Dragon Stone Quest screenshots

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

coma8coma1
Veteran

Dragon Stone Quest screenshots

Post by coma8coma1 »

just some quick screenies I took this morning using QB64.

Note that the text looks a little funky because the incomplete incorporation of the DRAW statement in QB64 as of yet. I'm told this will probably correct itself in the next incarnation of QB64.

Just showing off mah purdy gfx..
ImageImage
ImageImage

The game is playable but you run out of things to do after about 10 minutes. Longer if you're playing for the first time of course. I plan to have a downloadable package available soon to allow people to have a look. I'm debating wether or not to include the editors with that. If I do it would let you create your own tiles, maps, monsters, items, weapons; pretty much everything except the placement of things and interactions within maps, because that's done in the actual code itself.

K, lemme know first impressions based on screenshots. All questions and criticism welcome.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Great example :) I like the how the game is looking...and I think it's a great example of how well qb64 is doing.

Way to go for you and Galleon. :)
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
coma8coma1
Veteran

Post by coma8coma1 »

yeah, I had my reservations about my QBASIC code running on someone's elses stuff, and sure enough first try. qb64 is really impressing me with it's compatibility. i've since tried several other projects and they've all ran perfect except for a couple little instances involving that DRAW command. very cool 8)
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Hi coma8coma1.

I am a big fan of that kind of "old-school" genre. I love the graphics you have created for this game. You can count that when comes the day when i can try it out (if you provide *nix version of it), i will.

But based on those screenshots only, it is bit hard to say more. Ill stay on tune with this one.
coma8coma1
Veteran

Post by coma8coma1 »

woot! old school RPGs for the win! Glad you like :wink:

The artwork is probably my strong point. I'm not much of a programmer being totally self-taught as a sort of hobby on the side.

I hope we can find a way to make it run on as many operating systems as possible, but if it's not Windows then I don't know it. I'm clueless about anything else. It'd be great to have someone try it out on Linux, etc!

I read about a QB64 user over on qb64.net who got the IDE going with Wine. I don't know if that's a PITA or what. Hopefully with everyone's input we can make it the best it can be.

Oh and greetings from the US!
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Well, im using QB-IDE with linux here all the time. Currently having some fun with my old QB codes.
Linux version comes bit behind of windows one, but QB64 is very functional under linux too.
coma8coma1
Veteran

Post by coma8coma1 »

so if the qb64 IDE and your old games run well in Linux, do you think that's a good indication that DSQ might run good as well??
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Well, that depends do you use OS-depedencies in your code. But if you use QB commands and features only, then it should run just fine. Thought, linux version of QB64 is bit older than latest windows version so some problems might be headed.

But as far as i have understund, next release of QB64 should make linux and windows versions in same dev-level.

If you want, throw me the source at asciiworld(AT)gmail.com and i can try it out.
coma8coma1
Veteran

Post by coma8coma1 »

okay E.K., I sent you the bare minimum that should be required to run DSQ. it's just the source code and the data folder that contains all the graphics and stuff. it should be as simple as creating a folder called c:\dsq\ and unzipping the the contents there. good luck, and let us know what you find out! thanks -coma8
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

I replied, so check your email. gmail seems to go in to the spam too often these days.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Looks good! I'm glad QB64 was able to run the code so well.

Is there an alternative to using the DRAW command for your text? There must be a more compatible and speedier way to achieve that effect.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

The DRAW bug should be fixed in QB64 with the next update in about 3 weeks.

The Linux version should be updated also. DRAW did not work at all in the previous version.
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
coma8coma1
Veteran

Post by coma8coma1 »

E.K.Virtanen wrote:I replied, so check your email....
line 1292

Code: Select all

SUB Draw.All
Compiler is expecting ()
but adding the () doesn't fix it huh?

how much you wanna bet that's the "dot in the line label" bug that was fixed in a recent update? I read about it briefly on qb64.net, but the only way to be sure is to wait until v0.841 comes out. Galleon is projecting a window somewhere around the 1st of September.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Yep, it is because of the dot there. I assume that one topic at qb64.com explains why it is a problem.

E.K.Virtanen
coma8coma1
Veteran

Post by coma8coma1 »

dang, then we can't test it out yet. anybody else wanna take a whack at it? don't have to be a Linux user. I'm just wondering what people think of mah game. :oops:
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

How about changing dots with "_"? It would be easy to do. Just use some decent editor and replace.

E.K.Virtanen
coma8coma1
Veteran

Post by coma8coma1 »

E.K.Virtanen wrote:How about changing dots with "_"? It would be easy to do. Just use some decent editor and replace.

E.K.Virtanen
i dunno man. isn't qb64 v0.841 going to resolve this? we're looking at possibly as soon as one week from now release date. i'm stoked! can't wait to my text working again.

is the linux version going to be released at the same time? if not, then maybe i'll edit it enough sometime to get it running on your end. in the meantime feel free to alter the code to make it work. ;)
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

hmm...to be honest, i dont remember for sure was linux version updated also. Too lazy now to check it out lol.
I hope i can get my hands on new version too. I do have windows laptop here too, but its mostly used by our 16 months old daughter and to be honest, laptop is not in best shape anymore after few hours of keyboard fun with daughter :lol:
coma8coma1
Veteran

Post by coma8coma1 »

E.K.Virtanen wrote:hmm...to be honest, i dont remember for sure was linux version updated also..
lol awesome! the part about about the baby playing on the laptop haha. take pictures of her to show her when she's older!

Galleon said that the Linux one will be updated too. http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?topic=348.0
hopefully by this time next week! :D
coma8coma1
Veteran

now running in qb64 v0.841

Post by coma8coma1 »

Text is showing up correctly now when compiled with qb64 v0.841 In fact it's looking really good.

Here's some screenies of me sailing around with the Ship In A Bottle item and getting beat up good by a Scorpion in the desert.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Ship In A Bottle is found late game and is needed to reach some of the final areas on the world map. Once it's equipped you just walk into the water. This Water Snake is weak against cold attacks and quickly sucumbs to the use of the Ice Rod item in this shot.

Ringed Vipers are one of the tougher critters found downstairs in The Ruins at the beginning of the game. You should try and be at least level 2, prefereably level 3 and wearing armor such as Robes or Rawhide before trying to complete the puzzles beneath The Ruins

Scorpions are found in the deserts and in a certain cave on the Island of Kjuln and should not be engaged by a player lower than experience level 5. It helps to have a strong enough weapon that can dispatch it in one or two hits or you risk getting stung. The sting does "chemical" damage (poisons, gasses, acid attacks, etc) and at this early stage in the game the player has no defense against chem damage.

If anyone wants to fool around with DSQ I will be preparing a package for email delivery. The game is incomplete and the player will quickly run out of things to do in 10 or 15 minutes, but with the cheat code one can play with high powered weapons and spells and junk. :thumbsup: