So you want to install Windows 10 on an XP?

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

burger2227
Veteran

Re: So you want to install Windows 10 on an XP?

Post by burger2227 »

Edge Favorites Management Utility Imports, Exports, Sorts, Renames and Moves Favorites
The November Update changed the way how Microsoft Edge stores the favorites. Ever since they are stored in a database file named spartan.edb, and it’s impossible to export Edge favorites natively or manage them the way you want.

Check out EdgeManage (Manage Edge Favorites), which allows you to do these things:

View favorites and folders in a graphical tree
Use "drag and drop" to move favorites and folders around
Sort all or portions of your favorites
Rename folders/favorites
Manually add/delete folders/favorites
Edit the URLs inside favorites
Import favorites from an HTML-based bookmarks.html file
Export favorites to an HTML-based bookmarks.html file
Import favorites from Internet Explorer
Export favorites to Internet Explorer
Backup and Restore the Edge database (can also be used to copy to another PC)
Create Internet shortcuts on the desktop
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

A few days ago, AVG installed something and closed my Chrome browser immediately!

Today I was notified I had a new extension on Chrome so I found and removed AVG Web Tuneup

When it had closed Chrome, it also lost all of the page tab settings and I could not restore them!

Also AVG seems to be installed twice. Isn't Zen similar to deja vous?
In the Start Apps list, AVG and AVG Zen folders both contain AVG? Redundant!

If the Chrome tile in the Start menu is bigger than the tile keep this script handy to fix after updates:
Google Chrome Start Screen Tile Icon Fix (Script)
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

New Microsoft beta lets workers build their own apps without coding
PowerApps allows line of business employees to take data from a variety of sources and create apps that run on phones and tablets without requiring them to do any coding. Developers' time is often constrained, so doing something like creating a mobile expense reporting app might not be a top priority, even if it would save time and money.

Applications built with PowerApps, which can run on iOS, Android and the web, can pull data from sources including Dropbox, OneDrive, Dynamics CRM and SharePoint Online. That's notable, since it shows Microsoft reaching outside its own products to include some that it competes with.
Windows 10 growth slows as OS X makes market share gains
The growth of Windows 10 continues, albeit slowly, the latest figures from NetMarketShare show. The statistics for April reveal that, at long last, Windows 7 is no longer installed on the majority of computers, slipping to a 48.79 percent market share. Windows 10 saw slight growth to 14.35 percent (up from 14.15 percent), and Windows XP dropped below 9.66 percent.

Usage of Windows 8.x stayed largely stable (12.11 percent compared to 12.01 percent in March), but the balance between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (9.16 percent down from 9.56 percent) shifted slightly, with the older version seeing slight growth (2.95 percent, up from 2.45 percent). OS X's market share increased slightly, and Linux dropped a little.

Linux is to be found on just 1.56 percent of computers (down from 1.78 percent), while Apple's operating system is installed on 9.19 percent (up from 7.78 percent). NetMarketShare reports that Windows Vista is installed on almost as many computers as Linux (1.34 percent).
Should You Disable Windows Services to Speed Up Your PC? ....NO!
This may have been true once upon a time. Fifteen years ago, I had a Windows XP computer with just 128MB of RAM. I remember using a service tweaking guide to free up as much of that RAM as possible.

But this isn’t the world we live in anymore. A modern Windows computer has much more memory, and can boot up in just a few seconds with a solid-state drive. If your computer takes a long time to boot up and has a lot of memory full, it’s probably not system services causing that problem–it’s startup programs. Windows 10 makes it easy to control your startup programs, so use that tool and leave the services alone.
Chrome Overtakes Internet Explorer For Most Popular Desktop Browser
This growth by Chrome should not be too surprising as Microsoft has left Internet Explorer behind for Edge but unfortunately, the Edge browser available to the vast majority of Windows 10 users is a sub-par experience as it lacks basic features like extensions. With that being said, the Windows 10 update coming later this year will make Edge a much better offering which could impact Chrome’s growth.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

A new version of Paint is apparently coming to Windows 10 as a Universal app
Paint might be a part of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update due out later this summer, or it could just be an effort by Microsoft to make all its other Windows desktop applications into Universal Windows 10 apps. As other users point out on Twitter, XPS Viewer, Windows Fax & Scan, Microsoft Character Map, and Wordpad are listed in the Windows Store but are not yet available to use.
Paint is currently listed in the Windows Accessories folder with IE, Wordpad, XPS Viewer and MANY others:
The list of Windows accessories must be scrolled to see them all and defeats looking for them alphabetically.
Yes I still use Paint for circuit schematics and picture labeling so I hope they do not screw it up!

