So you want to install Windows 10 on an XP?

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Well Worn

Re: So you want to install Windows 10 on an XP?

Post by Well Worn »

I was looking on Newegg and seeing mixed reviews on drives of all flavors. I was thinking of WD Black or Red rather than Blue, just because WD has (had) a good name, but several reviewers have reported failed Red drives right out of the box, one including the RMA replacement too. Hitachi (Travelstar) was top rated a few years ago and I've had really good service with them in laptops, but now they're owned by WD, and some are saying the QC is slipping. Seagate was not well respected years ago, and now seems to have gotten better, but maybe that's just comparative to everyone else's sliding quality. Samsung, Toshiba, all seem to have issues. Maybe it's just the rotten eggs that are reported, and there are tens of thousands of satisfied users for every bad one, but not having "spare time" to deal with home computers that refuse to work, it gives me pause. It may be time to move to a NAS (RAID 1) for our data, and just keep a base OS and programs on the box, fully cloned to a spare drive (or SSD, or CD/DVD) via Norton Ghost, or Macrium Reflect.

Odd how some have claimed needing to reload their OS "every year" to clear up bugs, bloat, etc, but I had my laptop going on the same load of 98SE it came with when I bought it used in 2002 until I went to ME in 2008 or 9, and haven't had to reload OS or 'revert' to a prior restore point yet. It's on it's second screen, third HD, second set of removable RAM, and I just recently replaced the keyboard, but it still computes (and has the FREE version of Solitaire!). I somewhere have a Ghost image of the 98SE version, and could use that as a restore point if really needed, and have a ME clone on a USB stick from the last HD before it quit altogether. Not sure how I'd clone a Win10 system, other than to another huge HD.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Well I was tough on my 98 as I played Doom and other games, plus downloaded a lot of other programs.
I had to re-install 98 a lot more than SE, but I was also programming stuff and found ways to push the system.
Eventually I figured ways to back up system files to restore Windows long before M$ ever did thanks to the web!

As to HD reputations, every review of everything on Amazon never gets 100%! There will always be failures,
especially when people have no idea how to do things. That's one reason I am documenting this here!

The 250 G HD was a Seagate for $12 and not meant to be used as a Windows HD. It turned out to be a Dynamic
drive which I converted to a Basic drive only because some other people documented a way to do it using a
program that was no longer the latest version and they provided a link to it for free.

That's what the internet is for, but life is often a gamble and there will always be losers. That's how Vegas was built! :wink:

Once I figure everything out, I may condense it in another thread as this has gotten pretty long...
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

The laptop has been getting yellow Warnings mostly from failed App updates that later were installed:
I installed the Tom Tom GPS app and it stopped for some odd reason so I reinstalled it.

The laptop seems to be running pretty well after 3 days boot free. Memory usage is from 85% to 90%:
Task Manager is accessible also by right clicking the Start Window like Control Panel is.

Task Manager appears to block desktop picture taking Applications using the Print Screen key too!
Wouldn't want to allow people to take pictures or copy and paste information to try to FIX SOMETHING eh?
I was able to use PrintKey to take a shot on the laptop by clicking the Icon in the Task Bar Programs area,
but that program only works on 32 bit machines. M$ still doesn't seem to get it do they?

The 64 bit desktop PC has been pretty good the last few days Google Update Helper didn't then did:
Windows Shell Experience Host has been closed for not responding, whatever that does...

Maybe I can install this new screenshot App?
Microsoft Snip brings Windows screenshots to life with voice and ink

Here is my first Task Manager picture using SNIP:
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

The SNIP Beta 64 bit App has a frame interface at the top of the screen that drops down when the mouse touches it:
You can also use the pen or look in the Snip Library. Pictures are saved as PNG or MP4 when sound is added.

Microsoft Snip 32 or 64 bit brings Windows screenshots to life with voice and ink

Snip automatically frames the entire screen and moves in to frame windows when targeted.
A simple click saves the entire screen or framed window. Saved Snip pictures default to My Documents.

Writing seems easier than actually doing it with a mouse. A touch screen might help:
Actually I'd prefer Text letters to free hand. I have to use the largest font to label photos using Paint.

Esc key exits a framing session and all clicked pictures are stored in the library without names. Click them to Save.
Print Screen key starts a Snip framing session too once the App is running up top.

