Text screen again...

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Harry Potter
Veteran

Text screen again...

Post by Harry Potter »

I asked about this before: How do I create a text screen to display at the end of a DOS program? One that could advertize, say, a registered version of the software or other software? I have one in TmpCreat, but I want a more polished screen. TmpCreat doesn't use graphic characters and just uses a list format, which is not what I want. Right now, I am using VBDOS but may also use Turbo C/C++ and Open Watcom C/C++.
Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Creating magic in the computer community...or at least striving to! :(
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

Use PRINT CHR$(...); to display special characters (see QBasic help--ASCII character table)
Use COLOR foreground, background to display colors (a foreground bigger than 16 will make blinking text)

Remember that if you are using your program under windows, maybe when it ends the window will close too fast to show your message (add a SLEEP)

Anyway, I don't think that anybody nowadays will pay for a shareware for DOS: most of DOS user are either retrogamers (that won't buy a recent software) or FreeDOS users (that, like linux users, believe in free software and will use your program only if you give them source code and executable for free).
Harry Potter
Veteran

Post by Harry Potter »

Use PRINT CHR$(...); to display special characters
I didn't think of that. However, there must be an easier way.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

you can use a ascii text editor (open command prompt, type edit...and enter.

there you can create your screen, with these codes already in it, and load it like a sequential file to display them.

it gets tricky if you want colors in them. :)
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Harry Potter
Veteran

Post by Harry Potter »

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
I looked at this site. It has a few programs I might use for text screens. Unfortunately, it doesn't include a text screen editor. I can use a text editor for the screens and add colors to them later. I need a program to translate text to PRINT statements, though. Thank you!
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

If you know the ASCII code of a character, you can hold the Alt key and type the code on the numeric keypad. For example, to do an A, hold Alt and type 65 on the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key. An uppercase A will be put where your cursor is, as if you had pressed the key. You can do this for almost any of the characters in the ASCII set.
Harry Potter
Veteran

Post by Harry Potter »

Thank you. I appreciate your help. I could convert a text file to PRINT statements by hand--unless there's a program to do that for me. Then I can add COLOR statements where needed.