SQLite Data Access in Universal Windows Platform (UWP) Apps
SQLite version 3.11.2 is shipping with the Windows 10 Anniversary edition as part of the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) and is recommended for all UWP local data storage needs. This represents the first time an open source, third-party library, such as SQLite, has shipped as part of the SDK.
Adblock Plus will soon let you tip websites when visiting them
Adblock Plus essentially views this feature as the solution to ads. The theory goes: Ads are bad, and people are totally willing to pay for content, so easily distributing money from readers to publishers will let ads die and make everyone happy.

There are some flaws in that logic, however. Ads may often be annoying, but they can pay at a scale that readers can't. Adblock Plus says its goal is to raise "raise a half billion dollars" for publishers in 2017 — which sounds nice, but a report from Adobe and PageFair found that ad blockers led to a loss of $22 billion in revenue during just the first seven months of 2015.
Who are they kidding? Adblock Plus' 10% stands to make $50 million on that half billion dollars of revenue!
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Microsoft: Windows 10 upgrades will cost $119 starting July 30th
In an announcement of 300 million Windows 10 users, Microsoft has started driving awareness of the July 29th date. "Time is running out," says Yusuf Mehdi, who heads up Microsoft's Windows and devices marketing efforts. "The free upgrade offer will end on July 29th and we want to make sure you don’t miss out." After July 29th, Microsoft says you'll need to purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119 or get Windows 10 on a new machine.
“Get Windows 10” app will be removed from Windows 7/8.1 after July 29th upgrade offer ends

Could this be yet another way to get Windows 10?
Microsoft software update breaks Windows 7 on some Asus PCs
In technical terms, the problem occurred because Asus enabled a setting called Secure Boot, which protects the PC against boot loader attacks that can compromise a system before the OS loads. But when Microsoft released its update, Windows 7 did not support Secure Boot, hence the conflict.

On its support document, Microsoft took the opportunity to market Windows 10, telling people: "The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website: http://www.microsoft.com/windows.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

On Windows 10, Media Player works better than the VLC Player on some movies.
Playing MOV files from an Iphone, VLC created screens full of color instead of real images!
Some of the VLC Player video shows the crowd as a blob of colors:
Windows Media Player still works and was never removed in the conversion from W7 to W10 on ANY of my PC's.
I should also note that my Windows Phone missed every picture I tried to take of jumps! Too slow!
AND I have every missed jump permanently SAVED in the Cloud with NO DELETE in phone options!
And playing the video on my Windows Phone only worked UPSIDE DOWN!
Turn the phone over and it flips upside down the other way! RIDICULOUS! You can watch it laying flat...

Phone videos are kept in the Video folder listed in the long list of Apps you must SCROLL down to forever...

VideoLAN is the VLC Start folder, but after using Media Player it got weird, like I did not like it or something:
Reset preferences sounds paranoid to me...it worked great on the HD car camera videos. M$'s idea?

VLC keeps grabbing videos to play, but Media Player is still an option in Open With Right Click menu.
Only problem is that M$ no longer SUPPORTS Media Player!
No doubt we will soon have to PAY $5 a month from the One Drive Cloud they just robbed 30 G from...

Get Windows 10 for Free After July 29th, with a Little Prep Now
We know not everyone wants to upgrade to Windows 10 right now, and that’s fine. But one day, you’ll probably have to. And you don’t want to have to pay $119 for it. By upgrading a computer now and then rolling back to Windows 7 or 8, you’ll get to keep your original version of Windows, but “reserve” that free Windows 10 license for all your PCs.
Actually NOW seems like a good time to upgrade to Windows 10 now that updates only happen once a month!
There should no longer be problems with file ownership or security properties like many users had last year.
But you should give it a try now and if you go back, you can still upgrade later on for free!

AdBlock and AdBlock Plus are available for Microsoft Edge
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Microsoft rolls out a cumulative update KB3156421 for Windows 10 that might cause your PC to run 'abnormally slow'
However, over on Reddit, John Wink, Senior Program Manager Lead at Microsoft, posts about a potential problem to be aware of:

If you find that your PC is abnormally slow after installing the update, you may be seeing a problem that I’ve been trying to track down for a couple of weeks. Here’s something you can try to see if it alleviates the symptom. I’d love to hear the results of this test, and could really use your help in gathering additional information if indeed it rectifies the symptom for you. Please give this a shot and post your results to this thread. Thanks!

Steps to disable Cortana: Click in the Cortana search box to bring up Cortana

Click the Notebook

Click Settings

Move the slider under "Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more." to "Off".