Snip cannot take pictures of its upper interface. Library or Editor shown below:
Basic colors including black, no white. The Eraser actually works quite well to remove entire bad letter attempts on any background.
Maybe M$ will sell us stencils of popular font letters to get them looking professional?

Snip on my laptop comes up after PrintKey and frames it in when both are running:
Prinkey starts up from the Start folder so I could disable it by removing it if Snip works best.

Startup programs can now best be accessed in Task Manager's(header snipped off by Snip) Startup tab:
I'd like to know why the top two get off not being measured? Maybe it will evaluate them later...

The Greenshot Image Editor still works with Print Screen key when the Snip App is closed:
Greenshot places the pictures on the desktop, Snip likes the Document Folder NOT PICTURES.
When I tried to SAVE to a New Folder in Pictures and was offered just the Picture folder it STILL
says I DON'T HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THAT FOLDER!
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

I decided to try the more accurate AccuWeather App on my Windows Phone, keeping the MSN one for $$$:
The Windows Phone App has added a picture and weather information on the Lock Screen also.

Originally the MSN Weather App had info on the lock screen, but it went away and never returned...
So all I had left was just lousy temperature readings! Why bother to report them at all if they are 5 degrees off?

The AccuWeather App has some ads way up top, but not intrusive or ugly. I'd be broke if I bought every ad...
Maybe I'll post some pictures of my phone Apps with Snip when we go Windows 10 in October!

Laptop reliability took another hit today as Cortana and SSDP Discovery(PNP network devices) went south:
Tom Tome Home program I accidentally ran twice and had to abort one version. Had to install again.
I never tried to use Cortana all day, but she seems friendlier on my 64 bit desktop machine so far.

Microsoft backports privacy-invading Windows 10 features to Windows 7, 8

KB 3068708: This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB 3068708 is listed as collecting diagnostics about functional issues on systems that take part in the Customer Experience Improvement Program. Determining whether or not you are a member of the CEIP, however, is less than obvious. The KB also notes that “Most programs make CEIP options available on the Help menu, although for some products, you might have to check settings, options, or preferences menus.” This is a recommended Windows update.

KB 3022345: This update has been superseded by KB 3068708, but previously provided the same telemetry-tracking services. It’s not clear how the two updates differ, but if you want to remove all traces of telemetry tracking, you’ll want to remove this update as well.

KB 3075249: This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels. What this appears to mean is that MS wants more information about the kinds of applications that trigger UAC in the first place, presumably because it wants to know what they do and why they need that access. This update is classified as Optional.

KB 3080149: This update is described in identical language to the first two. “This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.” It is provided as an Optional update, even though the first was classified a “Recommended” update.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

After 2 boots today, the Startup list in Task Manager has tested all but Snip which I disabled before that:
I decided to disable CCleaner because I never see it do anything.
Garmin Express and Tom Tom Home are GPS updating services that I need on the laptop
for emergencies only. I can keep the Garmin Express running on my desktop for automatic downloads.
Snap can be started with the App in the Start Menu as a tile with scissors on it.

AVG offered a free PC Tuneup today so I figured why not.
Looks pretty bad eh? It said it fixed them all with no problem and then offered a disk scan as never done.
After a reboot and a scan stuck at 12% for over a half hour, I just rebooted and skipped it!

PC TuneUp said it stopped a Windows program that was collecting data at startup too...
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Appears that AVG PC TuneUp may have disabled themes and wanted to reduce Chrome Browser.
Naturally I said no on that! Only browser I use for crying out loud!

Both AVG Tune Up and Maintenance apps will be removed tonight...

A bit worried about BT OBEX...may need to try something as I lost keyboard today and had to remove
and reinstall immediately like the Motorola BT Mouse a few times before. USE AT OWN RISK!

FIX: Some Bluetooth services that use the Object exchange (OBEX) protocol are not published after you restart a Windows Embedded CE 6.0-based device that has the Bluetooth feature enabled

I cannot recommend this except if things get a lot worse!
How To Fix Bluetooth Not Working In Windows 8.1
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

So far today, laptop has been slow only one day running, taskbar does not go down as set to. Chrome slower.

Windows 10 grabs 5.21% market share, passing Windows Vista and Windows 8. XP usage actually went up.

Twitter App quit again or was shut down. I have decided not to use Twitter or Facebook Apps again for now.
Facebook App still keeps making me SIGN IN HALF THE TIME. That requires TYPING full Email and password!

Taskbar working now and Chrome browser seems to have picked up speed, musta been groggy from too much sleep...reboot to eliminate some startup programs disabled yesterday.

CsrBtOBEXService.exe stopped working. The other BlueTooth OBEX.
CSR Harmony-enabled wireless platform provides a wireless solution that enables the user to easily and intelligently manage their ever-growing collection of Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPS devices through their PC. CSR Harmony provides a premium audio experience, supporting wide-band mono audio and also the new apt-X lossless stereo codec. The apt-X codec delivers CD-quality audio over the Bluetooth link with virtually no latency. Lip-sync issues common with normal Bluetooth stereo headsets are a thing of the past. In addition to high-end audio, CSR Harmony enables the Bluetooth and Bluetooth low energy ecosphere of devices including a new range of wireless connected low energy health and fitness products such as heart rate monitors and pedometers.
Faulting application name: CsrBtOBEXService.exe, version: 2.1.63.0, time stamp: 0x4f684e94
Faulting module name: CsrBtOBEXService.exe, version: 2.1.63.0, time stamp: 0x4f684e94
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00006560
Faulting process id: 0x854
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0e4f38bcc99c8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CSR\CSR Harmony Wireless Software Stack\CsrBtOBEXService.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\CSR\CSR Harmony Wireless Software Stack\CsrBtOBEXService.exe
Report Id: 877b1f22-449f-42dd-980e-00cec1e4d548
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
More reports later...as needed. Today is another red warning day.

Here is the latest Windows 7 updates for the desktop 32 bit XP upgrade :
I imagine my laptop's stability line would probably be up there too if I had stuck with 7...
Remember that this PC was only rated at 1 for performance due to an old Intel display driver
while the XP laptop was rated at 3.2. Oddly Snood game plays faster on the Windows 7 PC.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Laptop had 4 successful updates today so far. No warnings yet, but its early. 7 days to go back to 7...

Browser war has Chrome winning!

Sorting through the changes in Windows licensing
Long-term, portability is not part of the free version of Windows 10. When you install Win10, Microsoft's activation servers create and store a unique ID based on the old key plus the hardware in your machine. The Win10 upgrade will stay tied to that upgraded system and your original Win7/8 key will no longer be valid. (You can roll back to Win7, but you're not allowed to run both your original OS and Win10, say, in a virtual or dual-boot setup.)

A Microsoft spokesperson stated: "After the first year, you would not be able to move the installation to a different device, as the upgrade is specific to your device, not your license or Windows account. After that first year, for devices not upgraded, you would have to purchase a copy of Windows 10 through the Microsoft Store or Microsoft retail partners."

To make things even more confusing, if you eventually purchase a retail edition of the Win10 license, you will be able to move that copy from one computer to another — that version comes with portability rights.
Well I bought my versions of Windows 7 so they can move anywhere too right...

Latest on the MSN(blue) VS AccuWeather(orange) Weather App War: 10AM
AccuWeather is winning on hot days! MSN is still denying Global Warming...Billy G won't like that!

MSN Weather was actually reading 77 until I clicked on it to see 81 then it stayed at that: 1PM
My Verizon FIOS WeatherBug TV widget says 88 and 90 in Weekly list. Even MSN predicts 90, never gets there...
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Laptop made 24 hours with 4 app updates and no failures or warnings. Meanwhile privacy takes another hit!

Microsoft slips user-tracking tools into Windows 7, 8 amidst Windows 10 privacy storm
For those who don’t know, Microsoft is currently working on it’s first non-patch update for Windows 10, currently codenamed Threshold 2 and was originally supposed to launch sometime in October. But as of recently, it appears that release window may have slipped ever so slightly, as according to my sources, Threshold 2 will now launch in early November instead.
Temperatures were 10 degrees different again with MSN lower naturally:

MSN Weather App shows 81 and 88 as the high, when it is already 90:
Forecasts predict better highs, but they are never reached! AccuWeather is better with ads!
Ads take up a small corner and change every so often. Not obtrusive at all!

Windows Phone AccuWeather App shows current temperature and REALFEEL plus hints at rain:
Ad on top is a bit bigger, but I can live with it. More info to right side with forecasts and white BG radar.

Cortana stopped responding and was closed when I woke laptop up. Not something I noticed anyhow.
Apps always seem to be runnable later. Cannot tell that they have been closed so far...

Facebook and Twitter seem to take a lot of memory in the browser or apps which I have stopped using for now.
Twitter and Facebook also send out Notification bars from Action Center on right when running app or in browser.

Photobucket's web site was using a lot until I decided to re-apply Add Blocker Plus as the ads were annoying.
One ad was huge and hid behind Chrome asking Who is Tracking You? The popup blocked my picture views.
Photobucket keeps blaming problems on ABP to keep their ads visible, but everything works OK so far...
Shockwave Flash errors on Photobucket page have stopped and it uses a TON LESS MEMORY TOO!
NOTE: Photobucket picture editing will not work with Ad Block enabled. Had to rotate picture to fix.
Old pictures rotated cannot be deleted either! Rotated picture names are atrocious...

Play Memories has worked so far loading camera photos, just have to click on camera and load buttons.
Keeps pictures in proper orientation most of the time too. Wish it worked as well as Camera Window
on my 64 bit machine. May try to install it again later. PM places pictures in a Daily folder, not monthly.

MyRadar App says rain is forming around here. Moves like coming from NE. Free or $2 ad free on all devices:
I love this app! Click on a spot and it will zoom in to there with scroll button or touch if you have it.
Also can be set to a location as a Zip Code or present location marked blue dot. Only a 5 minute lag!
MSN motion radar is perhaps TWO HOURS AGO on phone! Both have white map still radar in menu! No times.
MSN Phone app in motion from 4 hours to 1.5 hours ago.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Day 3 of this run on the laptop has only had one hiccup, a failure by Cortana on day 2:
Stability has risen to 4, the highest level since installation on August 11th.

Although I placed laptop in Sleep mode by pressing power button quickly, it never did.
Task Manager says that CPU is running about 25% with memory at about 85% to 90%.
Latop is sluggish at first and seems to get faster with time...

Garmin and Tom Tom GPS update services are still using memory despite being disabled at startup.

The 64 bit Win 7 to 10 desktop PC has a stability of only about 5 so far with the last problem 2 days ago (NOTE identical crash times!):
Facebook App seems to also have problems on this computer...Win 10 installed on Aug 6th at one month deadline
Facebook App still asking for email and password even after entering it a dozen times! VERY IRRITATING!

The 64 bit PC also did not go to Sleep mode on day 4 since last update reboot!
Tom Tom Home App required a reinstall for Windows 8 or 10 version. Uninstall was only listed in Start Menu.
When new apps are installed they are listed as New in the Start Menu so you can pin them to tiles if you wish.
Apps are listed alphabetically and you can click any letter header to get a list of letters. All can be pinned.
Tiles and App list scroll down with mouse. Both also have a scroll side bar that appears on the right side.

The Action Center holds notifications from Twitter, Facebook and AccuWeather:
Notifications from these and other applications such as MSN Mail can be read at your leisure.

I think that Microsoft should allow us more time to evaluate before getting stuck with it! Especially in starting months!
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Lost BlueTooth keyboard due to a driver error according to Settings on laptop's day 4:
Attempt to remove it has not occurred for many minutes. Will attempt on reboot...

Laptop was running poorer today and even Chrome was slow to open tabs.
Can I live with just 3 days running? Perhaps, I can always use the 64 bit one on my desk.

After 10 minutes of watching this circle go around I had to power laptop off and reboot:
2 minute startup and Settings was still removing BT keyboard. Clicked remove again.
Then I pushed BT connect button on keyboard to pair with random 8 digit number entered quickly.

Bluetooth OBEX again without a noticeable stability hit at 5! BT mouse ran through it all.
Will attempt to see if there may be a M$ fix somewhere. The laptop BT device is original.

