QB Express #17 Needs Submissions!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Z!re wrote:
MystikShadows wrote:What kidn of math would you like?
The advanced kind.. :P
As an example.. an explanation of the "3D math"..
Things like that..
Okay, I've been working on one right now, for Express 18. It includes basic trigonometry, and then goes through everything that Rel's tutorials talk about... except in a more mathematical and explanatory way. (Is explanatory a word?) Currently I'm at the Cross Product (vectors section) and it's been taking a lot out of me, heh. Right now, without pictures, it's about 30k. I still have to do alternate polar coordinate systems and matrix math. I'm hoping to also do quaternions. I'm guessing that there will be around 40 pictures.

BTW, out of curiosity, do you have experience with 3D, Z!re?
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

The Awakened wrote:BTW, out of curiosity, do you have experience with 3D, Z!re?
Only "HAW"* 3D :P

* Half Assed Way, of copying the 3D math formulaes and blatantly using them without understanding them :P
I have left this dump.
matt2jones
Veteran

Post by matt2jones »

Man, that tutorial was my BIBLE for a few years...
Do not mistake Apathy for feeling Content.

http://www.disjointed.cjb.net - Short Storys
http://matt2jones.deviantart.com - Random Art
http://www.freewebs.com/matt2jones - WebComic
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

The Awakened: suggestion...don't use a lot of dumbass buzzwords, that only confuses people. Such things are best taught at the layman level, and if you have to use the dumbass buzzwords, at least explain what they mean. :D
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Hehe... I remember trying to learn Vic's HAW.

But I just cannot use something if I do not understand it... even using SINE and COSINE without knowing why it works bugs me...
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Nekrophidius wrote:The Awakened: suggestion...don't use a lot of dumbass buzzwords, that only confuses people. Such things are best taught at the layman level, and if you have to use the dumbass buzzwords, at least explain what they mean. :D
Buzzwords such as...? :D

This isn't a full 3D engine tutorial. This only explains the math and the occasional code sample, with a little "this can be used for..." The reader needs algebra skills to see how the formulas are derived and that's it. I'm trying to make it as simple as possible for people to pick this stuff up.

I agree with you Nek, I'm not going to throw ANY term at anyone without explaining it in this tutorial. :D I find that's the problem with most 3D tutorials, whoever's writing them makes some oversights in how they're explaining the material, and before you know it, the reader's got 20 things that don't make sense to them. Even if there's a few things that are slightly confusing, it can really throw the reader off.

This tutorial is not being written in a half-assed way. Everything I type gets a second look, to make sure it can't be written in a better way. Even so, as the tutorial comes along, I find that I'm going to have to re-evaluate a LOT of the stuff I've written. Hopefully, it'll go through at least 2 revisons.

Anyway, for now, here's a list of the sections that will be in the tutorial:

1. The Cartesian Coordinate System
2. Perspective Projection
3. Linear Equations
4. Pythagorean Theorem
5. Pi, Degrees, and Radians
6. Sine, Cosine, and Tangent
7. The Unit Circle and the Polar Coordinate System
8. Deriving a Rotation Formula
9. Blurb on Polygons
10. Introduction to Vectors
11. Operations on Vectors
12. Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinate Systems
13. Matrices

I just finished Operations on Vectors last night, and I'm working on the Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinate Systems section. Sections 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, and 10 need quite a bit of revision, and I might even put an Intro to Functions section before Linear Equations. We'll see. :)
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Zim
Veteran

3-D Tutorial

Post by Zim »

My son has an interest in learning about vectors, matrices, projections, and such for BASIC game programming. This looks like the tutorial for him!
--- Zim ---
--- Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana ---
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

The Awakened wrote:
Nekrophidius wrote:The Awakened: suggestion...don't use a lot of dumbass buzzwords, that only confuses people. Such things are best taught at the layman level, and if you have to use the dumbass buzzwords, at least explain what they mean. :D
Buzzwords such as...? :D

This isn't a full 3D engine tutorial. This only explains the math and the occasional code sample, with a little "this can be used for..." The reader needs algebra skills to see how the formulas are derived and that's it. I'm trying to make it as simple as possible for people to pick this stuff up.

I agree with you Nek, I'm not going to throw ANY term at anyone without explaining it in this tutorial. :D I find that's the problem with most 3D tutorials, whoever's writing them makes some oversights in how they're explaining the material, and before you know it, the reader's got 20 things that don't make sense to them. Even if there's a few things that are slightly confusing, it can really throw the reader off.

This tutorial is not being written in a half-assed way. Everything I type gets a second look, to make sure it can't be written in a better way. Even so, as the tutorial comes along, I find that I'm going to have to re-evaluate a LOT of the stuff I've written. Hopefully, it'll go through at least 2 revisons.

Anyway, for now, here's a list of the sections that will be in the tutorial:

1. The Cartesian Coordinate System
2. Perspective Projection
3. Linear Equations
4. Pythagorean Theorem
5. Pi, Degrees, and Radians
6. Sine, Cosine, and Tangent
7. The Unit Circle and the Polar Coordinate System
8. Deriving a Rotation Formula
9. Blurb on Polygons
10. Introduction to Vectors
11. Operations on Vectors
12. Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinate Systems
13. Matrices

I just finished Operations on Vectors last night, and I'm working on the Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinate Systems section. Sections 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, and 10 need quite a bit of revision, and I might even put an Intro to Functions section before Linear Equations. We'll see. :)

Wow, now there's something I can't wait to read...:-)...Wish it could go in this coming QBE...but I guess I'll just wait if it doesn't unless you're wiling to email it to me ;-) hehee..
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Mystik: For one, I don't want to bog Pete down with any more submissions. After all, right now it's a 32.5k document... it takes a while to for one to format that. :D Not to mention the pictures. I'm guessing that there will be more like 30 individual pictures.

And I'll probably take right up until the deadline date of this month to submit this tut.
Xerol
Veteran

Post by Xerol »

Concentrate on the first few parts and release it across two or three issues, then. Multiissue tutorials are nothing new, and the format does work.
If you need music composed in MP3, WAV, or MIDI format, please contact me via email.

Xerol's Music - Updated Regularly!
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Make it in Microsoft word or Open Office.

Enter your pictures.

Save it in html.

Then, he will only have to do code and picture stuff.
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Xerol: I've already got most of the tutorial done in rough draft. Right now I'm just revising the stuff I already have, and making pictures.

Nathan: Thanks, I'll try that. :D