qbinux

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Release date of Qbinux-demo: soonly, atleast after the release of QB Express.

This demo will contain:
  • the setup for Qbinux, which will install Qbinux on your harddrive
    a working core
    a demo-version of Qbash
Grtz
Seb
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

There will be the ability in Setup to choose if you want a gfx or text boot. This can simple be done by a simple commandline command. You'll see it, when you run it.

Ofcourse this boot method is used when you use qbinux, in Setup you can choose whether you want the gfx or the text way. If you change your mind, you'll have to reinstall the whole thing.

grtz
Seb
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Test-runs are looking good. This could mean that within 1 day I'll have a stable core (text-mode). An extra day to get the graphix mode functioning... and then Qbash which will be in text-mode.

Within 3 days I shout have a running demo..., and hopefully in that same time a working setup.

If there are ppl who want to build a gui for qbinux... let me know. show me your gui and I'll let ya know...

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I have a pure dos computer with nothing on it but qb and some programming shit... I would be glad to test out all the things you have and attempt to make a GUI of some sort... and please make the GUI you have (or will have) fully supported with no mouse for me broken laptop...

If you could also add support so the you can press a seldom-used key like F8 or something to be as a keyboard click, that would rule, because my stick-mouse on my laptop still works, just not the pad and the buttons. If you could make this some sort of a TSR (so I can turn it off, just if I need that button) that would rule too.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Ever though of using an external mouse??

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Someone asked for some matrix goodies inside qbinux. If anyone else wants this... you will have to give me about 2 days after the release of the regular version...
Be ready...
Be prepared...
It's coming to you soon...
Don't be afraid...
Enter Qbinux...
grtz
Seb
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I am using an external mouse now... I tryed installing red hat enterprise yesterday on that laptop... it didn't have enough ram. can't wait for QBinux!!! please let me beta test for you! i would be GLAD to help!
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

erm... okay... the release I'm releasing will be my regular version of Qbinux... not until next week I will have Novix running along... since I only have qb 4.5... I'm trying to get the network on my laptop so I can install pds...

I'll do my best.

grtz
Seb
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

not enough ram... erm how much do you have? what type of laptop is it?

grtz
Seb
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Millennia Transport, I am not totally sure how much ram, but I think it is 32 megs... no windows to check, and dos says 640k (duh)
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

okay let me help you out.

Edit your config.sys and add these lines:
devicehigh=c:\dos\himem.sys /eisa
devicehigh=c:\dos\emm386.exe
dos=high
add for every other device=etc devicehigh=etc

afterwards run memmeaker.

grtz
Seb
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

I upgraded from qb 4.5 to pds 7.1. The first build attemps with the novix core seem to work. Next to is to add the working qbinux-routines.

As stated will the qbinux-core etc be released.

grtz
Seb
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Does it have good DOS emulation? If I see a "How to break the QBinux straighjacket" then its dumped. I have to have dos stuff, but I also want some extras. It can't be slow, either, but since it is command line I think it won't be. And I am just glad your not making my first OS.

Code: Select all

DO
INPUT "command?", Z$
SHELL Z$
LOOP UNTIL INKEY$ = CHR$(27)
LoL!!!!
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I have have done what you have said, it freed up a ton of memory, but still not enough for one thing: the ASM tutorial I just uploaded, 110k of pure text, it won't work under that... I guess ill run memmaker again and disable EMS and see if that works, but will QBinux use ems/xms? If it does, I will just split the tutorial up.
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

2 more options: load QB in high memory with the command: LH QB
or get PDS. I've installed it myself and it works marvelous.

If you have a memory problem using MS-DOS Edit, I'd strongly advice to replace it with the version that came with Windows 98. I'm using it myselfs and you can open multiple files, just marvelous.

grtz
Seb
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Qbinux won't support EMS or XMS yet. I'm still learning as I program, so most of it will just run in plain 640kB, but I'm working on it.

grtz
Seb
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

cool. I will try to use windows 98 edit, but I think that that requires a different dos version, if it works, it works, if not, I wasted my time. If all else fails, I will split that tutorial's chapters up.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

MS Win98 Edit works even on MS-DOS 6.2 so it should work on 6.22.

grtz
Seb
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

It worked, awsome. I you want, I could help devolop QBinuxif you give me soem stuff to do, like writing programs to come with it and stuff like that.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I will give you the source code after the release of QB express... And man do I have surprise!!!

Grtz
Seb