While John Wink says elsewhere that it is "not a very wide-spread issue", it seems odd that Microsoft would push out an update with a known problem like this to all Windows users, even if there's a potential workaround available. Windows Insiders expect to encounter and report back on known issues, but regular Windows users don't. If you experience problems after installing the update, let us know in the comments below.
Needless to say, I decided to block the Update with WuShowHide...
The program search took a while... I just checked the slow update to see if the others will still install...

Now according to the WuShowHide program it is FIXED, whatever that means? Is it hidden or what?
The Update Settings page never changed update info even after the WuShowHide program was done.

Only time will tell as the downloading appears to be STUCK at 33% on the Malicious Software Tool:
After a half hour it changes to RETRY and searches for updates all over again!
I assume that these problems are due to the removal of the normal update from the items listed.

Not sure what was installed, but never saw KB3156421 downloaded! Looked in Advanced Settings:
Only the Malicious Software Removal Tool and Adobe Flash Player are listed so it worked as planned!
No reboot. I can always go back to WuShowHide program and UNHIDE that Update if necessary!
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Started up 64 bit Windows 10 desktop and was greeted with NOTHING! Rebooted with Administrator warning that stopped most other taskbar actions from doing anything! Went to M$ site and re-entered my M$ account password. No idea what else it wanted...

Start menu and Notifications bar would not work! Neither would Chrome or other taskbar actions. Just a warning tone! Rebooted!...
Settings would not return either...

On THIRD boot, got Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421) in Update Settings.
The SLOW KB3156421 update is ready to reboot...plus Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3152599).

MSERT (M$ Safety Scanner) is also ready, but I am running it already I think as first download was stopped from running by Windows...
Scanner found nothing so ready to reboot...the 64 bit machine runs faster than my laptop. Kinda enjoy that part...so far...

Normally the PC reboots, but this time it scheduled the updates after installing this:
Will restart it now even though it rescheduled for 3:30 AM tomorrow...

Got this new email about an Insider contest. As far as I know, I'm NOT an Insider, just a chronic complainer:
Enter the Windows Insider Continuum Competition 2016 LOL, now they are GIVING AWAY Lumia's?

Notifications has news about a NEW ALBUM they created for my door camera that I have not used in over a month:
The camera seems to see changes in sun light as activity, like most cameras do. So now I have thousands of door
pictures on my One Drive cloud they just stole 30 G from!

Windows 10 will stop sharing your Wi-Fi passwords soon
Microsoft is removing part of its controversial Wi-Fi Sense feature from Windows 10. "We have removed the Wi-Fi Sense feature that allows you to share Wi-Fi networks with your contacts and to be automatically connected to networks shared by your contacts," says Microsoft's Gabe Aul. "The cost of updating the code to keep this feature working combined with low usage and low demand made this not worth further investment."
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Hands-on with Windows 10's new Windows Ink
This summer, a spate of new features are headed to Windows 10 by way of the Anniversary Update, Microsoft’s next major revision to the OS. Chief among the additions is Windows Ink, an experience specifically designed for digital pen users.

The full Ink experience is still months away—longer, if you wait on the fruits of Microsoft’s partnership with Wacom, which will reportedly yield a special Ink pen by the holidays. But thanks to the recent, massive Windows 10 Build 14322 that Microsoft released to its Insider beta testers, we’ve had a chance to try out several aspects of Windows Ink, including Ink Workspace, Sketchpad, Sticky Notes, and more.
The great thing about a computer pen is that it really won't need any ink! Just a touch screen.

Microsoft says it will stop pestering users to 'Get Windows 10' in July
The company warned that it may take some time to disable the upgrade pop-ups on computers worldwide.

Many people disliked the company’s approach, but it appears Microsoft’s upgrade push has been relatively successful. Microsoft said on Thursday there were now 300 million active Windows 10 devices worldwide—a bump of 30 million from late April when Microsoft said there were 270 million active users.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

What’s New in Windows 10’s Anniversary Update, Coming This Summer
Cortana Becomes a Whole Lot Smarter Arguably the biggest update is Cortana. Microsoft continues to expand on what Cortana can do, clearly trying to make it the most powerful assistant in an increasingly growing pool of competition (Siri, Google Now, Alexa, and the whole gang). This time around, Cortana comes to the Windows 10 lock screen, so you can invoke her at any time. And, she can push stuff to and from your mobile device, including notifications and text messages. (And remember, since Cortana is available on Android too, that doesn’t mean you need a Windows Phone to take advantage.)

Windows 10 Interacts with Your Android Phone (or Windows Phone) Microsoft also announced that Cortana will now integrate with the Cortana application on your Android or Windows smartphone. You’ll just need to install the Cortana Android app and sign in with the same Microsoft account on both devices. iPhone users are out of luck, as iOS is too locked down for Microsoft to integrate with it as deeply. As of build 14328, this should be working between Windows 10 PCs and Windows Mobile 10 phones running the latest builds–Android users will have to wait.

