Newbie Here!

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

CDRIVE
Coder

Newbie Here!

Post by CDRIVE »

After a seemingly endless search to find a truly active and civil QB group I have finally found it!

My primary interest in QB, besides the fact that it's just plain fun, is to write COM programs to

communicate with the RS232 port. Most of them will be for I/O control for my electronics projects.

My complete QB4.5 package was given to me some 8 years ago by my wife, who hardly used it, or so

she says!?!?. She's a recently retired COBOL Programmer Analyst, with over 33 years of combined

COBOL, Fortran, Assembler, Pascal, CICS, EasyTrieve, ET+, NCR Basic, RPG, Crystal, and whatever! She

even worked with languages that had seemingly nothing on the screen but Hexadecimal data. She says I

was looking at a DUMP??? You could go blind looking at it! Regardless of all that background..it's for

naught. She won't help me one iota! She says she doesn't want to ever see another line of code....EVER!

I promise that I will be grateful (and say so) for any information that I extract from this group. I'm a

neophyte QBer, and I realize that you folks are obviously quite advanced. I will do my damndest not to

sound like an idiot that just stumbled in here.

BTW, this is my second post of this message. The first one never made it?

Looking forward to some learning.
CDRIVE,
Delray Beach ,Florida

No! I'm not retired. I'm an EE and I'm still working.
comperr

Post by comperr »

wow! the QBs got a new guy (most new programmers start with newer programs now).
If you are looking for tuts. search around the site.
For specific questions ask here.
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Welcome aboard, CDRIVE!

I've been programming for 44 years, and have seen a lot of stuff from your wife's experience, especially the IBM stuff. I did assembler for 25 years, from mainframes, into minis, and then microprocessors. Somewhere along the way I got into Basic and then QuickBasic. Have done a lot of very interesting projects with QB in various jobs.

Besides "normal" application programs, many of our members are very good at graphics and game programming. I'm not.

Being an EE, I would expect you to want to do some scientific programming. Don't see much of that around here. I've done a little.

Anyway, decide what type of programs you want to write, and I'm sure that several of us will be able to help you.

Basic is fundamentally an easy language to program in. Who knows, we may even get your wife interested. Lots of Fortran programmers switched over to Basic.

Regards..... Moneo
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

i think they have a few programs also over at qbasicstation
on COM stuff if you like that sorta thing...
CDRIVE
Coder

Post by CDRIVE »

Thanks for the welcome folks. Can someone point me to some FAQ's that explain what these functions are above the posting text box?
[quote]

Code: Select all

[list][list=][url] & Close Tags? Please don't let it be a DUH question!

CDRIVE