Ran Services using Windows key + R and entering services.msc to see how things were set up:
USE AT OWN RISK! Highlighted Bluetooth Support Services right clicked and selected Properties.
Changed Startup box from Manual(Trigger Start) to Automatic(Delayed Start) as per link below:
Bluetooth is not working in Windows 8 / 7
Once Trigger Start is changed, only can be set to Automatic, Delayed Start or Disabled
Not sure what that might help after FOUR DAYS, but I'll give it a shot. Won't know right away anyhow...

Note: Bluetooth Handsfree Service is only used when a wireless headset is used!

Windows 10 has the Device Manager listed in the right click Start button menu:
I checked all BT drivers online through Properties and all are up to date. BT keyboard is listed as PS/2.

Bluetooth Mouse disconnects randomly
Looking a little lower I found Bluetooth Properties in Human Interface Devices had power settings set:
I unchecked the Allow computer to turn off device to save power boxes on both. We shall see...

Also was able to find a new driver for my Motorola BT Mouse in Mice and other pointing devices Properties:
I'm assuming that PS/2 means it thinks the BT mouse is in the PS/2 port...have to reboot again to set it up...

After reboot the Synaptics Touch Pad was always enabled, so I tried another Synaptics driver with no luck
and reinstalled the older XP driver for it again. Now the touchpad is blocked and I have a new BT mouse page:
The new mouse settings allows "Move to Button", but holding down to lock drag and drop just works.
That move to button setting keeps getting unchecked on reboots. Will have to reboot and see...

HOORAY! Pointer snaps to default button and battery warning!

40 second shutdown and 45 second boot with sign in password!

Bluetooth OBEX quit 3 more times...
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Laptop Reliability shows a big hit on stability and four Bluetooth Service failures in 5 hours:
Installations show a successful Device ID Service, both a PS/2 mouse and pointing device.

It appears that the first 2 successful driver installs happened with the first reboot.
The first driver update picture creation time of the PS/2 mouse driver was at 6:13.
Windows found that one and the next successful driver was the last one for an XP.
The last XP install brought back the touchpad blocking when a mouse is detected.

The last successful driver install occurred at exactly the SAME TIME as the third OBEX failure.
The last failure happened not long after the LAST successful driver update... :(
Device Identification Service and Bluetooth Device have both been installed 4 times.
Bluetooth OBEX and CsrBtOBEX Services have failed 34 times in less than a month! :(

Hopefully the OBEX problems happened due to new driver installs and there will be less problems!

Found another sale on laptop hard drives. 320 G for $20:
That's double what I put in my laptop for $28 refurbished. Hope they last!

How to download the last three versions of Windows officially at no cost
These downloads can be validated and accessed using either a retail or OEM product key. Some OEMs placed stickers on the bottom of their devices with the Windows product key on it however, in recent years they have begun embedding those keys in the system BIOS. You will need to retrieve your product key from the OS before clean installing so you can use it to download the ISO from Microsoft. Retail keys are usually available on the retail box, disc or in an email you received if purchased electronically.

I use a program called Belarc Advisor (Free) to view the product keys for software, including Windows, that is installed on my systems.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

I found an HD webcam with built in microphone on Amazon for $22 with a free trial of Prime.
Had to download the software and the manual from: http://www.Logitech.com/support/C270
The main reason I wanted it was for the mic to search with voice using Cortana.
I may also use it on my 64 bit desktop computer or any other as it is simple to set up!

The camera rests on top of a monitor or laptop screen and only requires a USB 2 port, no mic cable:
The bracket elbow just pushes against the monitor back to hold itself loosely. Green recording LED, no light.

I asked for "Show me a map of Pittsburgh" and Cortana said it was about 325 miles away below:
The application running up top is a Speech Recognition App where you can give Windows voice commands.
I was able to open both Weather Apps by name, but could not get the MSN Mail app to open at all...
Multiple Apps are run from "Start Menu" then "Apps" and "show numbers" to select them by numbers instead
of app names. The numbers alternate with names in the positions to allow a choice to be made.

I tried the Windows 10 Camera App now that I had one and was sent to Privacy Settings before it would run:
I decided not to allow other Apps to have the camera. I also never thought they needed one!...
The camera also has a green light to indicator when it is on. The mic appears to stay on all the time.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Received a notification in the Action Center that Windows Update had scheduled a reboot tonight:
Clicking the notification in the list sent me to Update Settings to schedule an install reboot time.