More Desktop Apps and Games Come to the Windows Store Microsoft will soon release a tool that allows anyone to convert any desktop application on their computer to a sandboxed UWP application. The tool will watch the desktop application run and create a sandboxed application with the appropriate permissions. Developers can use this to convert their own apps for uploading to the Windows Store. You could use it to convert an old desktop application to a UWP application and sideload the application, installing it from outside the Store, if you wanted to.

Windows 10 Gets a Dark Theme (and More Theme Options) With the Anniversary Update, you can now choose between light and dark modes in Settings > Personalization > Colors. Its designed for Windows Store apps, but not every app will listen to this setting and obey it–some apps, especially those from third-party developers, control their own theme settings. This also means File Explorer will remain as blindingly white as ever.

Microsoft Edge Finally Supports Browser Extensions Edge uses Chrome-style extensions, and Microsoft will provide a tool that helps developers quickly convert Chrome extensions to Edge extensions. (Firefox is also moving to Chrome-style extensions, too.) These Edge extensions will eventually be available in the Windows Store, which is where you’ll install them. Extensions are currently available for the Reddit Enhancement Suite, Microsoft Translator, Pinterest, and OneNote. Popular extensions like LastPass and Adblock Plus are on the way.

Windows Hello Brings Fingerprint Authentication to Apps and Websites Fingerprint sensors have been a huge convenience on phones and tablets, and Windows currently supports it for logging into your laptop too via Windows Hello–provided it has the necessary hardware. But in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Windows Hello will support Windows apps and Microsoft Edge, so you can securely log into apps and web sites using your fingerprint as well–not just Windows itself.

Windows Ink Improves Digital Drawing and Annotation in Lots of Apps Touch screen laptops are more useful than they seem, and Microsoft is pushing that forward even more with Windows Ink: the ability to draw and annotate with a pen in all kinds of useful ways. For example, you can jot down notes in the Sticky Notes app, which on its own is mildly convenient. But Windows 10 is smart enough to recognize words like “tomorrow”, turn them into links that Cortana can use to set reminders or perform other tasks. This works with other words too, including places that Bing can point to on a map.

The Combined Skype Universal App is Back Microsoft has now changed its mind again and will discontinue those three separate Skype applications on the desktop. Instead, Microsoft will create a new universal Windows app version of Skype that will eventually replace the traditional desktop application when it has enough features. The Skype Preview application is now available.

The Start Menu Has Been Redesigned Microsoft has changed the way Windows 10’s Start menu works. The “All Apps” option is now gone–you’ll just see a full list of installed applications at the left side of your Start menu. Your most frequently used and recently added applications will appear at the top of this list. It’ll show the three most recently added applications instead of a single one, and you can expand this list to see more applications sorted by when you installed them.

Task View Gets Some Improvements You can now pin windows in the Task View interface, making them always appear on every virtual desktop instead of a single virtual desktop. Right-click a window in the Task View interface and select “Show this window on all desktops” to pin it. For example, you may want to pin a messaging or music application to all desktops for easy access.

Tablet Mode is More Like Windows 8

The Taskbar Gets Calendar Integration and More The Windows taskbar sees some important improvements, too. The taskbar clock is now integrated with your calendar, so you can click or tap the time and see a list of the calendar events you have scheduled for today. Tap an event–or tap the “+” button to add an event–and the Calendar app will open.

The Lock Screen is Improved, Too Microsoft heard user complaints, and your email address will no longer appear on your lock screen if you sign in with a Microsoft account. This helps preserve your privacy. You can re-enable this from Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Privacy, if you like, displaying your email address directly on your lock screen.

Battery Options Become More Powerful The Battery Saver screen under Settings > System was renamed Battery. Its detailed screen now offers easy per-application settings for controlling whether an application can run in the background. Aside from “Always allow in background” and “Never allow in background,” there’s a new “Managed by Windows” option. Windows will try to be smarter, temporarily turning off applications if they’re using a lot of resources in the background and you don’t appear to be using the applications.

The Action Center is More Convenient and Customizable It’s easier to get to the Action Center. The Action Center button is now located at the far right corner of the taskbar, making it easier to find. It’s no longer mixed in with the other system tray icons. Notifications are now grouped by app in the Action Center. They’ll take up less screen space, and you can see more notifications at once.
Microsoft is Still Auto-Scheduling Windows 10 Updates
There are options to cancel the scheduled upgrade or to change the upgrade date, so the system isn’t exactly forcing you to upgrade if you catch it soon enough. The problem is that some users won’t see it in time to stop it; they’ll wake up one morning to use their PC and find it is stuck attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 or hogging bandwidth while Windows 10 downloads.

