VBDOS, the lost wonder of the Basic world

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Master-of-Mischief
Coder

VBDOS, the lost wonder of the Basic world

Post by Master-of-Mischief »

Hello everyone,

Visual Basic for MS-DOS, or VBDOS, this has got to be the coolest thing, the highest evolution of Qbasic in the MS-DOS environment. It has features that the others don't have, and has form capabilities rivaling Windows! How many of you have tinkered with this thing? Another question, why are people still programming in QB and why is it so popular while VBDOS is a dead log floating down the Mississippi?
Stoves
Veteran

Post by Stoves »

Interesting. I'd never heard of VBDOS before.

Here's a site with some links to VBDOS libraries and info: http://www.dossolutions.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vbdos.htm
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,

I have played around with it a little, its not bad, it would kinda be useful if you were doing a program that needed a standard GUI system quickly and easily. Though I think the code structure is event driven(something does something when the user does something) which is personally not my thing.

I'm pretty sure you would be able to run QB programs in it with a few minor changes, but I'm not sure.

I wonder if FB could have support added to it?

Well have fun with it
Master-of-Mischief
Coder

I used to be a big fan of Qbasic, but then I moved to QB, and eventually discovered VBDOS. I thought using forms made programming a little more interesting. There weren't that many new features besides that.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

VBDOS is cool for doing utilitarian code that you only need text mode for, such as configuration or setup programs. If you don't use the GUI-based features, it's little different than QB 7.1 under-the-hood.
Master-of-Mischief
Coder

So which one do you feel is better, VBDOS or QB 7.1? Does QB 7.1 have keywords and features that make it more attractive?
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

VBDOS gives you more development options, the only thing I personally don't like is that the libraries are incompatible with QB 7.1.