GameBasic a good idea?

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Interested in GameBasic?

Yes.
33%
No.
33%
Maybe.
33%

Total votes: 9

Harry Potter
Veteran

GameBasic a good idea?

Post by Harry Potter »

Sorry for the SPAM, but I just want to know:

GameBasic for DOS is to be a version of BASIC for games. It is to contain built-in graphics with sprites, transparencies, clipping, sfx and better drawing routines. This will be for EGA, VGA, Mode-X and SVGA. It will also include digital sound for AdLib and Sound Blaster. It will work for 8086 to Pentium. There should be versions for 16-bit and 32-bit DOS. It will have unsigned number types and variable-length strings in user-defined types. There may be a GUI. Language extensions will be able. Anyone interested? Should I make it? Feedback would be appreciated.
Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Creating magic in the computer community...or at least striving to! :(
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

Why doing it only for dos? Why don't you build a multiplatform?
Harry Potter
Veteran

Post by Harry Potter »

Maybe I could.... A Win32 version would be nice--if I had the knowledge and experience.
Imortis
Veteran

Post by Imortis »

FreeBASIC produces win32 executables.
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

How are you going to do it? It will have a RAD/IDE or a command line? It will be an interpreter, a P-code compiler/interpreter, or a true compiler?

An interesting idea could be a compiler that create flash or java executables (emitting java/actionscript code) so that games can be developed for internet pages.

Also... Will be free software (open source)? Or freeware/shareware? Or omething else?
Harry Potter
Veteran

Post by Harry Potter »

It is planned to be Shareware and include both an interpreter and a compiler. It should have an IDE, but I could use a prompt-based compiler/linker/librarian.
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

To be honest, I'm not much interested in a shareware.
Also, XST Basic for DOS is already a good solution, and it's free.

It can be found at http://www.geocities.com/snakessoft/xst.html or at http://www.geocities.com/snakessoft/vault.html.

It provides an interpreter, a c emitter, 2d and 3d games creation... The only problem, it isn't open source.

Most of DOS users, nowaday, use freedos on old machines, and so I don't think they'd like to spend money to buy software (but I could be wrong)

So, IMHO, you should either release your work as free software, or choose another target (embedded games in web pages, or games for mobile devices)

Good luck
qbasicfreak
Veteran

Post by qbasicfreak »

one of the reasons qbasic and other BASIC programming languages are still going are because members share their source code.
I can promise that nobody will buy a dos program nowadays unless it is a classic.
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

Well, a game-oriented basic compiler is needed for DexOs (http://www.dex4u.com).

DexOs is a tiny, dos-like 32-bit OS with an original GUI, that instead of using a window interface tries to simulate a gaming console.

It's 100% written in ASM, so if you are a good ASM coder maybe it could be your target: the author already said that needs a basic language, something like DarkBasic or BlitzBasic (easy to use, not too advanced, without features like OOP or pointers, but with a lot of built-in graphics and sound commands).

Have a look at the site, maybe your work could be more appreciated here.
floogle11
Veteran

yeah

Post by floogle11 »

i think its good
Go to my Qbsite its: Trueqb.webs.com
Or if you play nazi zombies go to www.Nazizombys.com and register for cheats, hints, and strategys.
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

XST Basic for dos is now open source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xstbasic/