If you want to switch to Windows 10, now may be the best time to do so, as the free upgrade officially expires July 29.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Microsoft needs to fix Skype
Microsoft had a real chance to make Skype into the single service you need for communications, but it has failed so far. The Windows Phone integration has been abysmal, and the service as a whole unreliable. 300 million people still actively use Skype each month, so nobody should underestimate its influence on our day-to-day communications. It's time Microsoft fixed Skype before those 300 million people discover something new and reliable.
Microsoft comes through with rollup of updates and fixes for Windows 7
The new Windows 7 convenience rollup is cumulative back to Service Pack 1, which Microsoft released in 2011. It doesn't include updates to IE 11 (which are released separately) or updates to .NET releases. But it does include core Windows fixes, security fixes and hot fixes. Update: The convenience rollup also is available for Windows 7's server counterpart, Windows Server 2008 R2.
Update: Here's are the direct download links for the convenience rollup (thanks @TeroAlhonen) for those FULL DOWNLOAD LINK not using IE: x86 version here and x64 version here.
It’s worth noting that this is a completely optional update. It won’t ever be offered through Windows Update meaning you’ll have to manually download and install it.
Internet Explorer ONLY Update Catalog

Clicking on the Windows 6.1 -KB3125574 (top left corner) downloaded file opens the standalone installer:

Then I found out that this installer SEARCHES FOREVER TOO!

So I decided to have a race to see which one worked better! Windows Update reported a lot of updates waiting:

Then the Standalone Installer got brilliant and asked if I wanted it to install KB 3125574? Sure, why not?
So now it is supposedly downloading somewhere...

SO IT FAILED TO INSTALL IT ANYHOW! That WAS ALL IT WAS ASKED TO DO!

Now I am attempting them with IE and Windows Update
Took two reboots as one update FAILED. Also installed 6 optional ones.

How to Slipstream the Convenience Rollup,the Last Windows 7 ISO You’ll Ever Need:
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

WIFI problems on laptop suddenly today! Just like a month ago! Comes and goes!

May be forced to UNHIDE the latest SLOW Update if it continues. How do they UNFIX these things?

Windows 10 tip: Mount (and unmount) any ISO file instantly
In Windows 7 and earlier, the only thing you could do with an ISO file was burn it to a DVD. For any other task, you needed third-party software. In Windows 10 (as with Windows 8.x), you can simply double-click an ISO file to mount it as a virtual DVD drive.

That virtual drive shows up in File Explorer with its own drive letter, and it acts just like a DVD. You can copy files from the virtual DVD to any other storage medium, for example. If the ISO file contains installation media you can run Setup directly, without the tedious step of extracting files.

One feature that isn't obvious right away is how to unmount a virtual DVD. Mac users will probably figure it out instantly, but for longtime Windows users here's the answer: Right-click the virtual DVD in File Explorer and then click Eject.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

OneCore to rule them all: How Windows Everywhere finally will happen!
The Windows 10 Anniversary update, due later this summer, represents a major landmark for Microsoft. As well as being a significant update for Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile on phones, the release is also coming to the Xbox One. For the first time, the Xbox One will be running essentially the same operating system as desktop Windows. Critically, it will also be able to run many of the same applications as desktop Windows.

In a lot of ways, this represents the realization of a vision that Microsoft has been promoting for more than 20 years: Windows Everywhere. Always important to Microsoft's ambitions for Windows as a platform, the Windows Everywhere ideal has a renewed significance with Windows 10 and CEO Satya Nadella's promise that Windows 10 will have one billion users within the first three years of its availability. The purpose of that promise is to send a message to developers that Windows is a big platform, a platform that they should still think about and create software for.
Hardware requirements for game streaming
Applies to Windows 10

Here’s what you’ll need to stream a game from your Xbox One to your PC.

Processor: At least 1.5 GHz

RAM: At least 4 GB

Video card: Needs to support hardware H.264 video decoding

Network: A wired Ethernet connection works best for game streaming

For a wireless connection: An 802.11 N or newer wireless adapter

Other: An Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Now we can watch Apps upgrade off our machines?

Facebook App updated and no longer runs on W10! Now needs Direct3D 9.3
And more Facebook FUN below!
Facebook's 'Malware Checkpoint' prevents sign in

Twitter is next as it has FAILED to update EVERY DAY for over a week!

