favorite game

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

D.S
Coder

favorite game

Post by D.S »

What's everyone's favorite game ever? I have a couple. Myst, Halflife, and Soldat (sorry)
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Sid Meier's Civilization series. Especially #2, followed by #3.
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
Raspberrypicker
Veteran

Post by Raspberrypicker »

ROME: TOTAL WAR

Sadly, Im a history buff, and I'm addicted to this game, which is cutting into my programming time :x
Fruit Pickin'
Brandon
Coder

Post by Brandon »

Gran Turismo (I wish there was a PC version), Civilization 4, Stronghold Legends, The Sims 2

And I can't wait for SPORE to come out!
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

slay, conquest, firefight, empire deluxe, metal knights, empire classic
(old) reach for the stars...
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Brandon wrote:...Civilization 4,...
It would be mine if it didn't run so slow. It barely has any animation, and at that it's mostly frames.

I've got 255.5 RAM :lol:.

I can't believe that I forgot Sim City 2000 and Sim City 4.

Here's my whole spill:
  • Call to Power II
    Chess Master 9000
    Command and Conquer Generals
    SM Alpha Centuari
    Sim Cities
    SM Civs (2-4)
    Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Minesweeper
    Solitare (Don't make fun of me. I beat it in under 90 seconds :P )
And that's just for the computer.
BDZ
Coder

Post by BDZ »

I'll keep it short: my favorite game is Final Fantasy VI.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

A short list of my favorite games ever...yeah, they're all pretty popular games (but hey, they're popular for a reason)

Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Super Mario World & Super Mario Bros. 3
ShenMue
Power Stone
Pokemon Red
Warcraft
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

Deus Ex
Call to Power 2
Hidden Dangerous 2
AOE2
Tekken 5
Commandos
Soldat
N Ninja
Patrician 3

Edit - Forgot these:
Super Smash Brothers
James Bond: Goldeneye
Oblivion
Swat 3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Operation Flashpoint
Larry the Dinosaur 2

And that's about it 8)
Last edited by k7 on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I'm disappointed so little of you listed old classic (pre-1995).

Mine?

Star Control 2 (top favorite)
Another World (second top favorite)
Shadow of the Beast II (mostly because of the atmosphere)
Space Quest I, II, IV, V (part III didn't do it for me)
Conquest of Camelot
James Pond II
Arkanoid II
Bubble Bobble
Cannon Fodder I
Flashback
Final Fight
Giana Sisters
International Karate +
Loom
Monkey Island I
New Zealand Story
Nitro
North and South
Pinball Dreams
Savage
Body Blows Galactic
Turrican II
Traps 'n Treasures
USS John Young
Wings
Twin World
Doom
Budokan
Grand Monster Slam
God of Thunder
Mega Lo Mania
Stone Age
Dune
Star Trek 25th Anniversary

All these games meant a lot to me in some part of my life and I could tell a story about each one. And I probably missed two or three. Most remain a constant point of return for me.

Out of newer games I played, I should mention freeware games made in the style of old classics including Spuds Quest, Knytt, Within A Deep Forest, and Bernie's brilliant adventure games Reactor 9 and Cedric.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Nobody has said anything about Halo. :shock:
My favorite X-BOX games are:
  • Halo (of course)
    SplinterCell
    Morrowind
    KOTOR
    Secret Weapons Over Normandy
    Crimson Sky
    Star Wars Battle Front
    Mech Assualt
And as for Nintendo:
  • Super Mario 64
    Comand and Conquer
    Tetrisphere (the opening music makes this a gimme)
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Now I know why I heard so many times in our community: "I don't really play QBasic games, but please play mine."

Sometimes I wonder what some of you are doing in here. Really. Not that I want to portray myself as some QBasic games champion. I mean, I abandoned QBasic long time ago and now use FreeBASIC. Still, this was done (in my case) only to continue making old school games in Windows. Oh, well. Perhaps I can?t expect for FreeBASIC/QBasic people do be classic games/abandonware fans by default.
Raspberrypicker
Veteran

Post by Raspberrypicker »

Well, I guess I'm not as old as everyone else here. :lol:
So Zelda is as far back as I go. And it's not the original, its the one for the N64 lol.

But I'm still here programming in qb, right? I mean I like old style arcade games too even though it was before my era. I used to be one of those graphic fanbois playing Gears of War on my 360.

But maybe im a changed gamer...i haven't picked up a controller in about 4 months now (when I first knew programming existed). But yes, I now enjoy qb games, no matter how much better halo or any other game is.

I guess it's because it's something that's within my reach, and I can understand the concept of how the game really works.

And yes, I only play one game when I'm not programming (no, it's not super mario), other than qb games.

