Remember QuickHost?

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

tlsuess
Veteran

Remember QuickHost?

Post by tlsuess »

Not sure if you remember QuickHost but I started a file host similar to QuickHost before it became FileAnchor and later went offline.

http://www.sixbynine.net/filequick/

Feel free to use it for your QB/FB code. Like the old QH, it uses GeSHi to highlight code.

Let me know what you think. I'm always happy to hear positive feedback and what I can improve upon.

Thanks,
Todd
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

very cool thanks....
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

I remember QuickHost and really liked its simplicity so I made a clone of it.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

is there a way to extend it to 6-12 months for files under a certain
size? alot of qbasic programs are less than 250k....

for exmaple most of mine are under 100k..
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

I'll see about increasing the duration overall to like a half-year or one year.

One thing I'll be experimenting with is On-Demand Hosting. It's where you get like 5 GB for free for a certain duration and at the end it will erase everything you put up. You can use it for the entire duration.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Dude, I see what you did now. Ripping of other people's stuff is not cool.

Basing your work off of something is fine, but you copied all the images and the html/css code directly :/

I guess as long as you keep the notice at the bottom I can live with it... Hm.
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

I like to give credit to the original creators but FileAnchor is no longer online and QuickHost is long gone.

I didn't rip off the code. I just used the look and feel from archived remnants in the WayBack Machine. I wrote the back-end code myself.

Like I said, I like to give credit so I have put the names of the original creators at the bottom and on the About page.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Wow, Zap lives. Incredible. :D
Zap

Post by Zap »

Indeed I do :P Anywhere all the "oldies" hang around still or has it all crumbled?

tlsuess: At least be man enough to admit you ripped the html/css code... I can recognize my own stuff. But as I said, it's fine, as long as you keep the credits there (I don't see our names anywhere on the about page though.)

As for the source release I mentioned in the other post, it was of a newer version of it (two actually, v2 and v3) none of which exists anymore either due to funding issues, internal struggles and me loosing interest in coding them. Im sure you can find them if you dig around (though the hosts could be down, meh).
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

Yes I did use your design. The site was long gone and I thought there wouldn't be any harm in using it. I apologize for doing so but I wrote the PHP behind this one mainly because QuickHost was so cool. If you want me to change it, I will.
Zap

Post by Zap »

No Im saying its okay as long as you keep the credits there.
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

That's fine with me. Thanks again Zap! Like I said, QuickHost was cool and I wanted to make a "carbon copy." A lot of QB sites are dying and Qmunities weren't what they used to be.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

okay hopefully this has been resolved...

i'm going to lock the thread to preserve the communication
for future reference...