Hello from new member TuLithu

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

TuLithu
Coder

Hello from new member TuLithu

Post by TuLithu »

Just thought I would introduce myself...

After using Windows XP/Vista/7 for years, I decided that I would like to learn more about programming and operating systems, so like a nutjob I installed xubuntu and VirtualBOX running MS-DOS 6.22. Wow, talk about WAY too much to learn at once! At first I was planning on learning True BASIC, but when I tried out QBASIC, I found it interesting, and it appears that the QBASIC community is much larger, which is a help for me (hopefully).

So for now, I'll content myself with working on QBASIC and MS-DOS, and worry about Linux and VirtualBOX later. Who knows, maybe in 5 years I can get my mouse, sound card, and DVD ROM to work :lol:
bongomeno
Veteran

Post by bongomeno »

Qbasic is a great language to start with. Have you seen QB64? http://www.qb64.net/
TuLithu
Coder

Yes...

Post by TuLithu »

I looked at QB64 on the website...it looks great. I'll probably switch to it in a year or two, but right now I'm tryinq to get my DOS skills up and running. I just ordered QBASIC by Example, and also Norton's huge DOS 6.22 book. I thought about buying the Revolutionary Guide, but when I saw that they were selling it for $240 on Amazon, I decided to wait.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I am an American living in Turkey. It was so funny when I visited a local University library, where stuck between books on Python and C++ were old yellowing copies of books about GWBasic in Turkish :)
GarryRicketson
Veteran

Welcome and hello

Post by GarryRicketson »

Hello TuLithu,
Welcome, to the forum, I have not been here for so long, I am almost like a stranger, or a new comer, too,...I am glad I stopped in, this is where I started when I first tried qbasic,
Interesting about Turkey, I have allways wished I could afford to go there and see the country, also Tibet, would be neat, who knows maybe some day,
Have you tried Teds (Clippy)s qbasic tutorial,? it is pretty neat, there is a link to it in his signature,.. Also, if you like DOS, you may like FreeDos, FREE DOS Qbasic runs fine with it, and unlike DOS 6.22, Free Dos, is still being developed, improved, plus it is for free,
Ok well guess that is all from me at this time,
From Garry r