Two Lords prototype

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Nodtveidt
Veteran

Two Lords prototype

Post by Nodtveidt »

There is a very early prototype build of the game available here:

http://www.nodtveidt.net/2l.zip

Controls:
W,S: Move forward and backward respectively.
A,D: Strafe left and right respectively.
Mouse: turn and look around.
Left mouse button: Fire.
Right mouse button: Open doors.
Spacebar: Jump.
Q: Activate Magic Shield.
1 thru 6: Change weapons.

If the game runs in a window, then your video hardware doesn't support its fullscreen resolution. Unfortunately, since this is a prototype build, there's nothing ya can do about it for now...it's not set up to use any other resolution (after all, it IS a prototype, so don't expect perfection just yet). The game is still plagued with a few flaws and this build isn't quite alpha status but it is very playable.

The included level isn't meant to be difficult, it's meant to get the player used to how the game works and plays. The difficulty curve of the game is rather well-balanced IMO, but the later levels are quite difficult.
Mac Guy no login

Post by Mac Guy no login »

Good game you have working there. I can remember the controls since they are the same as Gunz. Fairly good doom style graphics and gameplay.
Overall impression: 4.99/5
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

WOW. WOW. WOW. Can't wait to see the full version! The only thing I have to complain about is that it moves pretty fast for me. I have to say that for a crappy 600mhz computer with only 128meg of ram and winamp and gaim running, that was FAST!!!

Wow... wow... good!
Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

Very nice. The mouse is really sensitive, but I know you said it was just a prototype. Also, maybe you could move slower in water?
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

You can change the mouse sensitivity in config.ini...by default, this is a 7. Valid range is 1 thru 10. The 60 in config.ini is the framerate, if the game's too fast then try setting this lower.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

BTW, I ment fast as a good speed and not slow, not like I couldn't see whats happening. Sorry.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Ah ok...gotcha. :)
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Invert mouse!
I have left this dump.
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

Twas a fun time, if I do say so myself. The music made things very creepy. I had to tinker with the mouse sensitivity but that was quickly fixed and it ran very well. Great job so far, Nekrophidius! :D
Dave

Post by Guest »

Sweet. Looking great, Nek.

Just so you know: I've got a 600MHz P3, and 128 megs of RAM, and I find the game runs at a good speed between 30 - 40 FPS.

After I picked up some orb thingy, there were some blue pixels left on the screen.

I also had two Brutus' lock up at one point.

So far, so good.
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

Oh, I forgot to mention a few bugs. I'm sure you're aware of them but I'll state them on the off-chance that you could possibly have missed them.

1. I'm sure you must have noticed this one, sometimes enemies will run into a corner trying to get to you but having that corner blocking it so basically giving you the opportunity for a cheap kill.
2. Like the poster before me, I also had 2 Brutus' lock up and become invincible basically. I can't remember exactly where on the map it happened nor do I know a reason why.

But it's only a prototype so bugs are expected.
Once again, great job so far, Nek. :)
Dave
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Just so everyone knows, that guest above was me. I was playing the game while I was on the forum, and it must have logged me out since I was on for so long.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

There are two "broken" Brutuses in the first level. I'm not exactly sure why but they're broken for sure. The map data checks out OK, so I have no idea where they're coming from because they register as enemy units on the summary screen. :?

The blue pixels when you pick up the orb are supposed to be there. :) That's the "Powerup Diviner", it is designed to work with the "Area Map" item. Pick up the Area Map which is hidden somewhere in the level and you'll understand how it works. :)

For Brutus...basically, the AI of Brutus isn't very advanced, and you can easily position him for a cheap kill. If you're able to find Abishai on the same level, you'll find that he's much more of a challenge than Brutus. :) More advanced AI is something I'm saving for later on in development. Brutus will never be an expert at kicking butt but he won't be cannon fodder either like he is now.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback y'all. :D I'm considering releasing the alpha version soon, which has a lot of changes and a lot more done. The mechanics required for the second level are almost coded in (the second level gets a bit more detailed in terms of gameplay and tactics) so once it's all ready, there will be 2 playable levels. Also, some tweaking may be done to weapon firing times...at present, firing rates of both the player and enemies who can shoot is a bit high, much higher than the original. But I may also leave it in...I think it may create a more intense environment that way...thoughts?
m2j

Post by m2j »

Seriously, as someone who grew up on DooM, this game is gonna be my favourite QB/FB (or whatever language your coding it in now) release.

OH GOD THE EXPLODING CORPSES.

Ya can't do that with polygons these days...

Well done man, I make it a point never to get excited about 'upcomming' releases, but I can't help it with this one.

matt