things to the original Novix source code in order to make it work like the original thing.

I can't/won't tell to much of the new 0.0.6 version. Mucho things will change. That's all.

Till next time.

Grtz
Seb
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Cool. Thanks! :D
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

As you might have read along, I have been working on the Novix Filesystem and rearranging the core files. Currently I have been able to replace the core-files into more proper directories.

Next part is to seperate Qbash from the source.

Until furter notice

Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I have core 0.0.6 running, the graphic part is down... probably because I accidently removed the files... no sweat... it works...

Anyways, the graphics aren't until core 0.1.0 or so... first get the core to be okay.

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

During the work on Qbinux, I kinda broke something... so cd-command don't work... Have to figure out what it could be.

Until future notice, be sure to enter Qbinux...
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Update on qbinux...

The new locations seem to work so far. Only the CPU-routines are not functioning properly. The xMem (Novix) implentation are good... so far.

I have re-added the bootup.log.

I think that the first tech-release (a.k.a. beta) of this new version will ready by the end of this week.

Until furture notice

grtz
Seb
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I might have a tech-release available by Wednesday night. Thing are going well... there are sum bugs here and there... but hey... Linux had his share too...

grtz
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Hey all

As you might have noticed, no tech-release yet... Due to some problems the release is delayed...

As they say Rome wasn't build in one night either... Will have a tech-release midth next week...

Until furture notice,

Seb
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Yet again problems with some code. I'm working on it... don't expect tech-release before the end of this week...

grtz Seb
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Update on Qbinux:

I've been able to retrace the problem and fix it, this could mean that about Wednesday I should have a tech-release. This will be full of bugs since that's what a tech-release is...

Until furture notice.

Seb
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Delay-notice: yes I'm sorry. Due to some unexpected FileSystem problems I have to delay it again.

Until furture notice

Seb McClouth
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Wow seb, your really sticking with it! Great job!!!
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Wot did ya mean with that?

grtz