Are all the Y2K bugs dead, buried and forgotten?

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

MystikShadows wrote:The real Y2K issue isn't quite solved no...there is a definite problem with the year 2034.
What's special about the year 2034?

The only thing that I can think of is one of those screwball "date algorithms" that converts 2 digit years to 4 digit years. Maybe one of these fails when you get to 2034. ???
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

2034 is when the world is going to end.

Nostradamus said so.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

lol.. that could be a definite problem, yes.... :lol:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Pete wrote:2034 is when the world is going to end.

Nostradamus said so.
And who exctly is that?
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:lol: Are you serious?

:P
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
UWLabs
Coder

Y2K 'bug'

Post by UWLabs »

Let me add my two cents worth (if no one minds)...
If there still lurks a problem with code "out there" with date compliance errors, it is probably code that does not need to be run but once or twice every decade. For it to escape detection or repair for all this time would make it incidental, inconsequential, or inaccessible. Maybe there is firmware on satellites or remote mechanized stations that may still contain snippets of code that truly are non-compliant, but more than likely a decision has been made to either work around it, or ignore it. (People tend to use those two types of solutions for a great many things.)

Anyway, if you like, I have had a page posted on my dust covered web site now since 1999 ? it?s still there ? and it contains my rant from that year on the very topic of what was then been called the (ugh) ?Millennium Bug? (cringes ? I hate that term). Read it if you like, here: http://members.aol.com/uwlabs/y2k.htm

I find it interesting to see a current discussion concerning something that happened over five years ago - regarding it as long-lost history - when it seems just like yesterday to me. Of course I'm also so old I remember wearing a black plastic Texas Instrument LED watch to High School, AND manually making IBM 80-column punch cards in 11th grade Algebra2 class! Then the turn of the century was more than a score hence.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

On Septemper 30th, 2034, the UNIX time function will overflow. More fun stuff that will happen:

On January 1st, 2028, any computers that use the "28 year setback" trick to avoid Y2K will fail to display time properly.

On January 19th, 2038, at 03:14:07 GMT, the seconds counter used for date/time information in UNIX and C and C++ will reach 2,147,483,647, which is the largest number which can be stored as a 32-bit signed integer. This will cause some problems in certain programs which expect the date to never be prior to January 1st, 1970.

On January 1st, 2100, we'll see "Y2.1K"...current PC BIOS clocks will run out of dates. I guess this means they'll no longer get laid either.

On March 1st, 2101, any system which is compliant at this point in time is fully date compliant up until December 31st, 9999.

Source.
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Great, Nek! :D That's exactly the kind of stuff I was asking for. I knew it was out there, but not exactly where.

Thanks.

Anybody else know of more Y2K holes out there?
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Some libraries that use a 64bit variable to keep track of time will run for ~580 million years, assuming millisecond "accuracy"

Ya, just saying.. :P
I have left this dump.
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Hey guys,
Some of you might have missed the link in Nek's above post under the word "Source." Take a look at that site for more interesting and alarming Y2K-type future problems.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

LOL being the programmer I am, when I saw Source. I assumed it was some sourcecode in some language to fix the problems he mentionned in his post LOL....I think I've been programming too long LOL
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Nemesis
Coder

Post by Nemesis »

No, I haven't forgotten about the Y2K bug... :lol:
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Nostradamus said so.
Well, he also said...
3755 - world destroyed by asteroids according to Nostradamus.
3797 - world consumed by an expanding Sun according to Nostradamus.

Which is it???
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

PQBC wrote:

Nostradamus said so.
Well, he also said...

Which is it???
Actually, Nostradamus never said anything really.. It's all about interpretation.. Also, his dates are a bit.. weird.. sometimes.. most "famous" is the 35th of december.. go figure..

And either all, or none of his predictions so far has turned out correct.. like I said, interpretation..
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Z!re wrote:
PQBC wrote:

Nostradamus said so.
Well, he also said...

Which is it???
Actually, Nostradamus never said anything really.. It's all about interpretation.. Also, his dates are a bit.. weird.. sometimes.. most "famous" is the 35th of december.. go figure..

And either all, or none of his predictions so far has turned out correct.. like I said, interpretation..
who the hell is Nostradamus... and no, I am not joking...
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

A guy who lived in the 1500 who "predicted" things..

Basically, he wrote a bunch of random crap down, and now people "interpret" it to mean all kinds of crazy stuff..

Some of the predictions are fun/interessting.. but they dont account for anything..
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

yeah, that kinda rings a bell, but you know... never knew that

0_o
qbasic-noobie

yea

Post by qbasic-noobie »

im a noob at qbasic but for the y2k+ problems couldint u just keep your clock behind that point untill its fixed..?
Z!re
Veteran

Re: yea

Post by Z!re »

qbasic-noobie wrote:im a noob at qbasic but for the y2k+ problems couldint u just keep your clock behind that point untill its fixed..?
Yes, but then your datestamps would be wrong.. this brings problems to large corporations..

The homeuser rarely have problems with this kind of things, unless you never ever update.. But most users either update, or have the knowledge to know it'll go wrong, or atleast what went wrong when it does if they still run older machines..
I have left this dump.