Good old days.

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

seaBiscuit$
Coder

Good old days.

Post by seaBiscuit$ »

GarryRicketson mentioned in another thread that a "good old days" discussion would be cool, so i thought i'd start it out. i'm also curious to see who's using this site and meet the new people too (i haven't been here in years. :( )

i learned about QBasic maybe around 2000 (far from the good old days) from Mallard's tutorials over at the original QBasic.com. i downloaded and played just about every game there. They were awful, but so much fun because they were understandable, modifiable, and there was a sense of connection with the authors since they were just bored kids like me.

The QBasic zines were always great. Are there any still going?

Come on! Let's have a nostalgia thread...
sid6.7 wrote:everytime i see your avatar i want to scream and kill it.... :)
ComputerWarrior

Post by ComputerWarrior »

Nice to see you back, seaBiscuits, as you mentioned you haven't been here in years. Yes, I am new and learned QBasic from this site in 2008. Never really used the forums until a couple days ago.
UWLabs
Coder

Nostaligia

Post by UWLabs »

Well, it is the Christmas Season, and it has been years since I've programmed anything significant in QB - but I thought I'd drop by and see if the dust has accumulated too deeply on all things QB.

All the 'kids' have grown, and old-timers like myself, are just plain old codgers.

But none-the-less, Merry Christmas! :D
And a Happy QB to all.

- UnderWare Labs
aka: Steelcharm
(Lester) First QB'd in 94
msdos622wasfun
Coder

Post by msdos622wasfun »

One of the first major projects I ever completed in QuickBASIC was in 1989 or something like that, and it was a text editor called "The Better Line Editor." Of course, you guessed it, it was not a full-screen word-processing type of editor, bur rather, a line-oriented editor. The goal was to make it more user-friendly than EDLIN, which is what came with MS-DOS.

Looking back, I think there were quite a few ways I could have improved on it. The interface was kind of nice, but the underlying code was a bit sloppy, and back then the things I did still had a very amateur feel to them. I'm almost tempted to re-write it just for the sake of re-writing it, to see if I could really make it into the improved version I have in mind now of what it could have been.
Check out my Freeware at <a href="http://erichkohl.blogspot.com/p/my-software.html">My Software Page!</a>