University starts tomorrow... (monday)

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Anonymous

University starts tomorrow... (monday)

Post by Anonymous »

I've finished highschool and I'm going to university at the age of 17, which is young in this country. Most people go to uni at an age of 18 or 19.

Anyway, my signature has changed with this change ;)

As you can see, I'll go to the TU Delft, a large and widely known university. Here, I'll go studying Aerospace Engineering, a very difficult technical study here. That means, I'll learn all about aircraft and spacecraft, learn some flying and do projects about all this, and of course, visit some cool locations such as ESA, Military Airports and museums, etc :)
Also, I have a nice 16 squaremeter room on the campus, though it costs me ? 260 per month :P Still, I don't have an internet connection yet, grrr.

Anyway, it starts tomorrow, with on the first day Calculus B and Mechanics Statics. :) Sounds interesting... ;) Examples of other courses I'll have are Mechanics Dynamics, CAD, Aerospace Materials and Metals, Space Engineering and Technology, Aerodynamics, etc. ;)
Has anyone experience with any of these subjects? Do you have some useful starter-information? ;)

Are there any other people on universities here? How do you like it on your university? Other questions: what do you study and for how long? What are you experiences?

I'm interested to know ;) TIA.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I attended two trimesters at a small college in Arecibo PR, studying CIS. I had to stop going though...language barriers made it almost impossible to keep up with my studies. So I'm going back once I'm more fluent in Spanish, but not until, since I don't really feel like wasting money when I cannot excel.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Good luck ... university is probably the most fun time of your life (well, it is for me -- I'm a sophomore right now). You live with my friends, you can get involved in lots of great extra-curricular programs, there's great food, lots of parties, and so much to do all the time.

I study Television-Radio at Ithaca College, and I'm trying to do a second major in either Cinema & Photography or Journalism. Television-Radio is the complete opposite of Aerospace Engineering, since yours is lots of hard science, math and technical stuff. Mine is mostly aesthetic and social science stuff.

As far as studying goes, I'd say I study several hours a day before a big test, and I usually do fine. I honestly don't have to study very much, since I don't have many tests, per se. I take mostly analytical or television production classes, so instead of traditional exams, I have to make video productions, sound files, presentations and write a lot of papers (I wrote more than a million words, including one 300-page book (a group project) last semester). But personally, I'd rather have a project like "make a five minute music video with lip-synching" instead of a test. It's a whole lot more fun. :)

I do have a lot of reading, but I can get away with only skimming most of it.

This semester, I am taking Advanced Studio Production, Introduction to Field Production, Film Aesthetics and Analysis, Microeconomics and a Seminar in Critical Thinking. I am also working on three TV shows on my college station -- a sketch comedy show (I am the Director of Photography), a movie reviews show (Lighting Director) and a show that plays student films (Sound Board Operator).

I haven't taken any of the classes you're taking except Calculus B... which I actually took in highschool for college credit. It isn't too hard as long as you pay attention and do practice examples regularly, whether they're assigned or not. Make sure you understand graphs and functions *really* well (that you can "read" a graph quickly, and find trends without a lot of pondering).

Anyway, good luck at TU Delft!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Nek: Too bad you couldn't finish the study. Now learn some Spanish instead ;) Btw, don't they speak Spanish in Puerto Rico?

Pete: Thanks for your reply. Indeed Television-Radio is quite the opposite of AE, lots of science and technical stuff, my favorite ;) Also cool you don't have that much written tests, but a 300-page book?!? Wow. My end-project of highschool was around 100 pages about Data Compression, and that was much according to me... About the other projects, it's indeed cool, that's what the study is all about, to make movies and sound clips etc :)

Calculus B for highschool? Hmn everything I can see in the book is Advanced Integral Calculus, Vector Calculus, etc. The first part is about graphs, but ok. I'll see how the first courses will be ;).

Thanks for the luck-wishes! I'll post in some time how my first experiences with universities were! Say, 1st part of 2nd semester? ;)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Of course they speak spanish in Puerto Rico...that's exactly why I couldn't finish the degree program for the time being. :D I'm from the US originally, it's not like I've lived here my whole life or anything... :D

But yeah...uni life rocks. :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Oh, I thought you'd lived in Puerto Rico for your whole life or a significant number of years... now I understand the problem :D

Uni life's cool :D

Btw, I just had a test in the first Calculus B course, resulting in (of course, what else would you have expected :lol:) a 10 (or A(+) in US measures). Too bad it doesn't count any ECTS :)