are you prepared for emergencies with a kit?

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

EDIT: PANIC!
I have left this dump.
moneo
Veteran

Re: are you prepared for emergencies with a kit?

Post by moneo »

sid6.7 wrote: "are you prepared for emergencies with a kit?"
I've been following this thread for a week now. Basically, Sid, you have a good idea, and some of your suggestions, and those by others, are good.

I would just like to clarify that it's impossible to be prepared for every kind of disaster or mishap situation. If you live in an area subject to frequent tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, avalanches, forest fires, etc., then stock your emergency kit accordingly, and make a survival plan to fit your situation.

Being ready for anything can drive you crazy. Like if every time you go out with your car you load up with snow chains, an extra car battery, an extra gas can, spare parts for the car, like radiator hoses, a manual tire pump, a winch, sand bags, flares, guns and ammo, a complete tool box, an extra jack, an extra spare tire, food and water for 3 days, blankets, boots, a chain saw, shovels, etc., etc. Unless you live in a remote wilderness area, most of this "extra readiness" stuff is not necessary and somewhat ridiculous.

So, I think that all of us have to be prepared for the dangers that are most probable where we live, not every danger we can think of.

An extra point about emergency kits, if no one mentioned it, is that you need to refresh and test the kit every so often. For example, a fire extinguisher is useless after a year or so. Food and water go bad, and batteries die out.

Someone mentioned common sense. That's important.

Anyway, thanks for your ideas.

Regards..... Moneo
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Finally. A sensible, non-flaming post.

*Nathan1993 toasts to Moneo's post*
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Nathan1993 wrote:Finally. A sensible, non-flaming post.

*Nathan1993 toasts to Moneo's post*
Thanks, Nathan, I appreciate your kind words.

Regards.

Pritchard
Coder

Post by Pritchard »

Yum. Pizza.

"OMFG lik ur post was *REALLY* helpful!!! . . . Not"

For me some pairs of socks, coal, and a little bit of bleach or smth should be enough to keep my water almost drinkable out in the wild for a while :D
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Avoid getting thirsty, fill your freeze with beer 8)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

lurah wrote:Avoid getting thirsty, fill your freeze with beer 8)
The cans will explode due to the carbonation. Happed to me a ton of times.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

here is another example of how quickly
society crumbles without water or electricity
after just 2 days....

http://tinyurl.com/mynbm

ya never know aye? maybe coming to your neighborhood
soon? sure wouldnt hurt to prepare....
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

sid6.7 wrote:here is another example of how quickly
society crumbles without water or electricity
after just 2 days....

http://tinyurl.com/mynbm

ya never know aye? maybe coming to your neighborhood
soon? sure wouldnt hurt to prepare....
Strange, we've had ower outages and lack of gov provided water in swe several times, there's a few villages in sweden that has been without water/electricity for months now since some storm.

Guess what? Go ahead, take a wild guess...

Ya, thats right, you're retarded. Good guess.

Here's a pro-tip for you, education. Try it sometime. Fascinating how the most educated nations in the world are also the ones with the least crime, and how those same nations are inhabited by rational people. What a strange coincidence! People with education dont freak out when there's a power otuage, nor do they stock up like braindead hamsters when the government says: OMFG THREAT LEVEL BANANA PINEAPPLE ELEPHANT JUICE!

BETTER COVER YOUR HOUSE IN PLASTIC AND DUCTAPE NOW! GO GO GO! NEVER KNOW WHEN THERE'S GONNA BE AN ATTACK OF SARIN GAS! OR SMALLPOX! OR ANTHRAX! OR A NUKE! GODDAMNED! A NUKE!
BUILD A SHELTER! QUICK! HURRY! YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE!
DIE! TERROR! PLAGUE! WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! PANIC!

Or you could just relax a bit and get some education. Interesstingly, I have candles, matches, water, ability to warm myself with fire, shelter, knowledge to survive in the "wild" and food (non-refrigerated) to last me for a month.

And guess what... I didnt get it cause im freaked out and scared shitless. I got it cause it's common fork sense. No need to go retarded just beacuse there's been a year long campaign on TV talking about terrorists and WMD's, trust your government!

Education and common sense, get some or stfu!
Morons.
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Z!re wrote:Fascinating how the most educated nations in the world are also the ones with the least crime, and how those same nations are inhabited by rational people.
I hate to say it, but America is an educated country. Why arn't you being rational? You are educated -- you're a great programmer. I don't believe that sid was trying to imply panic. However, in south-east Ohio, flooding is a major problem. During the spring, many homes go without electricity or water, and sometimes without food for many days.

Although very few die, it would make the expierience a hell of a lot more comfortable. I know that I, for one, like having food, water, and warmth.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Nathan1993 wrote:I hate to say it, but America is an educated country.
Good one :D made my day :lol:
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

America makes an attempt to be an educated country. It's illegal to not go to school until 9th grade or your 16 years old.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Nathan1993 wrote:America makes an attempt to be an educated country. It's illegal to not go to school until 9th grade or your 16 years old.
Yes, indeed.
I have left this dump.