I had a choice of several days to install update from today until next Tuesday at 5:45 AM...
I decided to see how the laptop runs for a couple more days and install the update on Friday at 5:45 AM.
That will mark the one month judgement day for the laptop's Windows 10 installation!

Who says that Microsoft forces updates on you? Just schedule it!

The 64 bit desktop PC took a stability hit today with lots of updates and 2 failures, one occurring with Win 10 Update:
Host Process for Setting Synchronization is used to synchronize multiple computer settings. I don't use it!
Dwm.exe is a Desktop Window Manager used for Aero to provide transparent windows.

Updates included many installed when I woke it up and A Cumulative Update for Windows 10 with reboot.
Also I successfully updated the Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth compact USB device in Device Manager.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

How to clean-install a Windows 10 upgrade AFTER you do a free upgrade to 10 from W7 or 8.

Laptop woke up this morning and seems to be running well on day 4 so far. Then Mail App quits!
I clicked on an Email notification in the Action Center on right side of desktop and it opened to say "Not synced".
I closed it and went to the Mail App tile in the Start Menu and it came up with the email listed up top.
The email was about a solution to the Bluetooth OBEX errors... suggested updating drivers which I already did...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 5e7c86a854

Laptop on last day of one month trial. Oddly the Mail App was updated less than an hour before!
Maybe the updates cause these problems too? No Bluetooth OBEX errors in 4 days!
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

The 5:45 laptop update woke me up with a new lock screen picture from Facebook finally showing up:
The update also caused another Bluetooth OBEX Service failure! Is Windows 10 reporting reboots as failures?

Yesterday the Theme background seemed to stop working so I ended up going to Personalization:
I had recently added the Sunrise in Key West photo to my Facebook profile picture background
and the Facebook App on the laptop kept asking me if I wanted to synchronize and it finally did!
Despite the fact that I have not used the FB App since the last time it asked me for a password.
If you have Facebook open and signed in on a browser then the FB App may skip the sign in...
MSN Mail, Facebook, Twitter and AccuWeather leave notifications in Action Center on right.

Both Windows 10 and my Facebook photo block the tall ship far away on the left side.
Picture quality is much better than what is depicted here.

I also set AccuWeather App to show weather information(sunflower icon), but nothing yet...
Lock screen settings for apps may not work if already installed. May need to be reinstalled to work.
Other Apps can show quick notifications too such as Mail, Facebook and Calendar.

I also found the Screen Saver Settings which Windows 10 had stopped using, Bubbles...
The screen saver now has the bubbles with an EERIE dark lit background, not the desktop.

Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'
"The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'. I thought Microsoft [said] this 'upgrade' was optional. If so, why is it being pushed out to so many computers where it wasn't reserved, and why does it try to install over and over again?
Part of the problem may be Windows Upgrades needed BEFORE you can even attempt to install Windows 10...

Another Windows 10 PR disaster in the works?
Peshape

Post by Peshape »

Should i upgrade to windows 10? I got notification to upgrade mine windows xp is working fine for home PC. I have kids that use Dual core PC on windows xp.

Windows XP SP3 ISO Full Version Free Download
Last edited by Peshape on Wed May 11, 2016 6:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

That would depend on your present OS. Is the Windows 10 icon in your taskbar?
If not, you may need to download OPTIONAL UPDATES before it will appear!
Check the icon for upgrade status and perhaps allow it to download the files for you.
If Microsoft downloads everything then you won't need a ISO file, flash drive or blank CD.

Notifications for Apps go to the Action Center and icons to taskbar:
Oddly AVG PC Tuneup is no longer installed! I can see this list getting longer...
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Windows 10 is shaping up to be the most unstable release since 2000 Millennium Edition

How to fix Windows 10's worst problems

I will post final Reliability report as I am traveling with the laptop soon.

Final Reliability report has a Cortana shutdown and automatic restart I noticed it quit once for a few seconds:
Stability is up and down around 5. NTVDM not running Qbasic 4.5 graphic full screen happened 2
other days out of 5. App updates can happen every day and are only noticeable in Maintenance chart.

Start and Action Center can be slow to respond and another click may hide them when they finally open.
NTVDM problem was reported and the only other answer was more reports and long waits for answers!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 4579539395