Is FB QB in disguise?

The forum for all of your Freebasic needs!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

burger2227
Veteran

100% ?

Post by burger2227 »

It is obvious that nothing will never be 100% completed , just as surely as any program you make can always use a few more tweaks or additions. Is any project ever 100% done?

If FB could have just added functionality and kept 100% compatability with previous versions of QB and FB, there would be absolutely no reason for me not to try it. There is intense pressure already being applied to the QB64 project to add stuff and it is not even close to being done! I think the same pressure was on the original FB team also. If QB64 loses the original idea of QB compatability, I won't use it either.

Sure, that is a lot to ask, but I have too much QB code to convert if I just jump into FB. FB has some nice additions, but at what price? That is probably the main reason people argue about it in the first place.

Still King! Not a gamer however.
Ted
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Plasma
Coder

Post by Plasma »

Nodtveidt wrote:By the way, does anyone happen to know Plasma's real name? All I could find is the name "Jon Petrosky". Anyone know if this is is right?
My name is on almost everything I've ever released...so yes, that's correct. You going to stalk me or something? :P
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Heheh no, just wanted to know for the credits.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

coderJeff wrote:Serious question: if users are still using versions <= 0.16, what would it take to get them to try newer versions?
An updated compiler for the IDE? I still use the old FBIDE. It works well enough for me. :mrgreen:
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I'm still using FBIDE for Two Lords (it simplifies adding resources), but anything else I use FB for I just code in Notepad and compile from the command line.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Nodtveidt wrote:I'm still using FBIDE for Two Lords (it simplifies adding resources), but anything else I use FB for I just code in Notepad and compile from the command line.
I only use Notepad for header files and data. I still make too many errors to do most of my work there. And I like the color coding scheme of the IDE. I lost track of the times I used Color and Time as variables.
phycowelder

Post by phycowelder »

Serious question: if users are still using versions <= 0.16, what would it take to get them to try newer versions?
i didn't know what most every one was talking about!
cause i only looked at the FBIDE page for updates!
it was old! really old! when i went to the official HP for FB
and found v.18 i up loaded it!

but cause i was only introduced to FBIDE!
i had a problem! but...

after looking in the setup in FBide Menu i changed Compiler
addresses for the new FBC.EXE!

so far its awesome, also rerouted the new CHM file to FBIDE!
i don't even notice a difference! except i have to Dimentionalize every Variable now! big deal! now all my old code works to!
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

The IDE can be updated?
coderJeff
Coder

Post by coderJeff »

Depends on what you mean by updated.

In FBIDE, you can choose View | Settings | FreeBASIC and change the location of the fbc compiler, location of the help file, and command options passed to the compiler.

As for the IDE itself, I guess the last sources were lost before committed to CVS. See this message from VonGondric about that http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... 8878#58878
phycowelder

Post by phycowelder »

so far i have found no problems with the updated IDE!
some new comands dont show up Color coded, but it functions the same!
BadMrBox
Veteran

Post by BadMrBox »

I personally use both FBIde and FBEdit. Grown into FBEdit lately. Works like a charm.
SMC
Coder

Post by SMC »

You can add keywords in the settings menu. Go to View->Settings then click on the keywords tab. Really the only thing FBide can't do is projects, but you can create batch files for that.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

SMC wrote:You can add keywords in the settings menu. Go to View->Settings then click on the keywords tab.
But what can they do?
SMC
Coder

Post by SMC »

It's for text highlighting in the editor. If something new is added to the language you can add the keyword for it to FBide and it will be highlighted when you type it.
coderJeff
Coder

Post by coderJeff »

coderJeff wrote:As for making "-lang deprecated" a supported dialect, ...
Follow up on this here:
http://www.petesqbsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2617