64 bit QBASIC

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

aan310

64 bit QBASIC

Post by aan310 »

any one oknow if there is a 64 bit compatible BASIC program? qbasic and quick basic wont run on my 64 bit system
burger2227
Veteran

DOSBOX

Post by burger2227 »

Try DOSBOX for Screen modes other than default 0.

There is a fellow working on a compiler that will work on 64 machines and use your normal 16 bit QB code. So far Galleon is doing a great job and he is adding some new stuff that will not affect the old code. Unlike FB. It is not done yet, but here is a link to the latest news and download demo's.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/585676/

Ted
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

He's got a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go before every being able to come close to FB. I tried out his demo #4, those are some of the worst demos I've ever seen...choppy, SDL-requiring garbage. I certainly hope he can do better than this, because at this rate, it doesn't stand a chance. And no SUB/FUNCTION support? Sheesh, that's the FIRST thing he should have implemented, especially considering that his compiler relies on gpp and it is almost brainless to add.

Code: Select all

SUB MyStupidSub
becomes

void MyStupidSub()
{
and

END SUB
becomes

}
And why gpp? Is he unfamiliar with normal C, which BASIC is closer to? Using C++ is counterintuitive when making a non-OOP BASIC compiler...unless he has plans to add OOP, which would actually be a good idea and might actually convince me to use it and if it actually shows signs of being a decent compiler rather than a half-hearted attempt at a SCREEN 13 emulator, I might actualy stand behind it. After all, the reason I stood behind FB in the beginning is because it was supposed to be QB's successor, but it moves away from this vision with every build so its impossible for me to support it anymore. Here's hoping Galleon doesn't fork it up, but I am not holding my breath.

Hopefully he also ditches that stupid "Press any key to continue" crap when a program ends, because that's just llama. Even compiled QB programs don't do that when they run standalone.

Even though, half the reason I don't like QB64 is because of the network54 parrots who are trying to play shine-helmet with Galleon, and think it's going to be "the death of FB". That kind of elitism is what gives the network54 crowd its bad name.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

I think that only brainless thing here is your previous post.
Maybe you should either go back to fb or just shut up. Or maybe you could write your own compiler? After all, by reading your post, it should not be even a trick for you.

E.K.Virtanen
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I kinda agree with Nodtveidt. Perhaps he was a bit too harsh, but the way QB64 is promoted in the light of FB calls for it.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Nemesis
Coder

Post by Nemesis »

E.K.Virtanen wrote:I think that only brainless thing here is your previous post.
Maybe you should either go back to fb or just shut up. Or maybe you could write your own compiler? After all, by reading your post, it should not be even a trick for you.

E.K.Virtanen
Yes, I think Nodtveidt should write his own compiler.
Then make it free, like FB :wink:
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I never knew you had stooped to such lows, lurah. Oh well. And to think I once considered you a respectable person. Maybe YOU should shut up to avoid bringing further shame to your name. And how you just spoke is exactly the reason I won't support QB64 until it proves that it's worth a damn, because right now it's little more than a kiddie toy, and all of the network54 parrots jabbering on like first graders make it look even worse.

EDIT: If I ever find the time, maybe I'll restart my BSDBASIC project, which was my fourth compiler and my first successful attempt at a BASIC gcc frontend. But I don't expect to find that kind of free time for awhile to come, especially considering I'm a DS coder these days, where I only code in straight C.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Nodtveidt; If we compare your post in my, i think i was the nicer guy of us.
You can support or not QB64, i dont care a bit. I only know that i cant do much with it since it wont run in my platform.
and all of the network54 parrots jabbering on like first graders make it look even worse.
Im not part of that parrot group but can i have a cookie?

E.K.Virtanen
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I don't have to be nice. No one does. But I wasn't attacking anyone in particular either. You were. That's the difference between your post and my post...mine was a generally rude rant of which I am already well-known for (and which most people take with a grain of salt unless they are oversensitive Nancy-boys), yours was an unprovoked personal attack. I also find it highly amusing that you rush over here to blindly defend something you've never even used. That says something about herd mentality, does it not?
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Nodtveidt; I did not ment to attack against you in personal level.
I think that only brainless thing here is your previous post.
See, it was about your post, not you?