Aw Gosh answer is to GO BACK TO WINDOWS 7! Because their new W7 SP2 rollup works so well...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... fc74032c6f

Windows hardware specs going up for the first time since 2009
Windows Vista was a shock to many Windows users, as its hardware requirements represented a steep upgrade over those required to run Windows XP: most 32-bit versions required a 1GHz processor, 1GB RAM, DirectX 9 graphics, and 40 GB of mass storage with 15GB free. But those 2006-era requirements looked much less steep once Windows 7 rolled out in 2009: it required almost the same system specs, but now 16GB of available disk space instead of 15. Windows 8 again stuck with the same specs and, at its release, so did Windows 10.

But the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (referred to in documentation as version 1607, so it ought to ship in July) changes that, with the first meaningful change in the Windows system requirements in almost a decade. The RAM requirement is going up, with 2GB the new floor for 32-bit installations. This happens to bring the system in line with the 64-bit requirements, which has called for 2GB since Windows 7.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Cross-Platform Mobile with Xamarin
Xamarin and Microsoft empower .NET developers to become native iOS, Android, and Windows mobile app developers overnight. Apps built with Xamarin deliver truly native user experiences, 100% native API access, and native performance. Leverage your existing C# skills and .NET libraries to share code across all platforms and create a shared mobile app backend. Then build a beautiful user interface utilizing the iOS and Android designers right from inside of your favorite IDE, Visual Studio. During this session we will cover how Xamarin and Microsoft enable you to own the full development lifecycle end-to-end. From education, development, test, deployment, and monitoring we have something to help make it fast, easy, and fun to make great mobile apps.

For more information, check out this course on Microsoft Virtual Academy:
Visual Studio
Full screen snap shots of hour long demo:
Hope that is not the price of the app!

What Microsoft course could exist without Hello World?

Visual Studio Dev Essentials (Free tools, cloud services, and training)
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'
Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the cross in the top-right hand corner of the pop-up box now agrees to a scheduled upgrade rather than rejecting it.

This has caused confusion as clicking the cross typically closes a pop-up notification.

The upgrade could still be cancelled when the scheduled time for it to begin appeared, Microsoft said.

The change occurred because the update is now labelled "recommended" and many people have their PCs configured to accept recommended updates for security reasons.

This means dismissing the box does not dismiss the update.

Brad Chacos, senior editor at the PC World website, described it as a "nasty trick".
"Deploying these dirty tricks only frustrates long-time Windows users who have very valid reasons to stick with operating systems they already know and love," he wrote.
Like Windows 10 apps not upgrading on older PC's?

Real evidence of forced Windows 10 upgrades
On May 12, Microsoft changed its policy on Win10 upgrades. The company now picks a date for your machine's migration to the new OS. Once that date is set, all users can seemingly do is wait for the upgrade to finish and then decide whether to roll back to Win7 or Win8.1.

On some Win10-upgrade prompts, Microsoft has provided an opt-out path. But the option is a link that could easily be missed if you're not looking for it.

Moreover, on one of my systems, there was no option to cancel the upgrade; the installation process started without my explicit approval, and at this time I'm simply waiting for the system to reboot. I'll see if, somewhere along the way, I'm asked to accept the official Win10 EULA — and what happens if I decline it.
Coping with Win7's broken updating system
In software years, Windows 7 is old — and in patching years, it's ancient. As numerous articles have noted, installing the OS from scratch and getting it fully up to date is a lesson in patience and fortitude. It can take hours or even days to get Win7 back to fully patched.

Even if you use the rollup update discussed in the May 19 Field Notes column, the process of getting Win7 current feels broken; it still takes a tremendous amount of time to repeatedly scan for missed updates and reboot the PC.

It's reminiscent of the Windows XP updating issues we suffered with, where a svchost process would suck up all resources as it scanned for updates.

Mostly, the problem comes down to patch supercedence.

There have been several Windows Update Client patches that should have helped solve the slow update scans. KB 3102810 (Nov. 3, 2015) was followed by March's KB 3138612. Ensure that you have both installed; and check out a Dalai site that lists other patches that can help improve update-scanning speed.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Microsoft U-turn on 'nasty trick' pop-up
Microsoft told the BBC it had modified the pop-up two weeks ago as a result of criticism: "We've added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade.

"If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close the notifications with no further action needed."

Senior editor at PC World magazine Brad Chacos, who describes himself as a fan of the Windows 10 operating system, had previously described the use of the cross to mean people had agreed to the upgrade as "a nasty trick".
He said: "I don't think that adding more pestering pop-ups improves the situation. At the very least they should add a large, obvious 'No, I don't want this' button."

Mr Chacos has been a vocal critic of what he described as the "heavy-handed tactics that Microsoft's been using to force people into the upgrade".

