QB game remakes for Sega MD/Genny ?

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

From what I understand, the five port setup is for timing reasons. Each controller status is read in sequence, and the software interprets the controllers in said sequential order. This was correlated by certain older software exhibiting strange behavior when the multitap was used (such as two controllers working for single player games but only certain switches on one and certain others on the second actually having any effect). Back then, software designers (even Hudson's own staff) were not 100% familiar with how the controller port was timed, so errors like that appeared with the multitap. But they got the hang of it eventually, and by the time the PCE made it to US shores, only one game (China Warrior) suffered from the problem (since the only change to this 1987 game was the title screen). Having only 4 ports would also have been a marketing disadvantage, since the NES had a four-player option and NEC wanted to beat Nintendo in any way possible (Hudson didn't care either way; after all, they were Nintendo's first third-party).

In any event, have you made any progress with the conversion? I've had no free time so nothing's happened over here, heh. :D Having a new baby in the house tends to suck up any notion of "free time".
TmEE
Veteran

Post by TmEE »

Thanks for enlightening me on the 5 ports part :) I love MD controller ports... 6-bit bidirectional parallel port (which each bit's direction can be configured independently) or 4800baud(I may be wrong with that number) RS-232C serial port. I like MD HW level, things are made so easy to deal with, and the system is highly moddable too, my MD2 : http://www.hot.ee/tmeeco/MYSMD2.JPG ;)

I don't have any babies around, but I'm still rather busy :)... I need to work out palettes for the GFX I exctracted and learn to understand the uncommented code for some things like level related stuff. Also, the game is using standard VGA palette :)
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa :P
w1nt0p
Coder

Post by w1nt0p »

irrelevant post removed.

Moderators: please remove this empty post. thanks
Last edited by w1nt0p on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Hrm...must have been someone else then. Sorry 'bout that. Reason I say it is because the text was quite different than what I originally wrote, and it was uploaded to your directory on the server. No one else had access to your directory. As for the other comment, I was still a bit peeved at the time. I apologize, and will edit the post.
w1nt0p
Coder

Post by w1nt0p »

Nodtveidt wrote:Hrm...must have been someone else then. Sorry 'bout that. Reason I say it is because the text was quite different than what I originally wrote, and it was uploaded to your directory on the server. No one else had access to your directory. As for the other comment, I was still a bit peeved at the time. I apologize, and will edit the post.
Much appreciated.
Perhaps wherever I copy/pasted the article from had altered the text, but I made it a point not to alter anything. Thanks for editing your post. :D