Youre ok fella by my side but even ok peoples does write time to time something that is wrong/brainless or something. In this case, i think your reply was way too rude if we consider phase where qb64 is at this moment. It is practically a baby, and if baby cant yet walk properly, you dont start yelling how its crappy or something?

It was purely about your way to reply, not you personally. Sorry if you got that influence but this is the way we work in our side of earth.
I also find it highly amusing that you rush over here to blindly defend something you've never even used. That says something about herd mentality, does it not?
I guess i answered to this allready here too.

E.K.Virtanen
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

E.K.Virtanen wrote:Youre ok fella by my side but even ok peoples does write time to time something that is wrong/brainless or something. In this case, i think your reply was way too rude if we consider phase where qb64 is at this moment. It is practically a baby, and if baby cant yet walk properly, you dont start yelling how its crappy or something?
So which is it? Is it great or is it crappy? It's barely functional and yet I see lots of people hailing it as if it's some kind of savior and FB-slayer. The whole thing wreaks of pompousness and hype, two things I can't stand, especially when there's nothing to back it up. A year from now when it might actually have some working value, then I can understand people hyping it up. But right now? Gimme a break. Yeah, it's a baby alright, but why pump it up to be something it's not? Just makes people look like assclowns.

When it is comparable to GW-BASIC, I'll look at it again. Right now, it couldn't even compete with Cheesecake BASIC. When v1ctor first unveiled FB, it was already a highly functional compiler that could take on QB and win without trying.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Nodtveidt wrote:When it is comparable to GW-BASIC, I'll look at it again. Right now, it couldn't even compete with Cheesecake BASIC. When v1ctor first unveiled FB, it was already a highly functional compiler that could take on QB and win without trying.
What v1ctor or FB has to do with this? There is different ways to create project. Some ones likes to publish it when its more functional and others publishes it from the scratch and works with it. Whats the matter? Are you saying v1ctor way is better or even only right one?
Gimme a break. Yeah, it's a baby alright, but why pump it up to be something it's not? Just makes people look like assclowns.
So what, theyre happy since there is chance to get new compiler? Is it your business to be a judge and an executor?

p.s Do something with your website. That b*stard wont even load. Thats all about functionality this time.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

E.K.Virtanen wrote:What v1ctor or FB has to do with this? There is different ways to create project. Some ones likes to publish it when its more functional and others publishes it from the scratch and works with it. Whats the matter? Are you saying v1ctor way is better or even only right one?
What I'm saying is that you didn't see the inflated egomongering and ass-kissing when FB was first revealed. And what do they have to do with each other? Well that's easy...the network54 flock likes to rag on FB so much that it's as if QB64 was started to spite it, yet when FB first appeared, it was far more functional and could actually have been considered to be a full compiler. Before people start singing the praises of an imaginary opponent, they should have something to praise first. If they don't, then it's just baseless hype and fluff, and where there's baseless hype and fluff, you can be sure I'll be there to be the adversary.

