battle engine

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I would like a copy of the tutorial if it's not too much trouble. I'd like to add it to my tutorials section. But I don't want you to go out of your way to get it either.

Is Eclipzer still around? Chances are he probably still has a copy of it, if you know how to contact him. That might be easier and faster.

And if you don't go find it, no sweat at all. I'm just trying to collect every QB tutorial ever made. :)
DarkDread
Coder

Post by DarkDread »

I have no idea where to find the tut, or Eclipzer, heh... sorry. I know he used to use aol... I belive his email was eclipzer at aol.com ...but it's been a while, so I could be wrong. I don't really keep in touch with the former DE team (Well, 'cept for my wife of course, heheh).
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

WHOA its DARKDREAD... you tought me pretty much all I know about RPGs!
benjiboy
Coder

Looking for Eclipzer, looking for NEXUS 13. Help!

Post by benjiboy »

I want to do a hex map game like JawsV's RPG1. He used NEXUS 13, but as per this thread it and he seem to have disappeared!
Nemesis wrote:Pete, regarding that floor-mapping tutorial DarkDread mentioned,
that Eclipzer wrote. I beleive I have it somwhere on an old HD.
I'd have to reconnect it, and browse thorough it, but I know it's in there somewhere. So, if you're intrested, I will find the time
to atleast search for it. But I'm not going to bother if you don't
think you'll need it.

P.s...

Me and Eclipzer were pretty close, I even helped him on both his Nexus-13
libraries, and he helped me on some of my projects too. So, I don't think he'd mind if I gave you the tut. (In fact I know he wouln't,
since I beleive the tut was a public release off his old site :D )

Well, let me know,

Cya!
:(
Benjiboy

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Be who you are, not who others say you should be.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Eclipzer

Floor Mapping Lives

Post by Eclipzer »

After a late night of self-googling, I ran across this thread and decided to reconstruct my floor mapping tutorial. I've modified it a bit for clarity, but honestly, there's a lot of room for improvement here (better diagrams, clearer process, better defined tutorial structure, etc). Yet, it is what it is, and hopefully someone will find this useful. Maybe I'll do a more thorough series on the subject in the future. Could be fun. =P

Eclipzer's Floor Mapping Tutorial

--Eclipzer
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Nice tutorial Eclipzer. you need to get writing on some more for your fans to read ;-) ... namely...me...from now on hehe.

Great work.
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
dragonz

sorta helped

Post by dragonz »

these are definately going to help but I am curios about one thing. about how long from the time you started to learn to code did it take you to get to a point where u could do something like this by yourself?
just wondering cause At one point I helped work on forbidden lands a mud and I have totaly forgot everything I know about coding cause its been like 15 years or so and I cant even do the equivelant of the first one of these tutorials without help anymore much less do any graphics
Pete wrote:I found all of these tutorials with a quick Google search, by the way. I'm sure there are more out there...perhaps you can find a non-QB specific battle engine tutorial that uses pseudo code?

The best suggestion I can give you is to download source code to QB RPGs and study how the battle engine works. This can be the best way to learn, especially if the code is well commented.

Anyway, I hope these help!
________
mflb