Syraphage Demo

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

seifer503

Syraphage Demo

Post by seifer503 »

does anyone notice that those graphics were ripped from Secret of Mana by Squaresoft? why does this get such a high score for ripped graphics?
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Hmmm... I guess I didn't know that back when I wrote the review. Oh well. They're still great graphics. (Now I know why, heheh...)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

LiquidX insisted that he made the graphics himself. Oh well...guess that's one more piece of proof that he was always a bloody liar. :(
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Wow, Nek, you've been a posting fiend today!
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

When I'm active on forums, I post a lot. :D You need to drag more people's butts here man, even if they kick and scream. :D
barok_unlogged

Post by barok_unlogged »

i don't think they were ripped from som...

are you sure you got the newest demo? the newest i'm aware of is version 4. you can download it here. After taking a look at the tiles, i don't think he ripped them... Squares tiles look much more professional. Compare the trees for one.

http://www.zext.net/berzniz/contents.html#

The only rpg demo i'm aware of that actually ripped the sprites from SOM is an rpg demo named Endless Nameless.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

You know what sucks though...there were far too many demos back in the QBRPG craze and not nearly enough finished games. Everyone and their grandmother thought they had the next greatest thing when it came to an RPG and yet not many people ever really produced anything more than a scrolling engine and a lot of hype in order to gain some sort of recognition on a web forum. It was quite pathetic but hey, those were the good ole days, weren't they? :D
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I still see hype over Tsugumo's The Game, and if I remember correctly, it was a tile by tile engine with one town and a cemetery....and a few NPCs. It had great graphics and witty dialogue, but it really was nothing to write home about. But that games was (and still is) worshipped.

Syraphage had the same type of following, and it never really got anywhere either. Back then, all a game needed to get hyped up in the QB community was good graphics.
barok_unlogged

Post by barok_unlogged »

I missed the qbrpg demo craze. I missed those good old days. those were the days qb really flourished, wasn't it? :(
I'm really hoping i will finish my rpg, and not let it settle in the demo zone.

Tsugumo's "The Game" was good, but not great. The thing i liked best about it was the graphics. The portraits and and tiles were well drawn for being 16x16. The witty dialogue was next. But it's really nothing special...

Perhaps my favourite demo is Tsugumo's and Frozen Emu's "Untitled" That demo was great... My only complaint was that it froze every once in a while. It took me an eternity to find it to download it, but it was worth it. It had the most amazing graphics i've ever seen in a qbrpg, and the storyline wasn't too shaby either.
Jocke The Beast
Coder

Post by Jocke The Beast »

barok_unlogged wrote: Perhaps my favourite demo is Tsugumo's and Frozen Emu's "Untitled" That demo was great... My only complaint was that it froze every once in a while. It took me an eternity to find it to download it, but it was worth it. It had the most amazing graphics i've ever seen in a qbrpg, and the storyline wasn't too shaby either.
One of the best qbrpgs in my opinion. Great athmosphere and fine graphic....could payed them if they had finished that game into a finished version...sadly they didn't...
"Some men get the world, other men get ex hookers and a trip to Arizona."
m2j

re untitled

Post by m2j »

That demo can stand alone as an entire game (well, mini rpg), and should be treated as such. Its in my top five qb games (the only demo)...

matt
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Where can I find this good game? :D
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

There's a demo of an older version (2.0 I think) in both the Downloads and Reviews section.

Elsewhere on the Internet, you can find newer releases. I would check QBRPGs.

-Pete
barok
Coder

Post by barok »

we're still talking about untitled, right?

anyways, i got a version on my computer... i'll check to see what version it is and if it's newer i'll upload it.

Btw, untitled is VERY elusive... it took me a very long time to find it.
I have no sig.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Actually, we were still talking about Syraphage there.

Anyway... Untitled is quite easily available. Well, not quite easily, but I found it within about a minute of searching. :)

Tsugumo used to have a site devoted to Untitled, which went down at some point. But the ENTIRE site, including all images and the .zip file for Untitled are available on an Archive.org backup copy:
http://web.archive.org/web/200104010434 ... .swoo.net/

You can also find Untitled on Tsugumo's Online Portfolio site:
http://tsugumo.swoo.net/portfo/

I know this because I've been doing some research on Tsugumo for the next issue of "QB Express". I'm also going to try emailing him soon to see if he'll write a little response. But you guys are gonna have to wait for the next issue to see what's going on, heheh.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I still remember when Tsugumo tried setting up a "professional game development studio" and I got an email from him...wow, what a joke that was...professionals don't use nicknames, first of all, they use real names (he addressed me by my nickname rather than my real name when he and the rest of the Qmunity already knows my real name), and he was saying that the games will be sold on ebay (real dev studios have distributions lines already set up before they write their code, or they have a game so killer that they will have no problem finding a distributer to take the risk). Anyways...they (he) invited me to take part in it and I turned them (him) down. Glad I did, actually... :D

Note: not that Tsu's a bad guy, he's a great ole chap and all that, but with a business strategy like that, he stands no chance in hell in the professional game development world. :D