(And I'm not kidding when I say "imaginary opponent". FB and QB64 would be able to happily coexist if the QB64 people would get off of their high horses. The FB crowd doesn't give a snap about QB64; no posts are made about if on freebasic.net's forums, there's only one old, dead thread that even mentions it.)
E.K.Virtanen wrote:So what, theyre happy since there is chance to get new compiler? Is it your business to be a judge and an executor?
It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it. :D It would be fine if they'd keep their crap to network54, but bringing it out of their little corner is where things get dangerous. burgerboy (or should I call him Clippy?) decided to sneak in a jab without reason or provocation, proving that he is a zealot and a sheep. The OP didn't mention FB at all, only qbasic and quickbasic. If burgerclippy had left out those two words, then this whole thing would have been avoided.
E.K.Virtanen wrote:p.s Do something with your website. That b*stard wont even load. Thats all about functionality this time.
The network was having router issues. Everything works now. But that was a great red herring, I'll have to remember that one for the next time I want to start a pointless argument (read: never).
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Nodtveidt wrote:It would be fine if they'd keep their crap to network54, but bringing it out of their little corner is where things get dangerous. burgerboy (or should I call him Clippy?) decided to sneak in a jab without reason or provocation, proving that he is a zealot and a sheep.
Yeah, you are for sure good man enough to say words like that. Specially naming all network54 users that way. But no doubt that when you look in the mirror, you propably see most handsome man in this planet.
The FB crowd doesn't give a snap about QB64; no posts are made about if on freebasic.net's forums, there's only one old, dead thread that even mentions it.
Now could you finally tell what fb got to do with this? There is propably way over 10 basic compilers/interpreters under construction and none of them havent mentioned at fb.net. Is it like that project is crappy unless its not in the top5 topic's at fb.net?

Its you who brings the FB vs. QB64 up here all the time even after in the second post there was clear sentence "It is not done yet, but here is a link to the latest news and download demo's."
Beside of me, even those parrots from a crappy little corner realises that it is a DEMO of unfinished compiler and that then there propably are not much functionalities.
You didnt, so who is the assclown here? Me, them or you?

p.s What comes in my "rudeness", you should propably know in your age that if you throw a rock, for sure someone will throw back because either you do hit him or he just hates peoples who throws rocks.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Maybe YOU should shut up to avoid bringing further shame to your name.
I like to be an asshole when i meet assholes. Its like your company makes you as part of it.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

You have some pretty serious reading/language comprehension problems. And I do mean serious. Clearly what I'm saying isn't getting through to you, but then again, that's to be expected. I have already explained it three times now, I'm not going to do it again. Grab a book on basic English comprehension and read it, then read it again, then re-read what I've written and you might get it.

-I never said everyone at the network54 forum is this way. If you think that I did, then you don't know how to read and/or you have an inferiority complex.
-I have twice now stated the FB relevance. If you don't get it by now, then you are hopelessly lost.
-I don't bring up anything regarding QB64 here "all the time" as you claim. I have far better things to do with my time than talk about yet another BASIC compiler attempt, especially when I've made enough of my own. This is the first time I've even bothered to mention it in any detail. It was mentioned by me in another thread in passing, and some network54 ape jumped all over my shit like he was defending his sugar cookie from an army of ants.

Putting words in my mouth is the #1 way to piss me off. Hollow bragging, boasting, fluff, and hype is the #2 way to piss me off.

And let me get one final point through that head of yours:
I AM NOT AN FB USER.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

There, there boys. It's quite clear I have the biggest weiner in the forum.

Yes.

Edit: P-E-N-I-S is not a dirty word, Pete.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

And let me get one final point through that head of yours:
I AM NOT AN FB USER
I am but what this got to do here?
and some network54 ape jumped all over my shit like he was defending his sugar cookie from an army of ants.
You are that ape then propably since i dont visit at network54 practically at all except maybe once in a month but you seem to post there pretty much.
Clearly what I'm saying isn't getting through to you, but then again, that's to be expected.
Yeah, bullshit is something really hard for me to understand. I am sorry but i havent bought yet a bullshit to english dictionary. For you, it seems to be darn hard to understand that you were way too rude and harsh in your post, and i only wanted to say you were that. There are poples who likes to judge, but cant be judged, and you are like that.
The FB crowd doesn't give a snap about QB64; no posts are made about if on freebasic.net's forums, there's only one old, dead thread that even mentions it.
And there is peoples who doesnt give a snap about you, so why should i?
After all, you are only a Nodtveidt/Eponasoft/something i dont remember and if you think im asshole, im fine with that. Atleast i know there is other assholes too, you to mention one.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

EDIT: Deleted. I don't have to stoop to your level.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Nodtveidt wrote:EDIT: Deleted. I don't have to stoop to your level.
Dont be shy, you dropped yourself in that level allready in your first post.