And honestly, who plays PONG for 8 straight hours LMFAO!!!!!!^!!!!!^!!!!!!!!
Fruit Pickin'
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

I didn't get into making QB/FB games because I liked those 'abandonware'/'oldschool' games. In fact I never played them. I only got into QB/FB/BASIC programming because it was the first language I learnt and enjoyed it. I obviously still program in BASIC, simply because I enjoy it, not because I wish to recreate games similar to the classics.
Dr_D
Veteran

Post by Dr_D »

Another World is my ultimate favorite.
Duke Nukem(original pc version)
Uncharted Waters
Zelda
I got hooked on some snes rpgs, but I can't remember the name of moft of them now. Lufia was one of them... oh, and Lagoon.
I really like Piptol's QBasic games... always thought they were really high quality. Probably the most pro looking stuff that QB had. I liked Lachie's a lot too. Oh, and Jocke's. :P

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any more names right now. :p
The Dr. is INsane!!!
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

And honestly, who plays PONG for 8 straight hours LMFAO!!!!!!^!!!!!^!!!!!!!!
Khm...and this is your reference to QB games? I mean, seriously. Larry The Dinosaur 2, Land Of Illusions, Dark Ages I, Kids of Karendow, Wandering Hamster, Dark Phear, Ghini Run, The Void, TerraScape. Any of this rings a bell?

Anyway, I know a lot of people started coding or code in BASIC because of its syntax and community, but I was kind of under impression that more of them like classic games too.

But it's obviously that times are changing. Even in the abandonware communities. I remember when I stared comming at www.the-underdogs.info around 2001 and older game where much more popular back then (remembering the forum threads). After that I was witnessing a quite notable decline in interest for old games. Luckily, Multimedia Fusion communities hold today the torch of reliving the old classic, weather some people like Multimedia Fusion or not. Hopefully old classic will have another comeback in few years (a real comeback), the one I remember from 2001.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Raspberrypicker wrote:And honestly, who plays PONG for 8 straight hours LMFAO!!!!!!^!!!!!^!!!!!!!!
I beat the record then. Over 10 hours of card solitare.
:oops:

And an hour of pong.

But clasics will never go away. They may seem to fade, but they will always be around. There will always be a Pac-Man and a Galaga in almost every arcade. Otherwise it isn't an arcade.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

My two favorite games are both made by Squaresoft, Final Fantasy 7 and Xenogears. For a long time, Xenogears had the slight advantage but Final Fantasy 7 has taken the lead because of its replayability and much more expansive gameplay. The storyline in Xenogears is better, but both are very well-done (with the exception of the occasional Squaresoft storyline hole). The rest of my favorite games though? Mostly RPGs...Phantasy Star IV, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Final Fantasy 3, Actraiser, Illusion Of Gaia...and then some more modern games like Genji: Dawn Of The Samurai. I even own a Pok?mon game; my wife bought Pearl and I bought Diamond, both for the Nintendo DS, and we really enjoy the games...they're RPGs after all, the only downside to them is that they are incredibly easy, especially to someone like me who has made it a lifelong conquest to play and conquer as many RPGs as possible!

Speaking of which...I find it very hard to get into most NDS games. I've tried out a number of games and have been very disappointed in virtually all of them so far. And it's almost always for the same reasons...either they're overcomplicated or rely on the stylus for things that are better suited to the D-pad and buttons. Aside from Pok?mon, I've yet to find a good RPG for the NDS. Any suggestions?
Optimus

Post by Optimus »

I am currently spending my precious time on every castlevania castloid style game on handhelds (even if I have finished them twice before) trying to level up like hell and find all secrets. And then a bit of relaxing with Test Drive Unlimited, driving mindlessly through the island.

Apart from them, many. Doom, Metal Slug, Contra, Civilization 1, Eye of The Beholder, Unreal Tournament, Dagerfall, Oblivion, many many more oldschool, newschool, retro, handheld, etc. I am preety much waster I guess :)
What is Madness? Pain.
What is Life? Madness

Have a time nevertheless :P
JamesWiding
Coder

Post by JamesWiding »

My Favotite game of all time Star Wars Dark forces. No matter how old it gets it always reminds me of Christmas morning. I played the one level demo for a year straight. I'm into FPS's making me feel like Im there. and lets not forget Grand theft auto 3. I loved walking around for hours beating random people up and taking all their money and then killing the parimedics when they came to save the people. Whos gonna save you dude? Your the guy who saves people. This one time this old lady almost killed me hand to hand but I killed her and she dropped like a 1000 bucks. Must have been bingo night in liberity city. Have you every dropped the controller and just watched the random crap that happens in front of you. Its great you'll see people get ran over or somebody will steal a car. GTA 3 is a venting game.