Previously, users had to press the cross to cancel the suggested upgrade, he pointed out, so the latest move is counter-intuitive - "akin to swapping out the brake and the accelerator in your car".
How to go back to Windows 7 or 8 after an unwanted Windows 10 upgrade
You’re allowed to roll back to your previous Windows version for 30 days after upgrading to Windows 10. Simply open the Start menu and head to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. If you’re eligible to downgrade, you’ll see an option that says “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1,” depending on which operating system you upgraded from. Simply click the Get started button and go along for the ride.

Once you’ve returned to your previous version of Windows, you need to tinker with it to perfect your setup once again. In particular, you may need to reinstall some programs, and don’t forget to use your Windows 7 password rather than your Windows 10 password if you created a Microsoft Account for the new operating system during the set-up process.
Stop it from EVER UPGRADING to Windows 10 again!
GWX Control Panel was the first anti-Windows 10 pop-up tool on the block, and it works marvelously, though its complicated user interface is full of granular options and may turn off some people. Never10 by noted security researcher Steve Gibson performs the same basic task in a much simpler way. Either program does the trick.

GWX Control Panel and Never10 will also prevent your computer from being upgraded to Windows 10 if it hasn’t yet. Installing one of those is a much better option than disabling Windows Updates completely to avoid Microsoft’s pestering, as disabling patches can leave you vulnerable to new security flaws.
Microsoft is banning your stupidly easy-to-guess passwords
The team calls it “dynamically banned,” which means that if your account uses a password that appears in the most-used/stolen password list, Microsoft will force you to create a more complex one instead. This will apply to Microsoft Account and Azure AD services.
How to get Windows 7's Start menu in Windows 10
You can get a very close facsimile of earlier Windows Start menus with Classic Shell. The program is free, but the website encourages donations—a nice gesture if you appreciate the product.

The first time you click the Start button after installing Classic Shell, you don’t get any menu. Instead, you’ll get the program’s Settings dialog box.If you close that dialog box and click Start again, you’ll get Classic Shell’s Windows 7-like default Start menu.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Windows 10 books big growth spurt
However, there are two most-probable explanations for the latest week-over-week gains.

First, consumers may have reacted to Microsoft's May 5 notice that it will end the free upgrade offer on July 29. By restating the deadline, Microsoft may have prompted large numbers of laggards to grab Windows 10 while the grabbing was gratis.

Second, Microsoft has changed how users interact with a notification that their Windows 10 upgrade, already downloaded to their machine, has been scheduled for execution. Rather than interpret the clicking of the red "X" in the upper-right corner of the pop-up window as canceling the slated upgrade, Microsoft has taken to assuming that the action actually approves the upgrade.
Here is the XP to W10 laptop's latest reliability report:
After 10 days of failed updates, Twitter finally updated and still runs! Note Facebook failure! It does not!
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Today my laptop's Control Panel link in Right click Start Menu quit working!
Took 5 or 6 clicks on the shortcut to get it to open the Control Panel. Coincidentally I received this email:
Win10 Start/taskbar right-click–menu problems
"I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10. I love the new OS for the most part, especially after someone at your site helped me with a Fast-Start problem. However, some Win10 features don't seem to be working.
"After reading a recent article about right-clicking the Start icon, I realized I was missing something.

"Of the 18 or so choices that typically appear when you right-click Start, only Run and Search work for me.

"An online technician said that some of my programs were causing conflicts with Windows commands. After I allowed him to remotely access my system, he started deleting programs.

"About two hours and three reboots later, he'd deleted 21 programs. He triggered another reboot but then never came back online. I'm not sure what all he did, but Start's right-click context menu still won't work! Talk about frustration.

"I did a complete system restore using a backup I'd fortunately saved the night before, but the right-click/Start menu functionality still is missing.

"Obviously something is not right, but I have no idea what it is. Help!"

Changes to Win10's Start menu and taskbar can result in broken context menus, if the menus contain third-party add-ons. Here are some solutions.

The failures appear to be caused by conflicts with third-party software that adds itself to Windows' default context menus. These incompatibilities can make the menus malfunction or not work at all.

The volume of online posts about this issue also appears to be growing, probably due to Microsoft's new, fast-paced release of interim Win10 updates. In effect, Win10 is now a moving target for third-party developers, some of whom are having trouble keeping up. As a result, if and when Microsoft slipstreams a tweak to Win10's internals, non-Microsoft software that works fine one day might have conflicts the next.
The article suggests the following solutions (Windows Secrets sent me paid content not available free online):
Option 1: The easiest fix is to uninstall third-party software that's conflicting with Windows (the approach the online tech tried on Harris' PC).
Start by identifying third-party software that has added items to the right-click context menus — 7-Zip and Dropbox, for example. Be sure to right-click various targets: Start, taskbar icons, desktop icons, the drives and folders in File Explorer, and so on. If you have trouble identifying a particular context-menu add-in/add-on, use the tools described below in Option 2.

