Escaped from the FreeBasic country!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Spotted Cheetah

Escaped from the FreeBasic country!

Post by Spotted Cheetah »

Hello everyone around here, probably you know me already... The same Spotted Cheetah as everywhere else :)

Now as i had seen i got three and a half star for my web site at the Links section (Wow! Although i just used HTML!) i thought it good to finally end up here...

Not to mention that i got certainly highly awfully upset about what goes on with FreeBasic. I want to program real retro working on a 2.86, i want to tamper with the hardware, and i run everywhere in "no, no, no", and yet "no" again, and use FreeBasic instead of QB. AARRGGHHH! Got enough of that. If i want 32Bit i grab my Dev - C++, not Basic. If i want DOS and retro i switch back to the good old blue screen. But i not want to mess with days of code - conversion because i try to program in FreeBasic and C(++) the same time!

Just introduced myself for who did not knew... So at one side i am a real old retro programmer "madly in love" with the blue screen of QB and the other side a modern programmer who not really want to mix this two. Of course if anyone is interested my true love are Cheetahs - just to mention, you might have guessed from my user name.
After 60 million years a civilization will search for a meteorite destroying most of the living creatures around this age...

There must be a better future for the Cheetah

Running Cheetah is on again to work for it. http://rcs.fateback.com
Deleter
Veteran

Post by Deleter »

just to warn you, there are FB crusaders here as well...and this place isn't quite as active as qbn, tbn, fbtk, etc...Though people here are nice about it. lol
ShadowWolf
Veteran

Post by ShadowWolf »

bla bla bal retro if i wanted 32bit i would use dev bla bla bla.
the argument is flawed basic is a language it not restricted like any programing lang to some platform.

people use basic because it's basic not because one version of basic was for 16bit system.

also 16bit isn't retro go start programing for a old 6502 and i will consider that retro.
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Retro means different for different peoples. For me, retro is like a old msx-basic, commodore64...etc.

And i also love that bluescreen 8)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Use whatever you want; you don't have to do anything. The reason a lot of people promote FB is because it's a major improvement over clunky old QB. Now if you want to talk retro...I code in C and assembly for the hu6280 (6502-based CPU), now that's retro. :)
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

I'd expect nothing else from an old timer like you ;-). LOL
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

You can still make retro looking things with FB??
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Yeah... I remember spending hours over hours exactly 2 years ago learning QB on a old 133 mhz dell laptop... hmm... since my old one is broken, Ill fix that one, but anyway...

That blue screen was awsome... I still remember my first program, I was soooo proud... just a simple:

Code: Select all

INPUT "What is your name", Name$
PRINT "Hello, "; Name$
I made my whole family run it... and my mom was is the middle of making pasta sauce... ouch, that didn't help my laptop. So stay there, stay with ye olde english or move on 2 slang, yo!

And yes, that really was my first program... I wish I would have saved it...
And nope, no "Hello world!" for me.
matt2jones
Veteran

Post by matt2jones »

heh, that reminds me of my first programming. I was afraid to use the PRINT command, cause we were low on paper, so all text output was done through input statements. and I couldn't handle strings, so it was all

thestart:
INPUT "HELLO THIS IS A PROGRAM"; A%
INPUT "I don't know what will happen if I re-use a variable"; B%
input "Where do you want to go";C%

if C% = 1 then system
if C% = 2 then goto thestart

I for some reason I never (even in the beginning) used END to exit, allways SYSTEM...

matt
Do not mistake Apathy for feeling Content.

http://www.disjointed.cjb.net - Short Storys
http://matt2jones.deviantart.com - Random Art
http://www.freewebs.com/matt2jones - WebComic
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Whoa! Thats pretty good... and well, stupid too, but hey: weren't they all?
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

matt2jones wrote:heh, that reminds me of my first programming. I was afraid to use the PRINT command, cause we were low on paper, ...
:lol: I remember thinking that too, but we had paper and I tryed it only to find it printed to the screen... lol.. And, the tutorial I was reading, I thought I had to do this to Begin a code:

'----------- Begin Program ------------
And later this to end:

'---------- End Program --------------
I later forgot to put it only to find it really did nothing... I fell dumb thinking back about it.., but it was the first few times,... :oops: :lol:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

Post by Guest »

My first one was "Kicsi Kocsi" (Little Car)... Well, not really... But as i had no Network acces, nor any book, i started QB on my own. As i can remember my first ever made program was a number - guessing game (A random number for example between 1 and 100 and guess it basid on the hints "too large" or "too small". Of course that time in Hungarian).

For me Basic is for retro as i said. I use C for 32bit stuff and i do not want to screw up with code conversion (at least now) so i only use C for 32bit. I like old 16bit machines with all of their restictions and usual hardware so i like QB. FreeBasic not exists for me: if i want some nasty "Exception raised at..." C is there (Sadly i could not end up in a blue screen of death yet by just 32bit programming).
Spotted Cheetah - nologin

Post by Spotted Cheetah - nologin »

That above was me... The board is buggy not letting me logging in (I made a topic here about it)
Dr_D
Veteran

Post by Dr_D »

Spotted Cheetah - nologin wrote:That above was me... The board is buggy not letting me logging in (I made a topic here about it)
Maybe it was programmed for a 286?

j/k

:lol:
The Dr. is INsane!!!