need a free compiler for 16-bit

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

angros47
Veteran

need a free compiler for 16-bit

Post by angros47 »

QBasic is great, but it isn't free software; I'd like to write a program in basic, and compile it for 16-bit, too, under GPL: is there a good basic compiler, compatible with QB, but open source, for 16 bit (so, not freebasic or QB64)?

thanks
BigBadKing
Veteran

Post by BigBadKing »

answer consisting of one word...

no

:|
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

Thanks, but:

PowerBasic: not free, still sold for $99, not open-source
CheeseCake: not a true compiler, only an interpreter/pcode interpreter.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

There are no free 16 bit BASIC compilers that are compatible with QB code, or even close enough to compatible. ASIC is about as close as you'll get, but good luck putting it to good use. You might also consider MoonRock.
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

Thanks anyway; in the meantime, I've found:

BASM 286, on http://www.bcxgurus.com/ (bottom of the page)

newbasic http://www.exmortis.narod.ru/comp_src/newbasic.zip

Any opinion about them?
Thank
bongomeno
Veteran

Post by bongomeno »

BASM is not bad, but not really QB compatible. but as with most BASICs it should not be a problem to move over to it...
BigBadKing
Veteran

Post by BigBadKing »

:| Newbasic is good but is not really like Qbasic... but its worth a try.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

16 BIT? Why would you want that? It is just a matter of time before that stuff will be history. VISTA already tried to do that!

Windows 7 video drivers may not handle it either, even in XP mode.
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
bongomeno
Veteran

Post by bongomeno »

As long as I am alive 16 bit and even 8 bit WILL NOT DIE!
What is wrong with 16 bit? And why question it on a forum dedicated to 16 bit programming...?a

ATARI 4 LIFE!
angros47
Veteran

Post by angros47 »

Right! Even for 8 bit programs are still developed (have you heard about Contiki?)
BigBadKing
Veteran

Post by BigBadKing »

burger, there are still people who use 8-bit and 16-bit. you cant blame
them for not having a 32-bit or 64-bit (i hate VISTA!).
<a href="http://mccorp.orgfree.com">Macselent Corporation Offical Site</a>
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

There are still plenty of systems that can ONLY run 16 bit programs. Certain systems based on 65816 CPUs, for example, can only run 8 or 16 bit code. There are thousands of embedded systems out there that use 16 bit CPUs. They greatly benefit from a 16 bit compiler, even if it's BASIC.

And I think just about everyone hates Vista, even Microsoft themselves. That's why they let Windows 7 out of the bag so quickly.
bongomeno
Veteran

Post by bongomeno »

I still run a 32 bit Atari ST. and a 16 bit Atari portfolio. and several Atari 8 bits.

I even program the Atari 2600 with Batari Basic. With a .NET ide.... on windows XP and 7
BigBadKing
Veteran

Post by BigBadKing »

mines is a 32-bit Windows 98SE, for 5 months i was even using
MS Dos. 16-bit. :mrgreen:
SumoAlien

Post by SumoAlien »

Im using Windows 3.1, dude.
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

I'm not "blaming" anybody for having 16 bit stuff. I have a ton of it on my 98 machine. My first(3.1) machine got tossed out by that bitch I married. It had tons of 16 bit games, but in her house, if something breaks you throw it out.

I'm just saying that technology is running fast from it. In fact, I believe that the ONLY reason everybody is going to 64 bit is for gamers. Who else really needs it? Businesses killed Vista and perhaps they will not go for Windows 7 either. They often use "old" software too!

When the old machines can no longer be fixed, you will be stuck with the latest technology whether you like it or not. Even Linux 64 cannot run QB64 because the compiler is still 32 bit. God knows what M$ has planned!
They don't make any money without changing everything every 3 or 4 years... NEW SOFTWARE....NEW HARDWARE...MORE PROFITS

PS: QB64 WILL be open source and FREE once the licensing is taken care of. It uses 3 libraries with general licenses that need to be included in the documentation when it is released. Why fuss about legal sleeze? WHO is gonna sue you anyhow? I can guarantee that you will never make a profit on any programs you make.
Last edited by burger2227 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

What licensing stuff? Hrm...I offered to help him out on several occasions but he swatted my hand away so to hell with him...I could easily help him with the legal aspects of QB64 but since he doesn't want my help, oh well.
TmEE
Veteran

Post by TmEE »

bongomeno wrote:I still run a 32 bit Atari ST. and a 16 bit Atari portfolio. and several Atari 8 bits.
a necropost, but the ST is 16bit... 68000 is not 32bit, though it can perform 32bit operations... Mega Drive / Genesis would be 32bit too then :P
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa :P
bongomeno
Veteran

Post by bongomeno »

well, I think I can get away with calling it 32 but because the name ST means 16/32 =] most people cant tell.