Quick questions

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Levi
Veteran

Quick questions

Post by Levi »

Now I've been trying to find time to get into FreeBasic. I haven't had much success, but since I finally graduated from college all I have is time on my hands. So I figured now would be the best time.

Now though it's extremely like Qbasic I would like to know a lot more about the language itself. Are there any real good tutorials on this subject that I could check out?

Also, I'm not sure but I think I noticed the use of some C++ syntax. Is this just me or is that really what I saw? And if so does the creation of a Windows GUI rely upon using C++ to make it? Or are there basic commands in FreeBasic to handle this for me? IF I have to use C++ could I create a DLL of basic classes for forms and controls that would handle all of the difficult coding for me and use that with FreeBasic?

Does FreeBasic handle Classes on it's own?

Just a few questions like this I would like answered if possible. Though I only really expect the tutorials question to be answered.
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Uhh... I can answer some of those.

And by some I mean NONE!!!
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

If only I'd gotten here sooner.....he says....sheesh....LOL

Levi, the reason why FreeBasic has some C like syntax depending on what you're coding is because FreeBasic although as could as can be to QB syntax must also remain...shall we say...C++ compliant for libraries and runtime (sources for the runtime are in C :-).

As of today FreeBasic doesn't handle classes on it's own...however it is a planned feature...once done, FreeBasic Objects should be quite similar to C++'s OOP Paradigm.

Hope this helps
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Levi
Veteran

Post by Levi »

Cool. I remember there being a site with tutorials on it. Could you point me in that direction?
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

*Hides in corner with his laptop... but whats that? His dad took his WLAN card to Colarado Springs to some sort of a programmers convention! WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!!* (true story)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Windows GUI stuff can be done in any Windows compiler that supports API calls. Look at a couple of the QB Express issues for some starter tutorials written by me regarding raw API programming of the GUI. I had planned to write a third but I couldn't think of what to write, plus I don't code FB anymore anyways...