theres no such thing as.............

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

shootman

theres no such thing as.............

Post by shootman »

getting paid when people download your files.

i was checking out tunesquare and i figured that something similar could be sone with .zip files where you programmers could make a few cents for people to download your file.

i figure, the better quality of the game, the more downloads and the cents in yo pocket.

but heck, its all just a dream that won't even fly eventhough revver(video) exists and tunesquare(music) may exists in the long run as well.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

Getting paid is not the purpose of most programmers that are writing in qb. Also people don't download games that:
1. Are written in the ancient programming language QBASIC.
2. You have to PAY (!??!) for.

Nonetheless, thanks for your tip. Maybe that some guys that write really good-quality games are more positive besides your suggestion. I am not. Sorry. But this is mainly because the fact that I'm really pissed that I can't write good-quality games :P .
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Codemss, before known as RubyNL
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thats why websites have advertisements, they are paid per click. You need a high volume of traffic to make any sort of money out of it though. It is usually done to help cover the cost of running a website.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I have this idea about game sponsoring for a while. I know it's not all that original, but I haven't seen freeware developers using it. It's basically about finding companies that would be willing to put ads in your game. The ads would appear in the intro, somewhere on the main menu, etc. Their size, placing and duration would result in how much these adds would be paid per download, although downloads reporting might be problematic here. Again, I doubt you would have much luck finding people ready to sponsor the game if you game is not excellent at least.

Perhaps I?ll try something like that when and if I ever release an excellent freeware game.

Excellent in the sense of Knytt Stories, Spuds Quest, Love and War, Cave Story, Eternal Daughter, I'm OK, Cedric and the Revolution, Reactor 09, Plasma Warrior, Secret Agent, etc.

If you don't know about what games I'm talking about, you should really do something to change this. A good freeware game developer plays excellent freeware games. Or at least, is aware of them.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
shootman

Post by shootman »

well theres more of a point to it.

people do not need to pay a cent to get the game.

like revver, when you download a program(as long as it's made by you, and has no viruses detected) you and the site owner split half and half.

i don't know how this will work out but im pretty sure large majority of computer nerds will say that making money and freeware don't mix.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

Ow, I thought the the downloaders had to pay to play the game. That wouldn't work :P . It is actually a good tip you're giving, I just misunderstood you. It would be very nic eif I could earn money by people that download your program.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Codemss, before known as RubyNL