QB Express #23

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

QB Express #23

Post by Pete »

<p><strong>QB Express #23</strong> -- Posted by <a href="mailto:pberg1@ithaca.edu">Pete</a> on August 14, 2007<br>
Our August issue, <a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... x.html">QB Express #23</a>, is now available!<br><br>This month's edition is absolutely gigantic, with ELEVEN tutorials and one of our biggest News / Gallery sections ever. This month, Lachie Dazdarian teaches you all about angles; Stoves fills us in on Speed Equalization in FB; learn how to make a Chess, Tic-Tac-Toe or Cellular Automata program; Stylin brings us three tutorials; MystikShadows wraps up his seven-part Professional Software Development series; and more.<br><br>We also have our biggest comics section yet; "Confessions of a Game Designer" by Lachie D.; a Gallery that features seven different games...and finally, an update on the Qlympics!<br><br>It's all right here, in <a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... x.html">QB Express #23</a>!</p>
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Bear my children!

Seriously, great work.

But a quick note. Really shame the best ports of QB games to FB got bombed out during nominations for Qlympics. I'm really curious about the number of nominations in that category. Care to reveal that, Pete?
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Stoves
Veteran

Post by Stoves »

Fantastic issue! Once again, thanks for all the hard work!

Good luck with your move to LA and transition to life in the TV industry, Pete!
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Hey Lachie -- there ended up being 9 different nominees in the QB to FB Port category. Here's the order that they all placed:

1. Dark Ages
2. Secret of Cooey
3. Wetspot 10th Anniversary Remix
--------------
4. Another World Memory
5. Red Jumpy Ball
6. SimpleFB Shooter
7. (Write-in votes... there were 3, all for different games)

The top three beat out the other nominees by a huge margin, so I decided to go with only three games.

It seems people voted for games they recognized and like in their QB versions, rather than who did the actual best port.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Nice issue, big package. Thanks for all you guys for your efforts. QB/FB communities with out this magazine would be same than watching tv with out a image :lol:

It was nice surprice to see Bungy nominated, eventho competitors are that level that im surprised if even one vote for Bungy :D

Hopefully stupid flame and troll wars are now passed. I agree with you that everything should not be published.

Best luck, im waiting for next issue. Now im out of printer so cant print it. But i survive :lol:

[edit]
p.s. I think it was big mistake to not nominate FBSound wich is imo, best FB library.
[/edit]
BadMrBox
Veteran

Post by BadMrBox »

Nice work all :D
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I'm ready to work on #24; I already have ideas on some new tutorials (that's about all I can write :D ).
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Thanks for the info, Pete. That's why I never liked community voting. Not that I think people are dumb, but the majority just doesn't take the time to seriously reconsider and analyze their choice. They just click. I mean, do I have to mention People Choice Awards?

Best Action game, Best RPG and Best Strategy game categories resulted in fair nominees by my opinion, except that I think Mini Space Empires and especially CODELINK deserved to be in the final round too.

With text-based game I'm not all that happy with Hungry Jocke making up into the final, with games like Tetris 2 and Anal - The Rectum Adventures falling out.

With Best Graphics and Sound Design categories I can only state again my huge disappointment with people ignoring Pieslice's products MUX and Terrascape. I really don't understand community's indifference toward these 3D masterpieces in QBasic. And Frantic Journey graphics are not excellent, for crying out out loud! Look at them. They are a mess!

For Best Villain, Hunk and Babe categories I don't care much, but I should not that the Villain in Cyber Chick is called Clinton, not Bill Clinton. :P Never assume, Pete.

Best FB Ports of a Past QB Game are so convincingly Kingdoms (which sadly got left out), Another World Memory and Red Jumpy Ball. Others are just fine, but I despise quick and dirty ports where people do the minimum effort and don?t fix a single bug/mistake from the old version. Not to mention some new bugs I was recently warned about in Dark Ages FreeBASIC.

Now, after this useless display of one man?s opinion, I?m moving toward the rest of the magazine.

Once more, you did a great work with the news section, and thanks for taking the extra effort to make the best possible scoop of the community happenings for the last few months. I?m glad I could help with some game news there.

I did notice one mistake. In the news about ciw1973?s competition you placed a wrong screenshots of Mighty Line. I?m surprised you made that mistake with the original name of the screenshot being ?transplant? and not mightyline, but I guess when in hurry one does such errors. The screenshot your posted is from an old Amiga game, and was used in my discussion about one of the entries related to D.J.Peters? multiput routine. Perhaps you can have some ?corrections? section in the next issue, pointing out all the mistakes from the previous issue of the magazine. I know newspapers having such sections.

It was great fun reading your response on the whole Z!re business and Pritchard?s article contra QBE. I didn?t know Pritchard doesn?t like me. And what?s that about everybody knowing that but me. Do you guys have some secret gathering I don?t know about? I wanna go too! :P

Anyway, I don?t agree with probably all his points. You mentioned some things in your reply to him in the FreeBASIC.net forum I thought too. I am glad both of you are treating this discussion peacefully and constructively. I don?t have time now to write something more coherent as I need to make an update for FBGD, so perhaps I?ll write something tomorrow, or leave that for a letter to QBE.

It was nice to see so many tutorials in this issue, but the articles section did feel somewhat lacking this time. I miss SJ Zero and Deleters ?rants.? Love those. And the tutorials section contained a fair chunk of those that didn?t intrigue me. I find it especially difficult to get into stylin?s style of writing and choice of topics, but I?ll try later.

Once more, excellent work!
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Lachie, this post would make a good letter to the editor. Can I publish it as such?
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Don't worry. I'll write something better. There's a lot till the next issue. :)
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Anybody want some specs for tutorials? I'm thinking of wireframe.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I noticed "phoenix" was misspelled.

Twice.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Mentat wrote:Anybody want some specs for tutorials? I'm thinking of wireframe.
DEFINATELY i want it...darn right :-)
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

?
:? You want the wireframe or do you want to give specs?
By specs I mean theme and focus.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

If you want my wireframe program, go see my thread on the loading thingamajig. If you want my wireframe tutorial; I haven't written it yet.