Option 2: Instead of taking the drastic step of completely uninstalling software, you can try to directly disable or remove the third-party, context-menu add-ons themselves.

If you don't know what software has altered Windows' menus, or if the software you identified has no built-in option to disable its menu add-ons, you can use a specialized tool such as CCleaner (free/paid; site) to clean up the menus.

In CCleaner, click Tools and Startup, then click the Context Menu tab (see Figure 1) in the Startup list to see what third-party software has appended itself to Windows' default menus. Select one or more listed items and use the offered options for disabling or deleting those items.
I chose the second option to see how it might help by DISABLING some seldom used or duplicate listings:
There were many duplicates so I disabled the second or most likely NEWER entry!

I also checked the Scheduled items listed in the Startup folder and found some OLD PC tuneup applications:

Scrolling to the right I found some OLD FRIENDS I thought I had REMOVED previously like ParetoLogic:
I also found a command line using PCALUA to do something so I looked that up.
pcalua.exe is the Program Compatibility Assistant. "The Program Compatibility Assistant is an automatic feature ofWindows that runs when it detects an older program has a compatibility problem."
What does PCALUA.EXE do?
Option 3. If the simpler options don't work (and they didn't for me), the almost-certain way to restore proper context-menus operation is to use Win10's built-in Reset/Keep my files option. In fact, that's how Fred Langa got his system working properly again.

After making a full system backup, click Start/Settings/Update & security/Recovery. Next, click the Get started button under "Reset this PC" and then choose Keep my files. This'll reinstall Win10 but keep your user files intact. It also removes third-party desktop apps and any drivers you installed, returning the system to its default settings. This almost always restores normal context-menu operation.

The Reset/Keep my files option places a list of all removed apps on your desktop; you'll also get links to the websites of any apps Windows knows about. Using these links can greatly speed and simplify your reinstallation of the removed apps, and it also helps ensure that you have the latest-available versions. Any listed apps that don't include links must be restored the way you originally installed them.
I do NOT recommend option 3 as it removes most of your programs!

Users abandon sinking Microsoft browser ship at record clip
In the last six months alone, IE -- a bucket into which Net Applications also throws in Windows 10's Edge -- has lost 11.4 percentage points, an unprecedented decline for any browser at any point in the last 11 years.

As recently as November 2015, IE accounted for more than half of the global browser user share.

At the same time, Google's Chrome reaped what Microsoft sowed, as the relative upstart -- Chrome debuted eight years ago -- added 3.9 percentage points to its share to close out May with 45.6%, within sniffing distance of the majority milestone.

Failing a turn-around, Firefox's user share will slide to just 5% in little more than a year, slumping to the same level now held by Apple's Mac-only Safari.

The introduction of Windows 10 was another contributor to IE's fall, as the new operating system demoted IE to a legacy role and promoted Edge as the replacement. But Windows 10 users, who now make up nearly 20% of all PC owners, have been hesitant, increasingly so, to adopt Edge: In May, fewer than three in every 10 Windows 10 users chose Edge. That number has been slowly declining -- it was two out of three in October -- since Windows 10's launch last year.
Edge also recently took over opening PDF files on my W10 laptop off of PDF Xchange Viewer!
Chrome also has a PDF viewer that now only works with web pages...

SQL Server 2016 is generally available today (have credit card ready)
SQL Server 2016 has ground-breaking performance optimizations and efficiencies, leading to new levels of performance and scale. Modern servers can support a large number of cores with sophisticated vector instructions, can hold terabytes of memory, and provide very high I/O bandwidth with local flash storage. Optimizing for the concurrency and parallelism inherent within such servers can provide dramatic speedups at scale, and often outperform large distributed databases.
No word on compatibility with older versions...
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

Petition condemns Windows 10 upgrade practices, asks EFF to investigate
A petition launched Friday asks the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) to investigate Microsoft's aggressive moves to convince and cajole users into upgrading to Windows 10.

The request was launched on Change.org, a popular online petition website, and by early Monday had garnered more than 470 signatures.

"Microsoft's practices with their newest operating system, named Windows 10, has been ignorantly unethical at best and malicious at worst," wrote the petition organizer, Todd Kleinpaste, who listed media accounts of the company's upgrade strategy. "Reports everywhere state that people are being tricked or forced into upgrading to Windows 10 from their current, preferred version of Windows."
Will you develop apps for Windows Phone? (survey)

If so, you better hurry before they cancel it!