Submissions Needed for QB Express #9

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Well, as far as I can tell, SpaceMerc is basically a clone of a thousand space shooters that have come before it. I haven't seen anything new in it, and it's not a new twist on this tired genre... it's just the same cliche gameplay we've all played for years.

And not only that, it's also a genre that has been done in QB / FB a bajillion times.

Try to come up with some new concept that will make the game new and interesting -- even if your "new" concept is stolen from a game of a different genre. The most successful games are those that mix many different genres. Take Grand Theft Auto, for example -- it's part action, adventure, shooter, RPG, racing game and more. There's something for everybody in this game. Even if you hate racing games or RPGs, chances are the other aspects of this game will hold your attention. Nobody really likes strict genre games anymore.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

Well, SpaceMerc wasn't intended to be original, but to improve my coding skills. I haven't been around long enough to know most of the games people made in FB/QB.

Hey but somethings on its way, I just started and finished a Tic Tac Toe game last night w/mouse support.

Now before to jump to conclusions.....I'm going to make an AI for it. It will be a bot that learns from past games to get better to beat you. :D

Should only take a couple hours. But not today. :)
"But...It was so beutifully done"
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Well i think Pete made a very good point here, and I'm glad you're not offended. I can see from your game that you are talented, there's no doubt about that. But like Pete said, mix and matching parts of other game genres into your game would give it that originality he's looking for. Perhaps a game with a bigger picture, where shooting the enemy is but part of what you need to do to accomplish a mission for example...in a list of missions to reach a higher goal...perhaps...:-)....whatever you want :-)....lol.

That's the problem today....People are so busy (even the big gaming companies) to make something that looks good that more than often, it's just too many eye candy (no mater how good they are) and not enough game play, challenge, story, etc etc.....we have 5 senses (some will argue they have 6 lol) but we're only using one today....no brain activity anymore when you play a game lol..
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Well, Mystik did (once again) took words out of my mouth :lol:

Mystik. "no brain activity anymore when you play a game lol.."

Thats true as sad is it. Games even looks great or are great.
After hours of playing those "awesome 3D graphic and huge game world" stuff, i miss games where is something to play. But i guess, lifelines of games are these days so short that idea of game is not so big thing than great 3D graphics.

Another thing Mystik did mention was busy. I agree, there is such a thing as "dead line" and you got to finish that game before it. I gave dead line for my own game, now i need to move it because my personal life were pretty messy for a while, well, i just do it and no one suffers but in companyes...that wont work.

Mystik. "we have 5 senses (some will argue they have 6 lol) "

Ok, after multiple situations we have been in, i guess we have those 6 :lol:
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Four days left!

The deadline for this issue is Friday, April 15th!
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:roll: Eh,.. you got my comic??? You never emailed me back or nothing like normal,.... :wink: .. or I don't think...... hmm......
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Levi
Veteran

Post by Levi »

Darn it doesn't look like I'll get the tutorial in on time. Whether or not it's there on friday will ultimatly be the determinant. But chances are, no. Sorry. Maybe next month.
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Rattrapmax6 wrote::roll: Eh,.. you got my comic??? You never emailed me back or nothing like normal,.... :wink: .. or I don't think...... hmm......
Yeah, I got your comic.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

TWO DAYS LEFT!!
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Pete, the PM..

I cant do much without a reply from you...
I have left this dump.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Deadline Extended Until April 22nd!

Hey everyone. The number of submissions this month were a lot fewer than expected, and I am also extremely busy this weekend, so I have opted to extend the deadline for QB Express #9 for one week.

That means if you were planning on writing an article but ran out of time, you now have the time to do it! And people that said they were going to send in articles: you now have another seven days to get stuff together.

And as always, I'm still looking for an original QB / FB game to feature in this month's GALLERY. So if you've got something, let me know.

And one last thing: make sure you check out the games submitted for Nekrophidius's Space Invaders challenge, which will be featured in QB Express. After you've tried the games, please vote in the poll so we can choose a winner! The more votes, the merrier! You can check it out at the official Space Invaders Competition thread! (Voting should begin shortly).
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Pete wrote:
Rattrapmax6 wrote::roll: Eh,.. you got my comic??? You never emailed me back or nothing like normal,.... :wink: .. or I don't think...... hmm......
Yeah, I got your comic.
:lol: You excitement is killing me,. :wink: just kidding,....
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

lol :lol:
"But...It was so beutifully done"
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Sorry about the hold up, guys.

I've got two weeks left in college this semester, and I'm absolutely swamped with work.

I guarantee that I'll get QBE #9 out by the 31st of April, and I'll try to get it out before then -- but I can't promise anything.

Meanwhile, feel free to keep on sending in submissions! The more, the merrier!
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

NO problem, I'll just take my pain killers, wellabutrin, some alcohol (i'm over 21 so it's kewl lol)....and a couple other things till then...LOLOL.

There's only 24 hours in a day Pete...so don't try to use winzip to stack in more, it won't work...been there done that, to no avail....lol

We'll wait, patiently :-)

MystikShadows

Post by Guest »

Pete wrote:I've got two weeks left in college this semester, and I'm absolutely swamped with work.
No problems Pete, irl first 8)
I guess most peoples are busy at this time of year.
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Cookies just hates me... :lol:
Moochthemonkey

Post by Moochthemonkey »

I'm currently in the development of an rpg..I'll try to finish a bit before the release date. Would you like screens and a preview Pete?

I'm trying to think of an idea for a tutorial...I was planning something along the lines of Sound/Music but cant get a grasp on anything...
8)
Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

Pete wrote:I guarantee that I'll get QBE #9 out by the 31st of April
April only has 30 days :D So you've got one day...
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

brilliant observation there kylemc ;-) lol

MystikShadows