New motherboard and processor

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

{Nathan}
Veteran

New motherboard and processor

Post by {Nathan} »

ok, I am getting a new motherboard and processor. I have done all the stuff like check the ram types, and all of that crap and its good. I am getting a AMD Sempron 2800 processor and I can upgrade later to a 64 bit processor once they are NOT 110 bucks (or I have 110 bucks). Anyway, I just wanna make sure I'm not screwing up big time here.

Motherboard: 5 PCI slots, just wanna point that out. Need it for wireless lan, modem (just in case), tv card (future), and whateever else comes my way.
Link:http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0230097

Processor: Not much to say. 2800 AMD Sempron. Yes, I know it only has 256k cache.
Link:http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0226683

I do have many fans lying around that I can use, and if not, they are only 7 bucks on ebay.
PQBC at school

Post by PQBC at school »

They have AMD Sempron 64s now. They cost only ~$5 than a normal Sempron. Looking at the processor specs on your processor choice, it looks like it is already 64-bit
Your Sempron's description wrote:Memory Controller Width > 64-Bit
Your motherboard choice seems awkward. You are paying too much ($60) for a REFURBISHED ABit with an 800FSB and 2 RAM DIMMS. I have here a S754 mobo for $50 with 3 RAM DIMMS, 1600FSB, 5 PCI slots, and SATA support. You'll probably spend the other $10 in shipping, but you're getting better parts.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1178
----------------------------
And, get a good S754 fan while you're there (at tigerdirect) Quiet and keeps your processor cool.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1187

Hope that helps :P
PQBC again

Post by PQBC again »

Or, if RAM type is a problem, upgrade to this mobo. (+$7)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1178
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Thanks for the hints, but my dad won't let me buy anything online...

stupid dad. *spits on his face*
PQBC still at school...

Post by PQBC still at school... »

In my opinion, TigerDirect is great for quality parts, fast shipping, and fast servicing (ex. if you have a DOA motherboard, they'll replace it free and fast.) Tell your dad that I refered you. (Believe me, I sell and mod computers here and there for a few extra bucks :P )
I hate guest posts...

Post by I hate guest posts... »

You can't edit them...

I wanted to add that their customer service and warranty periods are great too.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I have gotton peremission to buy from tiger direct. I just have 1 question: since the AMD sempron works under the 754 socket, will it work for all motherboards with a 754 socket or not? Thanks. Also, yes, RAM type IS a problem. I can't seem to find a motherboard that uses SDRAM...

Sooooo little money. I hope to get a really good fan for my processor and overclock it...
Deleter
Veteran

Post by Deleter »

newegg.com is awesome as well 8) check them out before buying. I have built two computers using their parts with good experiences. Usually very fast shipping regardless of which you pay for and good costumor support. I had a radeon 9800 pro which fried the first time i put it in, we sent it back and they sent a new one real fast and it all worked ok. Also their prices are hard to beat.
PQBC at school

Post by PQBC at school »

I don't use newegg.com because they charge tax here in Tennessee :P (zip code 37203 if you want to check for yourself - also sales tax here is 9.25%)

If they exist, it will be hard to find a S754 motherboard that fully supports PC133 or PC100 RAM. They usually support PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200 now. If you are using parts from a computer from about 4+ years ago for salvaging parts, it probably uses PC100 or PC133 RAM. Please post the specs of the system you are upgrading.

One more thing, overclocking is best left to professionals. It does 4 major things to your computer.
  • 1. Increase speed (good)
    2. Void your processor's warranty (bad)
    3. Increased heat - if too much, it will burn out your processor (vey bad)
    4. If overclocked too much, your system will also become unstable. One of my computer's BIOS were wiped this way (very, very bad)
Here is some cheap 256MB RAM that is compatible with the above motherboard (+$20)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... pNo=427586
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

good fan... and open case... and im thinking of expereimenting with some kind of water cooling. My freind had an old 133mhz processor that he had no use for so he overclocked it to 1 ghz and then it started smoking...

edit: I am pretty sure im just gonna get new ram (just one stick, then get another for xmas) cuz that ram is really old and probably going bad soon.

edit2: seriously! can i use a sempron processor in any 754 socket motherboard, or does it have to say it can use sempron??? Almost none of them do!
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Semprons can be used in any S754 motherboard.

I don't think it's possible to overclock a 133MHZ to 1GHZ without a newer board (S5 boards aren't made anymore)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

yeah, it was probably a newer board, but i will ask him some time. thanks for the info on the 754 socket, though.